Tax time in the US - I need total service fees paid

Eric155
Level 3
Destin, FL

Tax time in the US - I need total service fees paid

There used to be a nice handy report, each year it seems Airbnb changes or makes it harder to find tax reporting info.  How can I create a spreadsheet of all the different screen breakouts? I don't want to add up each stay.  I'm sure I'm missing something, this is Airbnb after all.

thanks,

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I believe that since the host Air BNB fees are taken out before your payout and your income is based on the payout, you do not need the total fees information for taxes.  Alternatively if you include the occupancy tax in your nightly rate rather than Air BNB collecting and remitting for you, you would need to deduct the total taxes paid from your payout.  Make sense?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Eric155 Under Transaction history, use the Gross earnings report.  The only column that it does not include is the service fee the guest paid to AirBnB.   This column omission is IMO a gross error, as the taxes paid by the guest include the taxes on the service fee, so the Occupancy tax column displayed does not accurately compute.  However, having this CSV gives you the ability to create the column and then enter the pertinent information, which is a PITA.  

My recommendation going forward?  Create your own spreadsheet and populate it with the information for each rental/reservation.  I do this each time I get a booking, and at the end of the year, I am not relying on some joker programmer at an OTA for the valuable information I require to file my taxes.

My columns:

Name of Guest and Reservation Number

Arrival date

Departure Date

Number of nights

Number of persons (if you charge for extra people)

Pets/no pets

Source (name of OTA)

Charge for number of nights booked  (ex:  $190 X 5 nights)

Cleaning Fee

Pet and other fees

Discounts or Other Charges  (Ex:  $50 for extra cleaning/broken stuff)

Credit card charge (% service fee from OTA)

PAID TO ME  (equals the bank deposit)

Taxes paid by Guest

OTA Service fee paid by Guest

Guest paid total

I also keep a detailed expense report for plumber visits or other repair charges, materials for repairs, getting supplies at "Bulk Buy Store or Hardware Store" .

I don't rely on an OTA to give me what I need to conduct business.

Great answer Lorna!! thanks so much!!

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

@Linda108  Airbnb sends out a 1099 which has the gross figure. You need to know the host fees taken out in order to deduct them. You can find this under transaction history.