Superhost voucher not refunded after cancellation

Brian1082
Level 2
Lennox Head, Australia

Superhost voucher not refunded after cancellation

I had to cancel a booking as a guest today as the Victorian government (in Australia) has closed the borders to NSW where I live due to Covid 19. Because of Covid, I haven't seen my mother in over 1 year. I had an airbnb booking partly using a $100 voucher that I earned as a (very hard working) Superhost. Now I am bluntly told that because I have cancelled the booking, the voucher cannot be refunded or reused even though it is completely out of my control. I find this extremely disappointing. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Not happened to me personally, but yes, that is, unfortunately, the Airbnb policy both for hosts and guests. Once a voucher is applied to a booking, if the booking is cancelled, you lose the voucher. @Brian1082

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Brian1082 I sympathize with you. I booked a stay in the Bahamas back in March of last year for December and ended up having to cancel due to the closures. I lost my $100 voucher as well, even though the cancellation policy allowed me to receive a full refund.

My personal opinion is that getting the voucher back should be contingent upon the cancellation policy. If the cancellation policy is not strict or 50% then the voucher should essentially be the refunded accordingly. If the cancellation policy is strict then I completely understand and support the host being paid what they are due. 

I actually did call airbnb in my case just to inquire about potentially receiving it back based upon my reasoning above, but I was unsuccessful in my attempts. 

Thanks for you comment. I agree! 

@Brian1082 

Could you possibly changed the dates?

To cancel is not always the only solution.

One of my guest decided to come... one year later.

Strangely enough, I didn't even think of that and it's a great idea. I think I assumed I'd get the voucher back as well. Thanks 

Benny15
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

Yes I did. I had to cancel 2 reservations due to flooding (place is on a river)after a hurricane in November 2020. The water was 4 feet deep where they would be staying.  I called airbnb and THEY canceled it for me and told me it would not count. Now I have a 3.3 cancellation rate and they won't remove it. They waived it this time but would not give me the $100 gift for being a SH for a year. The clause does not allow you to cancel a reservation because of a hurricane and not get punished. This to me could make hosts put guests in danger just to keep their SH status. Not good.

Mechele0
Level 2
Ilkley, United Kingdom

This has just happened to me!! I inadvertently searched two properties to attend a wedding next year, in a momentary lapse of concentration I booked the wrong one, I am attending alone amd wanted to book the one nearest to the event.  In the blink of an eye I immediately recognised and cancelled to book the one closest, only to find that Airbnb have claimed that voucher and it cannot be used to my benefit, just the benefit of Airbnb.  They have reclaimed the voucher, and will not give me a credit or good will voucher :(( 

if I had left this for a few weeks before cancellation I might have understood, but I cancelled immediately, but they won’t budge!! I am so upset and disappointed, this voucher is to recognise my efforts and is a benefit of being a superhost!

they use the excuse of its our policy and the systems won’t allow us to override the error… not that old chestnut!! 
This practise is not what anyone could deem to be in the spirit of FAIRBNB… rather unfairbnb 😞

I totally feel for you. I've since been issued with a new voucher (only because I earned it after another period of time). Next time I need to cancel, I will change the dates instead of cancel which will keep the voucher. Sadly that wouldn't work in your case as you needed different accommodation.