Suspect guest had a pet

Ann267
Level 2
Chesapeake, VA

Suspect guest had a pet

We do not live near our rental and guests check themselves in and out. We have a no pet policy. Guests checked out this morning and when our cleaner let us know she was done cleaning, she said the house was taken care of but there appeared to be dog hair on the bed. Since we weren't there to prove or disprove the presence of a dog during their stay, how do we address this with the guest?

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions.

3 Replies 3

@Ann267  Without evidence, I see nothing to gain from addressing this with the guest at all.

If they didn't break your rule, they'll be offended by the accusation.

If they did break your rule, it's too late to enforce it because the stay is over.

Now that whatever was done can't be undone, what's your desired outcome?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ann267 

Just something to think about: As someone who doesn't have pets, I am always shocked to see just how much pet hair some pet owners can carry with them without animals present. It's on their clothes, their luggage ... everywhere. I know for a fact there were no dogs with them but why do they leave so much hair behind!?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ann267 you can say that guests required more cleaning than most, but you absolutely cannot say that they had a pet with them. As @Emilia42 mentions, other possibilities exist. Perhaps they are dreadfully hairy people.

**Consider exterior cameras to allow you to know (instead of suspect) what is going in/out of the home.

This is akin to the "you may not ask a woman if she is pregnant unless you witness child leaving her body, and even then probably not a good idea to ask". Say what you know. Control your property.