Super host status issues

Answered!
Todd383
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Super host status issues

I’ve been a host for about 6 years most of them as a super host. I had two back to back reviews that were not 5 star 1 because she thought I had a pool and she wanted to use my entire back yard for a party then got nasty and put tampons in my sink the very next guest was very unhappy that his sink backed up and it took me a day to get it fixed m, so I  lost my status. The problem is when I ad up my ratings from Airbnb I am a super host  I have 3-4.9, 2-4.8, 1 4.7 if you ad that up it comes to 4.835so then I added all of my scores for the past 12 months It came to 4.8625 .Problem is they are telling me I have a 4.7 even though on my page it say 4.78 and it said that and hasn’t changed even though my last 10 reviews were solid 5 stars and the refuse to audit my account to check the numbers. Telling me the computer doesn’t make mistakes.  I am so frustrated to say the least

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Todd383 it is only the overall rating (for last 12 months) that counts in the Superhost calculation.

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Todd383 it is only the overall rating (for last 12 months) that counts in the Superhost calculation.

Yes I know that

But what if your guest dings you for telling the guest that they are breaking the rules via communications to the guest.  Does Airbnb back out those rating?  It seems to me the guest is mad that they got caught breaking House Rules and hence leave a lower rating overall

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Bob6 

Once upon a time, you could get a 'revenge review' removed if you had enough evidence (e.g. in the Airbnb message thread). I had one removed several years ago when I brought up a guest on damage, ignoring house rules etc. and she became hostile. 

However, since then, Airbnb tightened up it's review policy so as to distance itself from these types of disputes, i.e. "he said, she said" type arguments. There might be proof of who is telling the truth, but they would rather not get into it.

You could certainly try to get the review/ratings removed. Some hosts have reported occasionally having success with this, but there is no guarantee as the standard CS response seems to be "It's not violating our content policy," and "it's the guest's experience." No harm in trying though. You might get lucky!

Sally200
Level 2
Salem, MO

I am having the same issue. When I look at my site as a customer, it says 4.94. Airbnb  has just told me I have a 4.7 and so I lose my superstar. How can I have a 4.94 one minute and a 4.7 the next?  I went over my last 5-6 reviews and found no low scores unless I can’t see them. I looked at the criteria like they asked me to do and the target is a 4.7, which I now have. I wrote and asked Airbnb to let me see the review so I know what I need to improve but haven’t heard back. I am discouraged to say the least. I did have 2 different guests make reservations and then cancel but I can’t be held responsible for that, can I?

@Sally200  You can see exactly what stats you didn't fulfill on your hosting pages. 

And there are 2 sets of ratings, one since you started hosting, and one for the past 365 days, which is what Superhost is based on.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sally200 

No, the basic requirement is 4.7. For Superhost, it is 4.8, so you don't meet the criteria. 

As @Sarah977 mentioned, the 4.94 is your rating from all your reviews dating from when you started hosting.

Superhost assessment is based on the past year's reviews, so January 1st to December 31st 2021. Previous ratings will not be taken into account. To check your Superhost stats (from a desktop) click on the Insights tab at the top and then the Superhost link on the menu on the left hand side. You should see something like this:

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 16.11.51.png

As you can see, the criteria is 4.8, not 4.7.

To see if your rating is correct, you need to check the overall rating from all the guests who reviewed you in 2021.

8:02
Basic requirements
Nice work, Sally! You've got the basics down.
Learn more
What you're doing well
Requirement
YOU
Target >
Overall rating
4.7 *
4.7 *
Response rate
100%
90%
Cancellations
0/yr
O/yr
Accepted reservations
100%
88%
This reflects your performance over the last 365
days.

This is what I was looking at when I said the target was 4.7. The top 4.7 is my current score and right under it is the target score. They are both the same. I copied this right out of my Airbnb site under stats. I cannot find the star ratings my guests have given me, only what they wrote. And all are very positive and wonderful reviews. 

@Sally200  That is the target for "Basic", it is not the target for Superhost, which is 4.8.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sally200 you are looking at the basic requirements. To see the Superhost requirements, follow the instructions I mentioned above.

To see the star ratings guests have left you, go to 'Insights', click on 'overall quality'. Here you will see the most recent reviews, including what overall star rating the guests gave you. If you want to see what they rated you in the individual categories, click on 'read more' under each review and you will see a breakdown on the right of the screen.

Below the most recent reviews, you will see a button you can click on to see all your reviews, including the overall star ratings from guests. Under each review you can click on 'show details' to see the individual star ratings the guests left, private feedback etc. etc.

The information is all there on the website. You just have to look in the right place. It can be confusing though as Airbnb do change the layout every now and again without informing the hosts!

We all need to get together as host and demand that Air Bnb change their rating status to not mostly go with what the guest is saying… They need to make it a little bit more personal friendly than computer friendly only.

I too just went through a situation….  for the most part six years I’ve been getting super host status and you get one guest that doesn’t like the fact that your water is clear and they will give you a one overall star rating and Airbnb’s computer will take that to heart.

Knowing that water is supposed to be clear! my situation the just said I did not give her privacy… She speaking of the fact that when she first got here I directed her to her room and gave her her personal code for the door instructions on the Wi-Fi and TV she called it a lack of privacy. 

She wanted to smoke ric in my profile it clearly states this is a no smoking establishment so I mentioned that to her and she seem to be OK with it.

then she invited over unauthorized guest. I mentioned to her that any guest staying past midnight is required to pay an additional small fee and provide a copy of their government issued ID.

She only booked for two nights…. So she writes in her review James I believe is a nice guy but he’s overbearing and does not give the gas privacy. I was only at her room twice when she first checked in and win an unauthorized man showed up at my door.

My suggestion for guest like this is that they need to book an Airbnb where they have the whole place to themselves if they don’t want anybody to say anything to them

Nicola1758
Level 2
Lake Montezuma, AZ

I think Airbnb is always on the side of the guest which makes it very frustrating as a host.  Some guests are just never happy doesn't matter how amazing your place is & l find most of the time if guests give you a lower score it's for something beyond your control or because they didn't read your description or rules.  To be penalized for things like this is beyond frustrating.  l have learnt that if l'm going to loose my status I'm going to call guests out publicly for unfair reviews.  At least it makes me feel better & everyone can see how unfair that guest has been.

@Todd383 @Sarah977 @Sally200 @Huma0