Suprise temple in the villa, host made us choose between privacy and denying the locals their worship

Answered!
Royal0
Level 2
United States

Suprise temple in the villa, host made us choose between privacy and denying the locals their worship

I booked a villa in Bali (for a month) with my fiance so that we could have privacy and relaxation.  Before arriving I had also arranged to cancel all housekeeping and breakfasts (for added privacy) which the host agreed to.

Upon arrival we discovered that the local temple was in between the pool and bedroom, the locals literally have to enter the living room to get to the site where they leave offerings on a daily basis. This was obviously not OK since we valued our privacy, so I contacted the host to request a refund so that I could make other arrangements. The host denied the request and instead told the locals (some of whom are the villa staff) that they could no longer pray at the site (where they have been going daily their entire lives) during our stay.

We came to Bali for privacy and peace, but also to discover the local cultures and traditions [albeit not in the living room of the villa I would be staying a month at.] The host's solution was so abhorrent that we decided to relocaateto another site at a total loss of about $3k rather than turn away the temple worshippers. I called Airbnb support in an attempt to rectify the situation and was told that since the host offered to remove the worhshipers that we cannot have a refund.

As an Airbnb host for about 10 years (7 as a superhost) I am shocked that the host would list a property without mentioning this and that Airbnb would put us in the situation of having to choose whether to disrupt local customs or deal with having to share the living room with the locals.

Royal

1 Best Answer

@Royal0  When a host can't provide a listed amenity, that is also grounds for being able to cancel and get a refund.

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36

@Christine615 How about the subtext of a global virus killing millions of people around the world which literally just shut down the 3rd most populous country on the planet?  Would that be sufficient to your liking? 

I find you to be crass for expousing your opinion that I am trying to make the culture "conform to my needs" simply because I don't want a religious service next to my toilet and livingroom everyday, something not mentioned in the listing when I booked. Also it's very ironic that you tell me to respect the culture but then tell me I had the option to cancel the ceremony. 

I could go through your review history from five years ago too and come up with baseless allegations as though I'm some sort of lofty Airbnb internet authority but I won't because I have a life. Perhaps you should learn to say less.

@Royal0 

Good grief. Honestly.

You asked for an opinion and you got one. Actually several of them. They just didn't agree with your assertion. So stop whining about your experience and your needs and be grateful. Since I'm married to a healthcare worker who has to put on PPE to work I've had to isolate for more than a year to protect him (and still mostly isolating). I have lost friends before there was a vaccine and in most cases there couldn't be a funeral because of social isolation.  I'm the last person for you to accuse of not "getting it."

You could have on the first day explained the lodging wasn't a fit and Airbnb would have given you your money back. They do that all the time. ALL OF THE TIME. Sometimes to our consternation

You complained and the host said they would fix it and you would have total isolation. But you didn't want that either. So you come here for advice and then fight back. Worse - you insult one of the most experienced hosts on the platform who gave you good advice and you slammed her the same way you slammed someone who hosted you and wrote you a negative review.

As for reading the reviews - all the posters on this thread of noted that they read them. You're just unhappy that I didn't skip the negative ones. I only brought it up after you insulted one of the senior members of this forum.

We're all volunteers and fellow hosts. About time you showed more collegial spirit.

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Christine615 Ok I'll tell the locals to pray elsewhere because some lady on the internet in Missouri said so. /s

And for the record here (for others reading) I complained to the host and Airbnb about the situation 10 minutes after arriving.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Why book a place that makes it clear that the internet is unreliable if you require reliable internet?

Why intentionally go to a country where Covid is running rampant if you wish to avoid coming in contact with Covid? Am I missing something? 

Signed, 

Curious and emotional grandma   Karen

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone, 

Thank you all for your participation. 

After reading this thread, I know several discussions are going on here and that there are a lot of different opinions. However, I have noticed that some comments on this discussion have become rather personal.

As a result of this and with the best interests of our community, I have decided to close this topic. 

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen