Sustainability of food waste

Minako10
Level 10
Chiba, Japan

Sustainability of food waste

IMG_2022-09-10-12-45-57-977.jpg

Hello

Have you been experiencing the remaining such as a soup after finishing the meals ?

I think may be throwing a trash straight it...but, it is still able to have.

In the event of me, I will be used for next lunch or dinner time.

For example, the ramen soup will become the pasta sauce.

It is easy to make cream sauce which is only added milk and cheese and bacon with flying pan.

That's not only be sustainable like a waste food, but also it must be delicious !

I want you to recommend this way!

How are you doing?

Thanks,

Minako
14 Replies 14
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

We recycle all our food waste in the UK so wouldn't throw it in the bin @Minako10 

Our local council turns it into compost to use in our local parks.

Here leftovers from a Sunday lunch can easily become a curry, soup or a casserole.

I use my freezer a lot to create individual food . portions so you only take out what you need 

Thank you for your replying @Helen3 .

That's sounds great!

Your countries are considered to try to keep less the waste.

wonderful!

but unfortunately, My countries are still threw a lot of trashes such as a plastic ban.

Japanese people should be considered to suggest more that effectively method for protect the earth.

Minako
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Minako10  We specifically tell guest that if they have perishable food they can't take, to just leave it.  Otherwise people throw half cartons of eggs and juice, and nearly full take out boxes into the trash which then becomes wet and gross.  We offer a tabletop compost recepticle but only 1 guest in our entire hosting time has used it.  We can barely get guests to recycle plastic and metal, trying to get them to separate out their organic waste is sadly not possible.

Ourselves, we try as much as possible to use everything...left overs or past its prime products go into soup or stews.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's such a shame @Mark116  is it not mandatory in the US to recycle food waste. Here we can get fined and potentially criminal prosecutions if we don't recycle items the council provide bins for us to recycle household waste in.

Currently we can recycle the following items from hom

Plastic

Foil

Batteries

Textiles

Clothing

Shoes

Paper

Cardboard

Cans

Glass

Food waste

Food waste is particularly easy as like you with have small food waste containers which go on the work surface next to our cooking areas, so it's second nature to use them when preparing food.

Garden waste

@Helen3  Only a very small handful of cities mandate any kind of recycling.  Jersey City has a pretty robust system to encourage recycling...they provide free bins, they also provide free small composters and there are neighborhood drop offs for recycling if you don't do curbside or have your own composter.  But no fines for not doing any of it.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's a shame you can only imagine how many thousands and thousands of tons of food waste and recyclable materials could be diverted from landfill if the US and other countries were to commit to mandatory recycling @Mark116 

What we have found in the UK is that you need a carrot and stick approach - it's good for the environment and their will be financial penalties if you don't 🙂

@Helen3 

Now that you mention it,

my grandmother has the garden near my house. at the same time, she is used to grow flowers such as hitched eggs, fish bone and cutter vegetables.

The fertilizer will be changed to valuable nutrition for some plants 🌺.

Minako
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 

I do think it varies from council to council in the UK. For example, from the items that you mention you can recycle 'from home', where I live (Borough of Lambeth), you cannot recycle:

- Soft plastics: Only hard plastic 'tubs and trays' can go into the recycling bin, e.g. plastic bottles, yoghurt pots. Unfortunately, any thin or soft plastics, you have to put in the bin or deal with yourself. I try to reuse what I can.

- Foil: of any kind cannot go in the recycling, but you can put in tin cans.

- Batteries: nope, but you can take them to a local supermarket for recycling.

- Clothing/shoes: nope, again, but there is a nearby charity donation bin where I can take them.

Food waste is an easy one though as the Council do provide a bin and weekly waste collection service for this. You just have to buy the biodegradable bags. Pretty much any kind of food waste can go in this. 

@Mark116 I find that most of my guests are pretty good with this. Actually, they are better with it than the other recycling, maybe because they find it more straightforward. I have, however, noticed that American guests are by far the most wasteful with food, including the most recent one who worked for an environmental organisation. It actually astonishes me how much they throw away.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 

Thank you for your introducing the article for me!

That's very interested in about food mulch and using recycling.

I would like to be useful to your advise for my life such as a daily life and business.

Minako
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Minako10, thanks for sharing this! I try to reduce food waste as much as I can. We've got a little garden patch where we grow some veggies, so I tend to use whatever food waste as compost whenever possible. 

There's only one recycling bin here for plastics etc., and one for general waste. 

@Sybe, in the Netherlands we pretty much have recycling bins for everything 👀

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy 

@Quincy wrote:

There's only one recycling bin here for plastics etc., and one for general waste. 

This was my point about it varying according to local councils. We are both in London, but where I live, we also have a food waste bin that the council empties weekly. Unlike composting in your own garden, you can put any kind of food waste in it (including cooked food, meat, fish etc), so it is is useful even if you do compost.

@Quincy 

Thank you for your replying for me.

Using the waste of food in the garden is very effectively way, because it's not only reducing such as a mulch from domestic, but also becoming fertilizer without chemical materials and eco friendly for the earth.

My grandmother has the garden and she often uses it because she often cook at home for customers.

Minako
Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Minako10 and thank you for your article about food waste,

Usually the guests leave the food they don’t want in the fridge, and I have a compost spot in the garden for it.

@Mark116 , how does your tabletop compost recepticle look like ?

It’s definitely a good practice I shall start asap, thank you!

@Helen3  you are lucky to have so many possibilities from home to sort different garbages, here in our countryside we must go to the recycling center to drop many of it (cardboard, woodboxes, oils, batteries, lights, electric appliances...). As a result,  some places in our beautiful Fontainebleau forest are full of trash, dumped by people or constructor’s people  at night. It’s a shame and costs almost 1 million euros /year to the region.

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)