Suspicion of more guests than the reservation

Answered!

Suspicion of more guests than the reservation

I just bought a house to use for Airbnb and I have a booking in Jan. over the MLK holiday. Not only did he talk me out of my two night minimum stay, but he talked me down in price. I'm getting full price for 1 night, but probably loosing overall for that weekend. I did this only because this is a new listing and I'm trying to fill my calendar. The problem is, he said it's for his church group and first he said 6-8 people then, within 2 minutes, it jumped to 11, then 12. I'm worried he will be bringing more than 11 and I'm not only mad at myself for giving them such a deal, but I'm afraid they're going to deceive me by bringing more than 11. I'm new to this business, only since June, and I have a lot to learn. I sent him a message to tell him, "just so you know, the limit for the cottage is 11". he did not respond, so I'm thinking he's going to bring more. How should I handle this? Charge more for being deceitful when I get there and see there's more than 11? Let it go? report him if that occurs, should I cancel his reservation? I have not cancelled 1 yet and I'm a super host. Contact him and tell him I'm not comfortable with our arrangement? Any advise? I feel I should stick to what I agreed to but I don't want to be deceived and used.

1 Best Answer
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Dave And Annie

I see Dave you're wearing a cowboy hat (I'm European) I think he's riding you, this happens a lot to new Hosts in fact I've posted before about this topic, there seems to be a coterie of people who seek out newbies to exploit, it's your turn this week.

Was it the fact that it was an alleged a church group that got you hooked?

Hope fully it won't be the church of Timothy Leary.

In fact I'd sent him a revised reservation for the additional Guest to let him know you not a pushover.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Dave-And-Annie0 Get a Ring Doorbell (or similar) to watch who comes & goes. Let the guest know you are firm with your maximum and you have suvellience to monitor for additional guests. 

Great idea! I contacted the help center as well and they said we can charge the normal fee for additional guests. I went in and changed it to 100.00 per person. That should discourage them. As for the other people looking to book, I raised my price a few bucks and and it's for 11, which is my cap

Is this allowed? My properties are in Jakarta, Indonesia. 80% of my reservations has more people than they declared although each time i mentioned it they would quickly say those people aren't staying the night. 

Shié0
Level 1
North Jakarta, Indonesia

Allowed as in installing a door surveillance 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This won't work as only the terms and conditions they book under apply.

That crossed my mind, any suggtestions?

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Dave And Annie

I see Dave you're wearing a cowboy hat (I'm European) I think he's riding you, this happens a lot to new Hosts in fact I've posted before about this topic, there seems to be a coterie of people who seek out newbies to exploit, it's your turn this week.

Was it the fact that it was an alleged a church group that got you hooked?

Hope fully it won't be the church of Timothy Leary.

In fact I'd sent him a revised reservation for the additional Guest to let him know you not a pushover.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III 

Now that is some great advise! I really do think it is a church group, it's my fault for being a push over. I'm not too upset about the deal itself, I just don't want him taking advantage of my kindness. I will send a revised reservation for any additional guests. Thanks so much Cormac