Sydney strata banning Airbnb - How long can I honour bookings for?

Answered!
Julie1155
Level 3
Noosa Heads, Australia

Sydney strata banning Airbnb - How long can I honour bookings for?

In two weeks my strata are putting it to the vote to ban Airbnb in our building in Sydney's Eastern suburbs.  As far as I know I am the only owner doing full time Airbnb.  We live interstate and use our property regularly but rent it out inbetween visits.  If it is approved by 75% of owners I'll have to go to permanaent letting which will mean we cannot use our property.  It's awful!  We have bookings until early March 2019.  My question - if the ban goes ahead, can I honour all existing bookings or will I have to cancel future bookings?  This would no doubt cause me to lose my ability to Airbnb at all and my Superhost status (we Airbnb a property in Qld also) and would upset alot of travellers who have booked 6-12 months in advance.  I've searched the web but can't find any information relating to this.  Anyone able to help?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you know you are likely not to be able to host in the long term, the most logical approach for me would be not to be taking long term bookings, but only book your calendar as being open three months ahead.

That way you minimise disruption for your guests.

My understanding is Airbnb will help you cancel the bookings and you may not face cancellation penalties.

Why not give Airbnb a call and ask their advice?

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Al95
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Hi Julie,

I am an  owner in Sydney. Recently strata sent me letter to stop.

I have found many hosts same situation as you and me. 

According to the information I got so far they can't do anything but end up in ncat or court.

I need your help and advise too.Please help me. I appreciate your cooperation.

Thanks and regards 

Al 

If it's anything like the US then the legal action will eventually add up to $$ against your property. Having owned a condo I think you need to see both sides

- the common insurance carried for the building, liability etc will not cover STR. This would have devastating impact with a flood or fire caused by STR. 3rd party insurance would also not cover the entire structure.

- HOA need to control the % rented or the condo become impossible to mortgage. 

- other owners may be impacted by STR. Common concerns include security, parking, communal maintained costs, noise etc

Julie1155
Level 3
Noosa Heads, Australia

Hi Pete, 

I certainly don't want to spend money on legal action. I'm not going to fight it, I just want to honour existing bookings.  Guests have booked 12 months out.

Best regards, Julie

Julie1155
Level 3
Noosa Heads, Australia

Hi Al, 

I'm not sure that I can help, sorry! I'm just trying to work out where I stand without spending money on legal advice or upsetting anyone.  

Best regards, Julie

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you know you are likely not to be able to host in the long term, the most logical approach for me would be not to be taking long term bookings, but only book your calendar as being open three months ahead.

That way you minimise disruption for your guests.

My understanding is Airbnb will help you cancel the bookings and you may not face cancellation penalties.

Why not give Airbnb a call and ask their advice?

Julie1155
Level 3
Noosa Heads, Australia

Hi Helen, 

Thank  you for your advice.  My calendar is only open 3 months out.  If the owners vote for the new bi-law I'll block it completely and look at furnished rental.  Great idea to call Airbnb.  Will do. Best regards, Julie

Phoebe51
Level 2
Canberra, Australia

The case went to the supreme court and judge said that owners’ coprporations were not allowed to interfere with an individual owner’s rights.

Phoebe51
Level 2
Canberra, Australia

@Phoebe51 , Thank you for taking the time to post these links for the benefit of others. Much appreciated.

Phoebe51
Level 2
Canberra, Australia
Phoebe51
Level 2
Canberra, Australia
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Julie1155 @Christine1 @Phoebe51 @Helen3 

Some useful titbits that help ABB Hosts & Guests in this article...especially the 21 day limit been one!!!

Fears raised about loopholes to Sydney Airbnb Limits

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fears-raised-about-loopholes-to-sydney-airbnb-limits-20190916-p5...