Support for Hosts with Bloody Sheets

Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Support for Hosts with Bloody Sheets

This is for hosts who have had guests bleed on (or ejaculate on, or whatever) their linens.  We've had this problem, and handle it in a straightforward way.  More on that below, including sample text (NB: You need to have a security deposit in place, and handle it the day of incident or checkout).   However, since we seem to feel differently about this than other hosts do, we wanted to share our thoughts and possibly encourage new hosts with the same problem.  

Someone else's period (or nosebleed, or shart, or ejaculation) is NOT your problem.  Practically speaking, a guest may refuse to be responsible for her or himself, and may rob you of your time or money (kind've making it your problem).  However, you do not need to feel like you're being unreasonable because you don't want to scrub someone else's fluids out of your linens.  If you're a female host, you can reject your bloody guest's request for solidarity and still be a feminist - she's stealing from you, and telling you to be OK with it because of your gender; that's not gender progress.  If you're a male host, you probably haven't heard this one - and you don't need to excuse this type of damage where you wouldn't excuse skid marks.  Period blood isn't morally dirty and taboo, it's just a bodily fluid that stains, so you don't need to feel awkward asking your guest to reimburse you.  A gendered argument for the host just accepting these costs, where other types of damage are more readily reimbursed, is totally retrogressive. 

So basically, just because a very small minority of guests who cause stains (a small number already) steal your time or money by refusing to be responsible for themselves, doesn't mean you're crazy for not wanting to scrub out their stains.  If you're willing to do it, by all means, but the first time this happened, we called Airbnb Superhost Support to ask for advice, and they seemed **horrified** by the idea that we would do anything but burn blood-stained sheets.  

TLDR:  Don't treat women and men differently - have a security deposit, demonstrate clear boundaries, and ask guests to honor them. 

HOW TO REVIEW THE BLEEDER:  With great civility and honesty.  

If the damage is reimbursed graciously, "We had a small issue with a stain, but Lady Guest was completely gracious about reimbursing us for the cost.  Since we understand that these things happen, and given how politely she handled the whole thing, we'd certainly recommend her to other hosts."  

If the guest refuses, "While Grotesque Bleeding Guest seemed like a cool person, I cannot recommend that other Hosts welcome her into their homes.  She refused to reimburse us for the sheets that she ruined, after agreeing at the time of booking to approve documented charges for damage to our security deposit.  This is a great breach of the trust we have in the Airbnb community, so we hope other Hosts will be able to avoid the same problems that we had with Grotesque Guest."

NOTE:  Airbnb's algorithms seem to give us more InstantBookings when we give fewer guests the dreaded Thumbs Down, so we started reserving the thumbs down for the most truly egregious guests and save most feedback for the comments. 

STEPS FOR MAKING THIS EASIER IN THE FUTURE (again, you need to have a security deposit on your listing before the guest books)

1.  We always include a note in our welcome message that if linens are stained, they'll be charged against the security deposit.  

2.  We send the guest a message telling her/him:

"Hi, thanks again for staying with us!  It looks like there are some stains on the sheets, and for everyone's health and safety, stained sheets need to be disposed of.  Luckily, Airbnb's security deposit system makes it easy to add the replacement cost to your booking after we provide documentation.  We've had this happen a few times, and guests are always gracious in handling it.  If you'll approve the security deposit charges when we submit them, we'll be all set.  Thanks again, and all the best!"

3.  Photograph stains (including tag if possible/relevant - our sheets are Ralph Lauren, so that tag makes a difference)  🙂

4.  Submit a security deposit claim ("Request Damages" or "Resolve an Issue" button I think) including photos, a polite note, and a link to the replacement cost online or a photo of the receipt.

Airbnb does not make it very clear, but guests do not appear to be compelled to approve the charges.  We once had a guest refuse to pay for the sheets, and we ended up making a claim to Airbnb, which paid us 80% of the cost, and then we experienced a serious drop in bookings for that listing (only for the one of 2 identical listings for which we submitted the claim to Airbnb).  We do NOT recommend submitting this type of claim, just in case Airbnb is penalizing hosts who pursue claims for damages that the guests refuse to pay.  

67 Replies 67
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I must agree with @Dee0 and @Diane0. Soiled sheets are just part of doing business. Naming and shaming guests for recompense is down right sad. In our year and a half of hosting we have only had one instance where guests have damaged sheets and that was because of a henna tattoo. The guest offered to pay for replacement sheets which we accepted. As a person that gets nose bleeds from time to time I would e embarrassed enough without this questionable methodology to recover costs. I would of course offer reimbursement anyway which I think most guests would do...for the minority who don't it just forms a part of doing business. Anyway each to their own. Happy hosting.

David and Fiona, thanks for pointing out an opportunity for clarification.  While I think we simply may disagree on the specifics of the soiled linens issue, I wanted to point out something that may have been lost in my original post.  Our reviews are always polite and extremely civil, and NEVER say anything specific about the nature of the damage or derogatory about the guest - while honest, spelling things out too clearly often seems in poor taste.  Saying something along the lines of, "the guest seemed nice, but was unwilling to reimburse us for the cost of damage to the furniture" seems the most polite way to go, while still signalling to other hosts that there was a problem.  Most guests who leave stains are gracious about replacing the linens, and we generally leave those guests great reviews - after all, accidents happen, and a guest who takes responsibility for their actions deserves glowing praise, in my book. 

We're discussing those rare guests who perhaps are not aware that when they booked with us, they were agreeing to the use of their securit deposit to cover damages.  Whether the guest has read Airbnb's guidelines or not, the security deposit system is in place to cover small but unusual damage so that hosts don't raise their prices overall to protect against those costs that result from one guest, as opposed to normal wear and tear.  For a guest to decline charges when they are reasonably documented according to Airbnb's procedures is, in our view, a breach of the trust we place in each other in the Airbnb community.  We feel it's our duty to the community to review guests honestly so other hosts can make informed decisions about who to have in their homes.

Again, we may differ in our thinking on the linens, but thanks for giving us the opportunity to clarify that we are never aiming to cause awkwardness or embarrassment - but we will find a polite way to inform other hosts that we felt a breach of trust occurred with the guest.  That allows everyone to host the guests who seem like the best match! 

Id like to thank you for your post. Im on the fence about what to do and I find the information helpful. 

I have a budget sailboat people kayak to. At first I would write little things off but it started to really add up to more than the "cost of business". Guest dropping headlamps in the water rendering them useless. Losing paddles, snorkel masks, life jackets and now sheets covered in blood because people want to get in on during that time of month. Do women really have "accidents" that often? 

I have made a product that really helps guests protect your sheets. I offer it to my guests - you can offer it to yours. You can even lift the verbiage, if you like. 

As an air bnb guest, I found myself occasionally needing something to protect the sheets of the lovely places I was renting. As an air bnb host, I found myself wanting to provide something my guests could use that would protect my sheets. In an answer to all that, I created The Layer. It is a magical piece of fabric that is soft and comfortable and shields the sheets from all sorts of sexy messes. So, should you find yourself in need, you will find The Layer - sealed in an eco-friendly plastic wrap - available for you to use and take with you to use over and over and over again (it withstands 300+ washings). And if you do, we will then charge your account $55. It’s far less expensive than replacing a set of sheets, mattress cover, towels - and saves everyone inconvenience and embarrassment. You can find The Layer in the master bedroom in the wicker basket.

A discrete little velcro clutch is available for purchase, for carrying The Layer to and fro. Please visit https://getthelayer.com for more information. 

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

Perhaps you should consider the fact that the majority of the forum takes offense to your posting. As you stated yourself, most people feel the opposite of you on this subject. Their thoughts may be something to think about, instead of you just trying to be right.

As I suggested before, why dont you just ask people ahead of time "do you have your period this week? if so, id like to use cheaper sheets so that I dont have to charge your deposit for stains". As offensive as it is, im sure they would much rather do this than receive an embarassing negative review insinuating they are careless guests.

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Wow... WOW!

I am utterly in chock! I started to read since I thought this thread contained something to learn. It sure did! Not just the things I thought it was...

You keep emphasize the big, nice words like civil, polite, responsibility, grace, quality and encouragement. But all I see is straight forward condesending ****. And in the end you even end up calling yourself a victim. Hoy!

If you chose to host in a upscale niche using Ralph Lauren etc, then do as the other business' in the same niche. I would never think that Hilton would charge ANY person for having sex or a nosebleed and make stains on their linen. They just charge EVERY guest a higher price. If you don't have the money to keep buying upscale linen, then downscale. If you don't have the time to maintain your linen, or the knowhow, then downscale.

You are not a host in a community. You use the community to do business. It is OK of course! Just don't pretend to be something you're not.

I am very pleased to see that you are challenged on your opinion by other experienced hosts.

As to what I learned? How NOT to host.

Mariann

I have never understood the term sharing economy.

It is certainly a different business model and it seems to work, probably not into repeat business.

David
Autumn3
Level 2
Santa Clara, CA

I think if you are going to have guests of any type, whether they be paying or non-paying, and if you are offering use of your linens, then learning proper linen care is essential.  

I pride myself in being able to get almost any substance out of a sheet or towel, and bodily fluids are some of the easiest to remove.  The most difficult in my opinion are waterproof eyeliner and tumeric (guest was eating tikka masala in bed).  

Here are my tips:

1.  The better the linens, the easier to get the stain out.  100% cotton seems to be easier than polyester-based or blend fabrics.

2.  EVERYTHING should be WHITE.  White sheets, white towels, white curtains, white wash cloths.  This allows you to use Oxyclean and bleach.  There is very little that these two powerhouse chemicals cannot remove.

3.  Have extra dark colored towels and washcloths on hand, and disposable make up removal towelettes or wipes, so that a guest has the option to prevent the stain from happening.  Dark colored towels become faded quickly, so I do not offer them as a regular option.

4.  Have a spare set of sheets and towels so that you can leave one to soak if that is needed.

5.  Washable matress pads and duvet covers make life much easier.

6.  Have a table and chair in the room to discourage guests from eating in bed.

7.  Spills and stains of any kind are a fact of life, and it doesn't make sense to break that down into female vs. male, or substance category.  If you have to spend a whole bunch of extra time cleaning up a stain or spill, or if you have to send linens out for professional cleaning, then it's OK to pass that cost onto the client in the form of an extra "cleaning fee" that you use for leaving a "mess" which I think is the polite way to say it.  

8.  Although I have never had someone use the bedroom as a restroom/bathroom, I would think that this activity would not fall under "normal wear and tear", and you could simply request a reimbursement for professional cleaning, or handle it via the review process by giving a low number of stars.

There is no need to be vulgar on this forum, or to phrase things in an unprofessional juvenile way.

Oxyclean! We've had it all. Skid marks, hair dye, boogers, clear bodily fluids, food stains. I just spray or douse the fabric with Oxyclean (the stick, the foam, the spray) and wash with detergent and Oxyclean and it removes the stains. What I do get concerned about is my exposure to pathogens/diseases. I wear gloves. I do think about colds, flu, HIV, hepatitis. The fear of contagion is real. We have to protect ourselves. But this is what we signed up for. Cleaning is intimate.

Gareth21
Level 1
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Hi I just wanted to thank Kate and Alex for the advice on how to handle this matter. Im brand new to airbnb and some of the other hints like providing facewipes etc were good too!

I pretty much used your template word for word - the only difference is I did try to wash the sheets first on a cold wash with an oxy stain remover applied. For some reason the stain was able to be removed from my white mattress protector, but not from my fitted sheet or top sheet (both dark grey).

I think it is a little harsh to take the "health and safety" line without trying stain-remover and a wash first... But if it doesnt come out after doing this im of the opinion that the guest's damage needs to be paid for as im not prepared to waste my time trying numerous different techniques. 

Basically i just explained there were some stains and explained what I had done to try and remove them (also a towel was missing so I mentioned that too). Then I just said "accidents happen" but im sure you understand I must dispose of stained sheets and airbnb's deposit system makes the replacement cost easy to manage. Thanked them graciously and there we go.. watch this space i'll let you know the score.

Bronwyn18
Level 3
Mariposa, CA

It is reasonable to expect to be paid for non removable blood stains. As a guest I would immediately wash with cold water and use hydrogen peroxide to remove. After several days it gets much harder to remove. Of course the host should use the basic measures here to attempt to remove unless extensive. My guests paid and got a great review. But the fact they hid the damage by flipping pillows and even moved one pillow to an unused bedroom ( upside down) was disturbing especially considering they host their own place. 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Sarah-and-Alex0  - I really can't believe what I'm reading here. As hosts, we all know that people have bodily fluids - they sometimes bleed, sometimes vomit, sometimes pee the bed, sometimes have runny noses and sometimes have sex. So you're saying we should treat our sheets like biohazards and throw them out? That's just ridiculous. You *do* know that even hospitals don't do that, right? No blood borne virus/bacteria can survive a hot water wash - so wear gloves, check for stains, treat the stains with an enzyme stain remover for organic stains (Biokleen Bac-Out is a great one) then wash them with a high quality detergent in the sani-cycle (or hot water cycle).  You WILL get the stain out. There will not be any remaining HIV, herpes or Hep A,B or C viruses (or whatever else you fear) on your sheets. And in the very, very rare case you don't get the stains out, toss it & chalk it up to the cost of doing business, like any normal person would. 

I'm sorry, but as an Airbnb host, someone else's "period (or nosebleed, or shart, or ejaculation)" IS your problem.  I can't imagine being so adverse to blood/bodily fluids that I would just throw out my beautiful Italian milled, Eygptian cotton sheets! Going to the Resolution Centre for payment? - honestly, I think that should be seen as regular wear & tear and find it really hard to believe that you have ever been reimbursed. I would think the only reason you have been might be due to coercion -  inflicting shame & guilt upon the guest, in order to get them to pay for the crime of being a human being, with bodily fluids.

I think your review suggestions show a complete lack of even the most basic understanding of the human condition. And if I read your reviews, I'd give your place a wide berth. Not because I'm likely to deposit any of my bodily fluids at your place, but because you just seem odd.

Brenna4
Level 1
Grand Rapids, MI

What if the host is charging you 1200 for a period stain? And tries to scam you by buying an even more expensive duvet and having you pay for that as well. Mind you this is all after the security deposit was taken and two cleaning fees.

Jacinta6
Level 2
Daylesford, Australia

I discovered blood stains on the base sheet, doona cover and onto the doona from a recent guest.  I immediately soaked the sheet in salty cold water and the blood dissolved away from the sheet in 10 minutes.   I squirted a bit of stain remover and then washed as normal. Came out good as new - Easy as that.   

Nicole288
Level 2
Providence, RI

I have to say, I am really impressed with how you are handling every single comment. I found your  perspective interesting and helpful. I choose my battles. It is hard when you find the business expenses adding up or this sort of thing happening on repeat with a few guests right after each other. I think it’s important to remind guests that we are not a hotel. Most of us are inviting them into our spaces that we love. No one wants to be embarrassed, but there are boundaries and standards and we all host very different experiences. Being transparent about how each of our experiences are special, clear on house rules and expectations, I think is super key. Leaving a note in the house rules that stained linens are subject to a charge, just reminds people to be a bit more considerate. Great feedback, all of you - thanks!