Tax Form W-8BEN

Samantha188
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Tax Form W-8BEN

If i do not live or have an apartment on AirB&B in the USA, do i still need to complete the Tax Form W-8BEN?

4 Replies 4

@Samantha188 - From the form itself: 

Do NOT use this form if:

• You are NOT an individual . . . use: W-8BEN-E

• You are a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person, including a resident alien individual . . . use: W-9

• You are a beneficial owner claiming that income is effectively connected with the conduct of trade or business within the U.S. (other than personal services) . . .use: W-8ECI

• You are a beneficial owner who is receiving compensation for personal services performed in the United States . . . use: 8233 or W-4

• You are a person acting as an intermediary . . . use: W-8IMY

Note: If you are resident in a FATCA partner jurisdiction (i.e., a Model 1 IGA jurisdiction with reciprocity), certain tax account information may be provided to your jurisdiction of residence.

Tax help can be found with a tax professional, which I would encourage you to seek out in South Africa.  The community forum is made up mostly of other hosts, some of whom have tax knowledge, but do not have specifics to your situation.  Your hired accountant certainly can help you. 

Thanks for the info.  I completed the form thinking i had to as there were 2 one for US citizens and another for others.  I only have an appartment in South Africa.  I do pay tax in South Africa hence i need to remove this from my profile.  Just can't find where to do it.

Correct - believe W8 is for foreigners with US source income. So no rentals in the US and you should be fine without a W8.

Hi,

I have a hotel in Nicaragua. I just set up a room in airbnb. Do I need to submit the W8 BENE to rent the apartment?

If I do need to submit it, where do I submit it?