Superhost Relief Fund Snubs Hosts with 2 or More Active Listings

Rebecca1268
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Superhost Relief Fund Snubs Hosts with 2 or More Active Listings

I am insulted and every Superhost with 2 or more active listings should be as well! 

We started hosting a few years ago with one vacation rental home which soon grew to two, three, four and soon to be five. We love sharing our homes with amazing people from around the world. Airbnb has opened the door to tremendous opportunities for us and we are grateful. We dedicate ourselves to creating wonderful places for guests to stay and being the best hosts possible. Now, with a global pandemic, our once full reservation calendars are empty, not just during the time designated as "extenuating circumstances;" but for months to come. We are hopeful for the return of unrestricted travel and inquires and reservation requests; but right now we fear dire financial crisis. That is why we were excited to learn of the support being offered by Airbnb through the Superhost Relief Fund. What a great way to give back! But then came the slap in the face..... 

If you are a Superhost with more than 2 active listings, YOU DON'T QUALIFY FOR THE SUPERHOST RELIEF FUND!   WHAT??? I want to start this conversation because as partners of Airbnb, we need to stand together to assure our voice is heard. We hold greater risk with multiple listings and have greater opportunity to provide our partner, Airbnb, with higher earnings; but Airbnb doesn't feel the need to support us. 

How does that make you feel?

17 Replies 17
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Rebecca1268,

Lovely to meet you. You raise some important points here and so I wanted to make sure you received a response to your words from Airbnb and provide more context on the Superhost Relief Fund.

"Covid-19 is the most difficult thing we’ve ever faced as a business, and we know the same is true for many of our hosts. We want to support as many hosts as possible, and we wish we could do more. But the reality of the situation is that COVID-19 has hit our business hard, just like yours. That means we have to make difficult decisions about how to direct each support program we offer.

The spirit of this program is about supporting long-tenured hosts who are in danger of losing their primary homes. To do that, we have chosen to invite hosts who have 3 things in common:

• They've been Superhosts for a long time
  • They have significant earnings losses
  • They are sharing their primary or secondary homes

The first two criteria are more straightforward. The third is harder to measure. We know there are a lot of ways hosts approach their businesses, and the number of listings they have isn’t a representation of the care they put into welcoming guests. 

We want to help hosts stay in their homes and get back to hosting when the time is right. Choosing to invite hosts with 2 or fewer listings is a way for us to focus this program and make sure the support we provide is meaningful. If you have more than two listings at the same address—for example, if you rent out three rooms in your house—you’re still considered eligible."

I hope this help even in a small way and I wish you all the best at this time, stay safe and healthy.

I hope to speak with you again soon. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Voga0
Level 2
Crown Point, Trinidad and Tobago

Dear Lizzie,

Just as stated by @Rebecca1268 I hope Superhosts like myself aren’t left out. 

Many are looking toward our partner Airbnb to show up for us. If it’s anything that should be considered, is the fact that Airbnb ought to put its partners first because without such partners, there’ll be no hosting, no wonderful experiences, and by extension no business of Airbnb. I hope that better consideration in the selection process is given and that Superhosts are afforded  the opportunity of being supported by you our partner.  Help us help the business of Airbnb. Look at this support as a valuable investment in your partners’ business. I’m confident that Airbnb will financially benefit enormously after COVID-19 is no longer a threat to the world, as many foresee  overwhelming bookings of Airbnb vacation rentals, thereafter. Airbnb stands to win at the end.

We urge that good sense prevails and that Superhosts such as myself be treated fairly and given the opportunity to apply as I’m also eligible.

Rebecca1268
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Lizzie, 

Thank you for contacting me. I hope that you and your family are safe and well at this time. 

The points you present are exactly the reasons why I question the reason for excluding us from the Superhost Relief Fund. We should be eligible because: 

1. We are and have been Superhosts for as long as we have partnered with Airbnb. 

2. Hosting is our primary income. We have not only lost ALL of the reservations on 4 homes during the "extenuating circumstances" timeframe, but also guest who have reservations far into the year are also cancelling due to their loss of income or the general uncertainty in the world. We have no income to pay the mortgages, utilities, etc. 

3. We are sharing two of our homes. One has 11 bedrooms and we rent out 9. The other has 3 bedrooms and we rent out 2. If we loose those homes, we will have to put out those who stay in the other rooms.

We know that so many are struggling right now. We are grateful for Airbnb offering assistance. We do fit the criteria but because we have more than 2 active listings, we have been overlooked. If not for my persistence to find someone to listen to my concern, we would not have discovered that we do in fact qualify. 

It still must be noted that those hosts who, like us, host more than two homes, are incurring tremendous loss. They do carry more risk and at this time do need assistance. How will Airbnb help them?

With this being said, please confirm what I need to do to apply for the Superhost Relief Fund. 

Best, 

Rebecca 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Rebecca1268,

Thanks for your follow-up and extra information.

I wonder just to check were you led to believe that you weren't eligible because you hadn't received any word about it or through something else? 

To update you and one else is wondering about the latest Superhost Relief Fund status: email invites for the fund to eligible Superhost are still being sent out and so more people will be notified over the next coming weeks. The team are aiming to get all the invites out to eligible hosts by May 15th and there is nothing on your side at this point that you need to do. Further details can be found in this Resource Center article: Answers to your questions about the Superhost relief fund 

I hope this is helpful and I do hope you receive an invite soon. Wishing you all the best.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie,

I appreciate that information. When asking the Airbnb customer service reps to help determine if we qualify based on our specific situation, they replied to me that if I had not yet received any information, then we may not qualify based on the number of active listings. No one, before you, asked for clarification about the listings to make me understand that we most likely do qualify. The timeline of mid-May was also never provided, or at least I had never read that in any of the Airbnb messages. 

What information will need to be provided in these applications? If by mid-May we do not hear anything, who do we contact? 

Best,

Rebecca 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Rebecca1268,

Thanks for providing a little more insight and I'm really sorry that prior to our conversation you didn't have all the information. For general reference going forward (for you and anyone else reading this post), we have a dedicated COVID updates page with a range of information for hosts and guests (it's a good link to bookmark as regular updates are shared there). This is where the article I shared above lives. 

If you receive an invite to apply for the fund, here is a little more information:

How does the application process work?
Those who receive an invitation will be asked to answer a few questions to help Airbnb understand their financial need and reliance on Airbnb for income. You’ll have seven days to apply once you receive an invitation.

If my application is approved, how long will it take to receive my grant?
If we approve your application, we’ll send your funds within three business days to your usual payout method . Depending on which payout method you use, it could take up to seven business days  for the money to appear in your account. All payments will be initiated by May 31, 2020.

I hope this helps and wishing you all the best. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Lizzie, 

I appreciate the references; however, they are general and don't answer the questions that arise from specific situations such as mine or several others who have joined this conversation. Your personal response is very helpful and it is comforting to get real answers so we know how to move forward. Can you confirm that in my situation, we qualify for the relief fund? I can make that assumption; but I would appreciate you checking it out for us. 

Best, 

Rebecca 

Hi, @Lizzie 

Checking back to see if you can respond to my last message. 

Best,

Rebecca 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Rebecca1268,

Thanks for your follow-up. 

The details on the criteria are found here

Unfortunately, I unable to confirm if you are eligible or not a member of the team reviewing the fund, and I don't have all the information relating to your bookings and Superhost status etc. It wouldn't be fair of me to give you incorrect information.

All invites will be sent out by May 15th, so hopefully you will hear more soon. If there are any further updates on the Superhost Relief Fund, I will of course let you know.

I'm sorry I can't be more help at this moment. Take care and my fingers and toes are crossed for you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Greetings Lizzie

I have been a consistent SuperHost in Florida and my listing is my second MasterSuite in my primary residence and my listing is regularly booked back to back, month to month until Covid struck. The loss of my Airbnb revenue is the loss of my income. Is there a specific number of years that has to be met for a SuperHost to receive an email invite since Brian mentioned invites have already started going out this week 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Yvette113,

Lovely to meet you. There are a number of different criteria to meet for the Superhost Relief Fund.

Specifically around tenure as a Superhost, you have to have been a Superhost for at least a year or more. 

Invites to apply for the fund are currently in the process of being sent out and will continue to do so until May 15th. 

If you haven't already seen this Airbnb Resource Center article here: Answers to your question about the Superhost Relief Fund  I would recommend taking a look as there is lots of useful information. 

I hope this helps and I really hope that bookings start to head your way again. Stay safe and well and I hope to speak with you again soon. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lizzie you said " If you have more than two listings at the same address...you’re still considered eligible."

I have four listings at two addresses. (One is an umbrella listing for two of the other listings.)  Am I eligible?

@Lizzie any comment?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Lisa723, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I'm just double checking this, as I don't want to give you incorrect information and as you can imagine there are quite a few different variables on this. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------