Superhost who doesn't feel super over cancellation policy

Tim616
Level 2
Saint Petersburg, FL

Superhost who doesn't feel super over cancellation policy

I have had many conversations with Airbnb representatives and to my deep disappointment there is one consistent response from customer service, "I'm sorry, the system doesn't allow us to make any modifications." I understand the value of systems but when policies, procedures and programs come before people, it troubles me.

I'm a host as well as a traveler. I have a 5 star rating with all 3 listings, 100% response rate, over 250 raving reviews and one cancellation in 5 years. The system says, sorry, it doesn't matter - you have been demoted.  A ZERO CANCELLATION POLICY without a review. 

A people-centered culture takes into account the contribution of its members; the commitment that they've demonstrated and rewards them for it.  Airbnb has demonstrated their commitment to policies but not people which is ironic because their entire business has been built on the generocity and trust of people.  

I continue to use Airbnb because of the beautiful, amazing people that the platform has allow me to meet and connect with but it saddens me to say that I don't feel like I will be anything more than a cog in the corporate machine that Airbnb has become.  

4 Replies 4
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

The policy is clearly communicated, so not sure whether/why you were surprised by the consequences of cancelling... if you find yourself needing to cancel again and you have any kind of extenuating circumstance you might call Airbnb first and try to get them to do it for you penalty-free.

Rebecca0
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Tim616  You don't say what happened to make you feel this way?  I see no cancellations on your profile so it must have been something else.  Personally, I think it's best to view Airbnb only as a platform / agency for your property.  Yes, they do sell the "dream" of world peace and harmony but, end of the day, you are responsible for your business.   I do agree with the principle that investing in people, in a people industry, is a bit of a no-brainer and they do fall short many times.  

So what's your problem, exactly?  You need to be more specific!

Tim616
Level 2
Saint Petersburg, FL

The problem is with a system that disempowers a customer service representative to the point that it takes up to three levels of administratiive authority and hours upon hours of frustrated conversation to resolve something that would cost the company very little and would  turn a frustrated community members into a raving fan. 

- I did speak with a customer rep about the cancellation which, consequently I not make. A previous host for my home did. The response was, "Sorry, that's the policy and there is no possible way of changing that." I don't know the details around the cancellation so I let it go.

- I referred a friend to become a host, helped then get set up, photographed their house and never received the referral incentive. When I called and asked why, they told me that my friends were already on Airbnb (as guests). I told them that I had spoken a representative that assured me that the referral would be honored. It was not honored.

- I received an email with a credit for $50. From the email I booked a place and the credit was never applied. I called and asked about it and they said I would need to cancel and rebook, of course with a fee. It was escalated to a supervisor who saw that it was supposed to be a credit and not a coupon and said she would take care of it. It's been a week. I've been on the phone thee different times with promises of a call back and resolution. It's still unresolved.

A system that isn't designed to quickly adapt to take care of people is terribly flawed.  The best customer service people are trained to listen well, discern the problem and quickly respond to it; assuring the person that they are speaking with that they hear them, understand them and take care of them to the best of their abilities. For the most part, Airbnb has not done that for me.

Sandrina3
Level 2
Region of Murcia, Spain

Para cumplir este criterio, mantenerme como super host .....tendrías que haber cancelado menos del 1 % de las reservas que se realizaron entre el 1 de abr. de 2021 y el 31 de mar. de 2022, independientemente de las fechas de las estancias. No se incluyen las excepciones recogidas en nuestra Política de Causas de Fuerza Mayor.

ESTABA EN HOSPITAL POR UN MES   CON COVID EN AGOSTO Y RECUPERANDO 3 MESES, ESTO ES CAUSAS FUEZRA MAYOR POR ESO Y SOLO POR ESO ANULE MIS RESERVAS  así no estáis cumpliendo lo que esta escrito dar igual los emails que mando no me dan razón 😞 Y DURANTE MI ESTANCIA EN EL HPSITAL ME TOCO AVISAR MIS HUESPEDES QUE NO PUDO ALOJARLES EN MI CASA Y SOLO UNA SEMANA DESPUES AIRBNB CANCELO LAS RESERVAS