Suprise temple in the villa, host made us choose between privacy and denying the locals their worship

Answered!
Royal0
Level 2
United States

Suprise temple in the villa, host made us choose between privacy and denying the locals their worship

I booked a villa in Bali (for a month) with my fiance so that we could have privacy and relaxation.  Before arriving I had also arranged to cancel all housekeeping and breakfasts (for added privacy) which the host agreed to.

Upon arrival we discovered that the local temple was in between the pool and bedroom, the locals literally have to enter the living room to get to the site where they leave offerings on a daily basis. This was obviously not OK since we valued our privacy, so I contacted the host to request a refund so that I could make other arrangements. The host denied the request and instead told the locals (some of whom are the villa staff) that they could no longer pray at the site (where they have been going daily their entire lives) during our stay.

We came to Bali for privacy and peace, but also to discover the local cultures and traditions [albeit not in the living room of the villa I would be staying a month at.] The host's solution was so abhorrent that we decided to relocaateto another site at a total loss of about $3k rather than turn away the temple worshippers. I called Airbnb support in an attempt to rectify the situation and was told that since the host offered to remove the worhshipers that we cannot have a refund.

As an Airbnb host for about 10 years (7 as a superhost) I am shocked that the host would list a property without mentioning this and that Airbnb would put us in the situation of having to choose whether to disrupt local customs or deal with having to share the living room with the locals.

Royal

1 Best Answer

@Royal0  When a host can't provide a listed amenity, that is also grounds for being able to cancel and get a refund.

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

It's odd that if the locals leaving offerings was extremely intrusive that not one set of guests in 70 reviews ever mentioned it, that leads me to think it possibly is not as intrusive as you perceived it.  It's very odd though to have something like that not have been disclosed and I'm surprised you couldn't get any kind of refund. 

@Mark116 I have no idea about the intentions or motives of previous guest reviews. How intrusive would you find prayer at the pool and bathroom every morning? 

I too am surprised that I couldn't. 

@Royal0  It depends, how many people, how many times a day, is it a routine, e.g. at X time every day, I can just be in a different part of the house for a half hour.  I find it difficult to believe that if people were really walking through the living room itself that not one of 70 sets of guests even mentioned this.

However, since the host did offer a solution that you refused, it is going to be hard to get any money back, but you never know with airbnb, if you keep trying and pushing the angle that this activity was not disclosed in advance, and that the solution you felt was not appropriate, e.g. displacing residents religious practices for your own convenience you might get some level of refund.

@Mark116 About 5-10 people, once a day, mornings (although they offered to change the time). Maybe they did their thing while they served breakfast in the past, I can't speculate on that.

The difference now is that there is pandemic going (Bali rates at critical levels, hospitals 100% full and and an oxygen shortage, everything on the island is practically shut down) and my attempt to isolate was thwarted unexpectedly. I was clear to the host that that was my intention beforehand and was assuread that it would be the case (until I arrived).

At this point I'm pursuing the fact that the internet also has been down since I arrived and I'm burning through MIFI sim cards at a cost to myself in order to work.

I have to say I'm having a hard time with this. I read through the reviews and not a single person complained or even commented about the ritual.

I think the disconnect is that you wanted privacy and cancelled the breakfast and housekeeping but wondering if the need for complete privacy was correctly communicated. Certainly the staff is used to being there to create meals and do housekeeping so likely the guests were used to it. Also privacy in one culture is not the same as another.

I get it - expectations. I'm more shocked that you came as an American and expected the culture to conform to your needs. It's not like they came to party. Didn't you read up on the culture before going there to work for a month? I have many friends from that area who have temples in their homes or on their properties.

In this case the host offered to stop the ritual and give you the privacy you requested and you declined the offer.  Unfortunately - that's now on you. The host was no longer obligated to refund your fee.  I agree with the others that this would have been a fascinating peek into another culture.

You keep repeating in your responses that you and your fiance wanted complete privacy. I'm not sure what the subtext is that makes it so important to you but obviously it was so - -  maybe next time - better suited to a hotel with a cardboard do not disturb sign and faux culturally immersive decor?

And by the way saying you hope @Sarah977  isn't a host because she countered with an opinion many of us share is a bit crass. A lot of us have been interacting and sharing host tips and concerns for years. We've also all been pushing Airbnb to improve its policies. So  if you want respect, show some towards fellow hosts (including those who don't share your views or your culture.)

There's a lot of experience here and I did note that in the reviews hosts left of you as a guest- you insulted one (2017) over the payment for damage to their sheets. You told him he needed to learn hosting tools. Perhaps you should learn to be a better guest. Just my opinion.

@Christine615 @Royal0 @Mark116 @Sarah977 @Jessica-and-Henry0 

Ii think the reason why 70 previous guests were not bothered with this ceremony is because the staff were already there preparing the breakfast, cleaning etc ... so their small morning ritual went completely unnoticed. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Others likely booked for a few days, since the rate before was $200+ USD/night, and if 6 people booked there would be no privacy between them in the first place.  The island is under lockdown and the rate was lowered so I booked for an entire month for just the two of us. 

@Royal0  so what have you decided? Will you stay the whole month=? I mean, the host agreed to not allow the ceremony, you will have your privacy, and everything seems to be OK after all. 

I don't think you should have a guilt trip over it and I think the host knows it is not really appropriate and desirable otherwise it wouldn't be added afterwards in small letters at the very end of the lengthy descirption.

Just relax and enjoy

@Branka-and-Silvia0 The internet has also been down since I arrived and I'm having to use a MIFI device that lasts only a couple days before needing to be topped up (at my cost), which surely isn't feasible for a months [working] stay. I'm pursuing that but if it fails I intend to book at another villa elsewhere.

@Royal0  yes, WIFI is mentioned in the listing description.

We don’t have fiber internet, so it happens sometimes that it goes down. My Team calls technicians if the provider delivers too weak signal. It is always repaired successfully. Please note that you are in the rice field valley and surrounded by a beautiful forest. The internet is good but doesn’t have speed of fiber.
"

I've never been to Bali but I would expect weak WIFI there, on such secluded property. I mean, I live downtown Croatian capital and my street doesn't have an optic internet! Digital nomads like working in exotic places but the necessity of stable high-speed internet, unfortunately, limits your choice. Who knows if you would get better internet at any Airbnb in Bali.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 The complaint isn't about weak internet, it's about non-existent internet since I arrived due to some utility pole falling down. On arrival I was told it would be fixed that day or the next. Today I was told that there is no ETA.

@Royal0  When a host can't provide a listed amenity, that is also grounds for being able to cancel and get a refund.

@Mark116 Agreed. Thank you Mark for responding based on facts instead of accusations and assertions. Respect. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

I would have to agree that was probably the case - staff was on site. I am suspecting, from the conversations and retorts on this thread as well as the insult leveled at a host on this board and one who reviewed him earlier - that there is more to the story and may lie in his abrasive communication style since CS normally refunds unused nights or a portion of them. In this case, they sided with the host.

I'm having a hard time imagining this much drama when the solution was given that he asked for (no staff or temple offering for the duration of the stay).

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]