Switching from Host to Traveler

Leib0
Level 4
Kansas City, MO

Switching from Host to Traveler

I am a host and my Airbnb page is obviously set up as a host.  I want to try using it as a traveler/guest.  How do I switch???  And seriously, shouldn't that be the simplest frigging thing in the world, why the heck would the programmers fail to make this obvious??!?!?!  I don't get it.

78 Replies 78

I am working with Safari on my MacBook air. They have made it easier.

Traveling to Host: If in traveling mode there is now a tab at the top called host. This has multiple options under it.

From Host to Traveling: This seems to change, depending on where you are. I can click on trips or saved and it seems to take me naturally to traveling. But depending on where you are in hosting it may not be so natural. If I preview my listing that takes me to my listing with Host, Saved, Trips, Messages on top (next to help and my picture). 

Rick111
Level 2
Clemmons, NC

To switch from traveling to hosting mode select the profile icon then select the switching arrows icon. Airbnb and it's app are extremely frustrating to work with. It seems everything with this company is hidden and you have to spend precious time digging and going in circles. Shouldn't be this way. Great concept, needs much tweaking to provide a better experience for it's users.

Renata169
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Stupid App,

Auto switched to travelling and I couldnt get back in to Host mode and had a guest en route to my apartment and I had zero contact

I'm not seeing the switching arrows icon...

Andrew664
Level 1
Wallace, Canada

Every time I have ever gone on this site; I am filled with rage immediately at the fact that not only can I not do the first thing I need to; not only should it be a simple one-click-and-go; I actually believe Airbnb has designed their interface to obsfuscate commerce...Airbnb, your website is the worst site I ever encountered by a factor of 10.

It should be simple - as Leib said: it should be just about 'the simplest frigging thing in the world' - who knows, maybe us mid-westerners just haven't figured it out yet ... but obviously ABB hasn't acted on this design flaw since it's a year and half since this post and the problem still persists.

We've been host for nearly five years .... why cant we just log in and say we want to travel? The hoops are so cryptic we never remember how we find traveling from one time to the next.  Nearly every thing about the web page is more complicated than it needs to be.

Kristine88
Level 2
Cle Elum, WA

Why is this so complicated?!?!?  VRBO makes this easy by having a seperate apps for traveler and host!!  I have spent more time trying to figure out how to switch from travler to host so I can do everything on my phone.

Tamara72
Level 2
Denver, CO

I'm on a Mac.  I don't see a "Trips" tab at the top or the bottom.  I can definitely do the "Switch to Hosting/Traveling" on the app on my phone and I-Pad, but I'm stymied on the computer.  

Go to your profile and go to the section that says,  View and edit profile.

There is a drop down menu there. 

It says:

Travel for work?

Notifications

Safety Center

Refer a host

Credits and coupons

Switch to traveling

OR Switch to hosting (depending on which view you are in)

There is an S like arrow. Click that and you will switch to the other view.

Good luck.

Also when you are on your profile,  hit the arrow to go back. This will bring you to the place where you can edit your profile. This section has the drop down menu where you can switch from one view to the other.

Good luck.

WHY!!!!!!!!! Is this not resolved. 

Louise389
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I am a host and occasional traveller but switching between the two on the website using my laptop is NOT intuitive and my home page is set as traveller so now that I want to update some hosting details I am being frustrated by not being able to switch. I just don't understand why this isnt the easiest thing in the world to do. Ggggrrrr.....

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Leib0

It’s easy open your air bnb page.It shows you travelling or host, so switch to host.

Natascha22
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Hi, I know this is a 2-yr old thread, but in case someont is looking for an answer on how to switch from hosting to traveing in a webbrowser (not an app): 

The only way I have discovered so far is going to messages, and then choosing the "traveling" tab (thus to see the messages that your hosts sent you in the past). Then the trips tab should appear automatically at the right upper side of the site and when you click on it, you are in traveling again. 

Little bit inefficient, like everything on the new aribnb portal, but what do you wanna do? Obviously, a $1Bil.-company does not have money for a decent webdesigner...

From home page:

Click Mesage tab in upper right corner.

View All from drop down menu.

Traveling and Hosting Tabs appear toward the top of the screen.

Click Traveling 

Click Explore Listings