Tax ID not required if below the yearly threshold (Ontario, Canada)

Connie421
Level 2
Gogama, Canada

Tax ID not required if below the yearly threshold (Ontario, Canada)

Hi there,

I am a seasonal Airbnb in Ontario, Canada and do not surpass the  yearly threshold ($30,000 I believe) therefore not required to collect and remit GST/HST taxes to CRA. (but I do declare the income). With this I do not have a government tax ID. Is anyone else in this situation? From what I understand if I do not enter my tax ID in airbnb, the platform will add the taxes to the guest's reservation (and will Airbnb remit this to the CRA on my behalf?). Confused here lol

4 Replies 4
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Connie421 

Hello from South Bruce Peninsula😁

Like everyone else in Ontario, you should likely consult a tax accountant. 

Search Ontario and GST.

Mary478
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

This is my understanding. I have trying to research the GST situation. I too don’t reach the 30,000 so my understanding is that I don’t need a hst number or to charge hst. However the GST is very confusing. If you submit a GST number to Airbnb they will charge this tax and submit it to CRA. My concern is that it will flag my account. I already and have always submitted any money received from Airbnb rental on my income tax. I was told that if I register for an HST number that this number will follow me and when I go to sell my property that I will have to pay hst on my sale of my property. Not sure if this is the case with the GST number. I have contacted Airbnb several times but still can’t get an answer. This is very concerning to me so much so that I am planning on removing my property listing. Wondering if anyone has any information on this. My bookkeeper doesn’t seem to know the rules around Airbnb as she says they are constantly changing. Any suggestions?

Marcides0
Level 1
Lambton Shores, Canada

Hi,did you ever get any more answers or information about your guest?..I,m also wondering same issues

Lisa7048
Level 2
Winnipeg Beach, Canada

Good point you make here. My accountant did say to me that because I don't reach the 30,000.00 not to worry about it. 
so I'm going with that!