Suspended listing

Jessica1382
Level 3
Watertown, NY

Suspended listing

Where do I actually find this form?

If you want to proceed with an appeal, you’re required to provide:

The names of the listings you’re appealing for
The reservation codes related to the reviews you’re contesting (these can be found on your Reservation tab)
Which of the above review policy violations apply and why
You can appeal by completing the suspension appeal form. If you are under a suspension that is less than 30 days, you won't be able to access this form.

I had a certifiable crazy person stay with me and claim that I had hidden cameras in my smoke detector and picture frames and his 1 star review has suspended my account for THREE MONTHS after 7 years of a 4.94 star rating and 100s of happy guests.  I am at the end of my rope.  NO communication from Airbnb before the suspension and none after. I've had a help ticket open for two days and no one has responded to me.  What is this world coming to?!

19 Replies 19
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jessica1382 If you click on the words 

suspension appeal form

does it not take you there?

I would suggest contacting them on social media. I read your story in another thread: that guest comes across as unhinged. I hope you're able to appeal. 

Sorry, I should have clarified that. I keep trying to click the link (on desktop, phone, every possible way) and the link just goes to my normal listing page.  I click on my listing and it looks normal, Superhost, listing active.  I click all around the review itself and there is no mechanism to click on it or mark it in any way other than the reply.  It's so frustrating!  Maybe I'll try social media, but I've been off Twitter since the election and it's been wonderful 🙂

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jessica1382 That review is crazy ... from a fellow host no less. So frustrating that Airbnb leaves good hosts, superhosts!, in limbo like this. I am dying to see a picture of the frame he thought had a hidden camera . .  🙂

@Emilia42 it's your classic $22 Michael's frame I have a Ansel Adams print in.  The one in the bathroom is silver, not even dark.  The two frames on the art in the guest room are black, but they are seriously like those chintzy pull apart poster frames that come for free with a print in a college dorm lobby.  This whole thing would be hilarious if it wasn't so scary and upsetting.

Was nationality and race was the guest?

@Mike-and-Leyla0 What possible relevance would the race and nationality of the guest be?

I do despair sometimes with what is going on the the world that you would even ask that question.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Nick @Stephanie @Quincy 

Would you please look into this? Obviously, this host and guest were not a good fit for each other but why is this host so seriously punished when the guest's claim is so deranged (see his review.)  Please give @Jessica1382 at least a chance to prove her innocence.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi  @Jessica1382 

I'm very sorry to see you are experiencing this. I will send over the details you provided to the appropriate department and will come back to you via DM when they update me on this. Thank you for your patience 

Also, thanks for the tag on this @Emilia42 

Hi @Nick thank you for the first response I've gotten from Airbnb in any capacity!  I certainly hope that you or any department in the company can read the exchanges, the reviews, the information I sent him before booking, etc. etc. to clarify this mishap.  It is so difficult being in the dark and not knowing how to fix this!  I am overwhelmed with anxiety.  This nut knows my address, my phone number, how to access my home AND he was able to falsely report cameras in my home so that my listing that I use to pay my mortgage in my one and only house is suspended for THREE months.  I'm sorry.  I have used yelly capitalization in the messages about this matter more than I have in my whole life.  I just wish Airbnb treated their hosts with as much grace as their guests.

Also, I'm a super recycler, composter and more so I appreciate your reminder that we can all be better about that! 

Jessica this literally just happened to me and Air BnB has been so biased and useless I truly don’t know I even want to keep my listings with them. I had a guest stay that simply said she was not comfortable because the property was “shared”. The property is a 70 acre farm and the listing clearly indicates that we live on the property. Nothing is shared about the house that is used for Air BnB we live in a totally separate house all the way across the property. I was never notified there was a problem. I just noticed that all of my dates were crossed out. When I contacted them they asked me to provide details… how am I supposed to provide details when I don’t even know what is going on?  After calling them everyday for a week I was able to ask a human what the complaint was. Their response was “we protect our customers and will not be able to provide you with any details, however if you would like to add anything please feel free”. How am I supposed to explain or deny allegations when I don’t even know what the allegations are?  This is like boxing Mike Tyson blind folded. I spoke with someone again yesterday and they said I had to fill out an appeal but I don’t even know what I am appealing. Not to mention that apparently the “appeal” form is not even available to me for at least 30 days. This is the most absurd thing I have ever participated in. I 100% feel your pain and I am sorry you are having to deal with this. 

Respectfully,

Jason 

Jessica1382
Level 3
Watertown, NY

Hi all!  Thanks again for the moral support.  I always wish there was a how did it turn out post at the end of these, so I'll fill you in on my progress.  I feel like a small weight has lifted because someone finally reached out to me so I can at least defend myself!  About 48 hours after I first contacted the Help center I received this message: 

While I don't have any cameras in my home, as previously noted, I took photos and videos of all the areas he mentioned in the review, and then some. Even tested the smoke alarm on camera.  This morning I realized I hadn't actually taken the photos off the wall to show them the back so I did and sent those photos.  Then I realized he had pulled apart the frame in my bathroom!  All the brackets holding the mat were broken and the two that are still holding the print in are shoved in and jammed so I can't move them.  Can you just picture this paranoid guy frantically trying to break open a frame in my bathroom after I went to work the next morning?  I try not to picture it because it really makes me sick to my stomach about the randoms I have let stay in my home over the years.  What if he planted something to take a photo as proof?  OMG.  OK, this isn't helpful.  I'll keep you posted if I'm still allowed to be a host after all this rigmarole!

**[Conversation with CS removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

Thanks for the update @Jessica1382 ! I hope everything works out for you.  Sounds like a nightmare guest for sure. 

Oooops!  I assumed the canned message from Airbnb would be fair game, but I guess not.  Sorry!  It mostly said I had 24 hours to prove that I did NOT have any cameras or listening devices in my home, which of course I do not.  Until then my account was suspended, referenced the policy, etc. etc.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jessica1382 Yet again we have a situation where

a) You are deemed guilty until proven innocent by Airbnb and

b) You are being asked to prove a negative (which is something really difficult to do)

I do hope that your excellent efforts at sending pictures etc to Airbnb get you out of this mess.

@Catherine-Powell 

I fully understand if a host/guest is accused of violence then an immediate suspension might be appropriate but surely not in a case like this. Also, if an account is suspended there should be an expectation that Airbnb. will immediately inform the host/guest why and get their side of the story.