Superhost Coupon

Nick2112
Level 2
Selby, United Kingdom

Superhost Coupon

I was awarded a Superhost Coupon last year, the email said: "You’ll need to book a reservation with this coupon before 1 April 2021. "  I've just tried to use  it today (24th February 2021) to book a stay from 21st to 24th May 2021 but the system won't accept it, saying it shoud be used for stays before 21st April 2021. I'm very disappointed as there was no mention of a latest date for the stay, just the latest date for booking it and the COVID restrictions in the UK means it would have been extremely difficult to book a stay before 21st April - not happy!

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nick2112  I've been wondering about this, too, as I also have a coupon due to expire March 31. I've read conflicting information as to whether it has to be booked before the expiry date or the booking needs to start before it.

@Lawrene0  I know you book as a guest, do you know the policy on this?

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

How discouraging, @Nick2112 ! I was reading it the same way you were. 

No, @Sarah977 , I don't know the policy. I was able to use my coupon last August when I needed to be out of town for work. But I'd be the same as Nick right now, wondering how and when to use the thing. 

I think you have suggested people use them for online Experiences, Sarah, and that makes sense if the system won't let you book when it is actually safe to travel. If you want an Experience.

This is walking on the edge a bit, @Nick2112 , but could you send an inquiry to the host saying you are going to book with them before April 21, but you are going to immediately put in a change request for May 21 and is that okay with them? Worth a try?

@Lawrene0  I was pretty sure I'd seen a post recently saying  you only had to book before the expiry date, whatever the dates of the reservation were, but it seems that's not true.

I don't think I have seen anything definitive, @Sarah977 , but you are right that there was something about it. Makes sense that if it says "book a reservation before XX" that you could stay anytime after XX, so speculation might have been that it would make sense. 🙂

I can see why @Nick2112 is unhappy. Hope you can work something out, Nick!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Nick2112 @Sarah977  @Lawrene0 

The $100 superhost coupon is only valid for one year. It is to be used as a coupon with an expiration date. You must use it before it expires. If it expires on April 1, 2021 then it must be used on a reservation before April 1st. 

Example:

*sensitive information hidden*

So it was just the wording in the email that was tricky then, @Emilia42 . I use mine well before the deadline each year, and was lucky (sort of) to be travelling in the pandemic this year, so hadn't had to think about it. 

@Lawrene0 I was lucky and got to use mine as well. I saw a nice thread last spring from a host who randomly booked with another host to use her credit. She explained that she wouldn't be staying (because of restrictions) but wanted to make sure the $100 got used. Free payday for a host who probably needed it! If it ever comes down to it I will certainly do the same.

Thank you @Emilia42  but your email differs from mine. As I explained in my original post, the exact wording in my email is "You’ll need to book a reservation with this coupon before 1 April 2021." Anyway, looks like I will just need to write it off to experience...

@Nick2112 That is on the actual coupon. It is strange that your e-mail is so misleading. The one I received is very black and white. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 7.19.47 AM.png

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emilia42  Thanks for the clarification.

But the email that @Nick2112 got doesn't seem to correspond to that. His voucher expires April 1st, yet it says he has to book a stay that starts before April 21st. According to what you are saying, his booking would have to start before April 1st. The 21st doesn't correspond to anything.

Andrea220
Level 3
Jackson, MS

This happened to me too. I was trying to use it to book a unique fire house for my birthday April 12th. I had been looking forward to it for almost a year (when I discovered there was a firehouse). When I went to book at the end of February, it said I had to use it before April 1st. I assumed since I was paying and using the coupon before April 1st, that was good enough. Firehouse is quite expensive so I was looking forward to treating myself with the coupon. I was expecting another coupon this week but Airbnb just informed me I lost superhost status.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Nick2112 

I'm glad to confirm there is an email going around extending the dates on Superhost vouchers. For those who are interested, you can read more about coupons and how to use them here. There is also a header talking about the extension and how to review them. 

@Andrea220 @Emilia42 @Lawrene0 

Thank you.