Suspicious Text message

Suspicious Text message

Got a suspicious text today from [Airbnb] stating that my "...reservation is confirmed. Get all the details in your trip tab..." The only problem is that I haven't booked a trip with Airbnb to the place they indicated or anywhere for that matter.

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Angela2593 if you use Airbnb then you need to log in to your account to check it has not been hacked. Obviously don't follow any links in the text message!

@Mike-And-Jane0  Thank you for your response.  I'm not certain how I would check to see if my account has been hacked?  Immediately upon receiving what I considered a bogus text, I logged into my account and looked to see if there were any trips scheduled, and there were not.  Obviously, I did not follow the link in the text either.  What else should I do to check the integrity of my account?

I think it might be best to change my password at this time, but I can't seem to find how I do that.  I personally find navigating this site very difficult.

More than anything, the goal of posting this was to make others aware of a potential scam.  So, like you said, if anyone gets a text like this my advice is to ignore it but log into your Airbnb account and make sure no trips have been booked on your behalf.  

Is there anything else they/I should do to find out if they've been hacked?

@Angela2593 

If you sign in to your airbnb account,  select option 'account' then 'login and security'.

You can choose to update your password there, and also check 'device history' which provides an audit trail of logins, look for unknown sign in.

The text that you received may well just be a random fishing example, especially if there is a lack of substance in it.

These bulk text rely on a percentage game. 

@Elena87  Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction to change my password.  The problem I was having was that I tried to find my account information from this page - Community Center.  I closed the page and then re-entered through airbnb.com. (Still think this is an awkward and cumbersome way to find informaiton.)  I was able to see the account information, including login and security there.  

I do have a question regarding your suggestion that I check "device history."  Would this log only show login attempts that were made from my device?  Is there a way to see attempted logins from other devices? I'm certain that no one  in my home attempted to login as me and book a trip.  In fact, when I did check the device history, it only shows my activity.  Is this because it is only looking at activity generated from my device/computer?

@Angela2593  It shows activity from all devices and log-ins.