Tax information needed?

Tax information needed?

Just got an email stating 'URGENT: Tax payer info required.' Is this legit?

5 Replies 5

I got that email too. Feels like spam. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Gordon-and-Janet0 @Lilia1127 @Anonymous 

This is the email I received today.

Avoid tax withholding in 2022

We’re reaching out because of new federal legislation changes to tax reporting requirements that could impact your future payouts.

To avoid up to 30% of 2022 payouts being withheld and remitted to the IRS, we recommend you provide US taxpayer information for your Host account no later than Dec 1, 2021.

It should only take a few minutes to add it now.

What to do
Add taxpayer information for any individuals or entities who receive money from the account receiving this email. Your taxpayer information is usually your social security number or in some cases, your employer identification number (EIN). If there are two or more taxpayers, also follow these steps:

1. Go to Account > Payouts
  2. Go to the ••• menu for each US payout method
  3. Choose Assign a taxpayer

Why it’s required
To comply with the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, companies are required to collect taxpayer information in order to fulfill Form 1099 reporting requirements for the 2022 tax year. This is a federal legislation change affecting many US companies starting January 1, 2022. Taxpayer information from Form W-9 or W-8 is used to prepare 1099 or 1042-S for the 2022 tax year.

What to know
Your taxpayer info is required to prepare your tax form(s), and if you don’t provide it, here’s what could happen:
  • Up to 30% of your payouts will be withheld in 2022 and remitted to the IRS
  • We won’t be able to issue you a complete tax form for 2022
  • Without a complete tax form, you may face challenges in reclaiming any withheld taxes on your 2022 tax return and may have to pay up to 30% taxes on top of the amount that was already withheld and remitted on your behalf.

Get help

Why is Airbnb requesting my taxpayer info?
How do taxes work for hosts?
How do I change my taxpayer info?
More tax help

Airbnb, Inc.

888 Brannan St.

San Francisco, CA 94103, USA

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Gordon-and-Janet0 @Lilia1127 @Anonymous 

I believe it is a legitimate email but just in case I didn’t use the link. I went to the website and added the information as instructed.

D3B9BFAA-EF96-4634-BC53-1063461461D2.png8D62DE31-A0A1-4BB1-ABAA-FD0EF043C1FF.jpegHi @Brian2036 @Gordon-and-Janet0 @Lilia1127 @Anonymous  I received an internal email from Airbnb about completing my Taxpayer info last year. If you don’t do it, they withhold 30% of your earnings.

What interesting is that I completes this time stamped December 20, 2020. And this year they have be holding back the 30% even though I have completed the information. I have literally thousands of dollars being stolen from my account by Airbnb.

I have contacted Airbnb via phone multiple times stating that it’s a different department and someone will get back to me and as of today and this morning phone call nobody has still gotten back to me even after I’ve called back multiple times..

I have contacted Airbnb via phone multiple times stating that it’s a different department and someone will get back to me and as of today and this morning’s phone call nobody has still gotten back to me even after I’ve called back multiple times.

also taking screenshots of the information that I completed and sent them through the messaging system with no response back. And there have been multiple messages that I have sent.

I would hate to think that Airbnb is just stealing money from me because they can and I certainly hope nobody else is in the same predicament. But if you are please contact me I would like to know how to handle this situation as I am now reaching out for the Better Business Bureau and any other organization in each of the countries to report Airbnb.

as a super host it’s kind of disgusting how they treat you and the fact that they don’t respond back to my phone calls or my messages makes me feel like I’m being scammed and it’s not a nice feeling.