Tax id

Martin932
Level 1
Stockholm, Sweden

Tax id

Hi! Im in spain and when i fill in the tax ID number as requested by Airbnb (my nie number) I get an invalid tax ID response from Airbnb. 

This is the tax number I’ve used in buying my apartment (and payed the appropriate taxes) so it should be correct. 

What can I do to fix this?

interestingly the forum app has my location incorrect. I’m not in Stockholm at all...I’m in Barcelona. 

happy new year! 

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Call Airbnb and ask them to help you resolve the issue.

Richard600
Level 2
United Kingdom

Same problem here. I contacted AirBnB but they didn’t fix it yet. In fact they sent me a reminder to do something that their system can’t handle! The mind boggles!

John-And-Judy0
Level 2
Cútar, Spain

Basically you can't add your tax ID unless you are a Spanish National - because foreign residents' tax codes have a different format and airbnb's algorithyms can't handle that. They suggest replying "no" to that question and then adding your NIE. This is what they call "the workaround" - which as someone who's been declaring holiday rental (and other) income here in Spain for many years is extremely irritating.  They claim there are "a few" cases like ours - but I suspect, logically, there must be thousands of us. 

Thanks John & Judy

I guessed that was the case and in fact did exactly what was suggested (NIE added). It was a bit annoying that AirBnB didn't own up to their mistake and to add insult to injury the sent me a reminder asking me to do it - even though I had already alerted them to the problem, and they had denied it was happening!

Richard