Superhost status is out of reach

Leida1
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Superhost status is out of reach

I unfortunately had to cancel a reservation about six months ago at no fault of the guest.  This error in booking has haunted my host status since then.  If one of the requirements to become a superhost is that you honor reservations 100% of the time doesn't that mean mathmatically I'll NEVER reach that level?  If I honor the next 1000 bookings that math still doesn't add up.

7 Replies 7
Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

I believe there is a one year limitation.  You'll get there.  In the future, if a cancellation needs to happen, just ask the guest to do it.  It doesn't affect them, and they always understand that you want to protect your superhost status.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Leida1 No, that's not correct.  If you cancel a reservation, you lose the ability to gain Super Host status for a year from the cancellation date:  

www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Leida1, yes the restriction is for a year from the cancellation. To be honest I've never worried about having (or more usually not having) Superhost status and when I had it made no difference whatsoever to the number or quality of bookings, although perhaps in other locations it will make more of a difference. I don't have it at the moment as we had to cancel a double booking having stupidly forgotten to block off the date on Airbnb when a booking.com guest booked. Don't worry, you will get it back.

Does Booking.com have a calendar that can be imported or exported with Airbnb's so you don't have to keep up separate calendars? Flip Key, Trip Advisor, Home Away and VRBO do. You can link all of them and others with the Airbnb calendar.

Susan234
Level 3
Asheville, NC

It is not out of reach. I became a super host at the end of my first quarter. I did have to cancel a reservation but that was due to a broken air conditioner and I did pay for the guests first night at a 4 star hotel and gave them a full refund for their inconvience as any lodging property would do. I called Airbnb customer  service directly and explained the situation immediately. That conversation went into my file and I was awarded Superhost anyway. There's more to gaining Superhost status. How fast you respond to the guest is very important. I make sure I'm the last one in any conversation with the guest. It also depends on your ratings. I call customer service anytime I or a guest has a question I don't know the answer to. I do not make them contact Airbnb. If they want to contact Airbnb I give them the number to make it fast and easy. All conversations with Airbnb go into your file. They like to see that you are proactive for yourself and the guest.

Airbnb considers "extenuating circumstances" when detailing with unusual situations. Don't assume every policy is set in stone. I have a guest coming in that may have to cancel for surgery and he inquired a month in advance if he could get a full refund if that was the case. I contacted Airbnb by phone and asked. They said that would be considered extenuating an circumstance just as my broken air conditioner was and yes, he could get a full refund minus the refund service charge which is less that $15. Ask, ask, ask. The worst that can happen is that they'll tell you no.

From our experience, the super host status has very little to do with how often you are booked,or how much money you make.  I really don't think the average guest cares. 

Superhost status has nothing to do with number of bookings or revenue however host cancellations or guest cancellations due to unfavorable accomodations can affect your rating. Superhost status is about how you perform as a host based on guest ratings, communication time and other factors such as resolutions.