Tax Reductions

Nicholas187
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Tax Reductions

Hello,

I rent out the flat I live in to AirBnB as a whole flat.   At first I stayed at friends for those weekends, but after a while this was uncomfortable for me. I felt like I was abusing their friendship.  So I bought a camper van in order to always have somewhere to go when I rent the flat.  It worked well.

My question  is regarding income tax and deductions.  When I accept a booking request, I will generally drive to Dorset, go to a campsite for a few days which eats into my profit.  What I'd like to know is are these costs tax deductable?   1.  The costs of purchasing the vehicle? 2. Costs of vehicle maintenance?  3.  The costs of camping and petrol whilst my flat is rented?

Does anyone have an idea?  It seems to me to be perfectly reasonable as none of these costs would occur if I was not AirBnBing my home.

Thanks, Nick

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nicholas187 I very much doubt these expenses are tax deductible. If they were then anyone owning two homes could claim the costs of the one they were not renting out.

@Nicholas187 No, these are not deductible expenses. But you're right about one thing : crashing at your friends' homes for free so you can Airbnb your own home was definitely an abuse of their kindness.