Suspicious Texts

Marnie47
Level 1
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY

Suspicious Texts

I recently received texts yesterday morning and in middle of night seemingly from AirBnB, but I haven’t newly logged in to my AirBnB account recently. Has anyone else received these texts? What do I need to do about them?

<#>Your Airbnb verification code is: 6264. Don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for the code.
qkpTe1dyOzl

<#>Your Airbnb verification code is: 1577. Don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for the code.
qkpTe1dyOzl

15 Replies 15
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marnie47  If you haven’t already, it would be worth updating and changing the password on your Airbnb account in case it’s been compromised.

Paul.

Rory85
Level 2
Lavallette, NJ

@Marnie47 @I see you are a super host but when I continue to click through the reservation, it says this property is hosted by “Christopher” and he has one review. Something looks off and I would report it and change password. 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rory85  Christopher is the primary co-host on Marnies listing! 🙂

@Paul1255 Oh....gotcha! 👍🏻

Alba160
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

@Marnie47  it's happening to some of us. Exactly how you described. Also, emails from a non Airbnb email account getting host/co-host switched about "your  account has currently been  place under review", and they instructed how to report it. These are advanced hacks. I totally feel Airbnb security system has been breached. Yesterday while i was asking another BNB fellow host about this, he started getting those texts. Crazy. Airbnb won't  ever publicy acknowledge that they been hacked. Their IPO is more important than the safety of our accounts. 

Jenny838
Level 5
Arizona, United States

I have received a text as well. Very strange... 

Joel926
Level 2
Manassas, VA

I like your recommendation @Paul1255 . I'll update my password now. This message came to me as a text for the first time last week. Its never happened before. I recently started as a host (a month ago) after many years as a frequent airbnb traveler. Wonder if my use of Airbnb now as a host has some connection to the strange message.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Seems to be a widely-reported system issue, but absolutely sensible to have a password change just to be on the safe side @Joel926 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Marnie47  I see three possibilities

1) Its a typical Airbnb GLITCH

2) Its a scam by a hacker 

3) Its Airbnb reminding you they exist and hope you'll just book a place to stay while you are checking your account security.

Alba160
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

@Marnie47 , @Paul1255, yes, we been hacked. I can't send the screenshot of my twitter to BNB. They confirmed it. Oh, "we are here to support you".

Please fellow hosts, spread the word before more damage is done to us (and guests). 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

5A3B0A28-3821-41CA-AAB0-2B4D6C593A3A.jpeg

 Given you a hand @Alba160 

Marykay0
Level 2
Decatur, GA

I got a couple of those type of text messages last week, changed my password, and didn't get them for several days. Tonight I got one Japanese characters. Very concerning! I'll try and reach out to Airbnb via Twitter.

Marykay, Decatur Alpaca Cottage
Marion766
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

@Marnie47 in Hastings-On-Hudson, NY

I'm getting those "verification code" texts too. Haven't opened any of them. Wanted to know if they really were from Airbnb.  Judging from everyone's comments, they're not.  I'm getting too many of them. Is there anyway to make them stop?

William532
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I'm getting these unsolicited verification code texts too.  It started earlier this month.  I'll change my password too, but I'm wondering what the issue is.  Seems odd...