Taxation in Oceanside CA (North County)

Answered!
Nick199
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Taxation in Oceanside CA (North County)

It seems that AIRBNB does not collect occupancy and TOT taxes on behalf of hosts in the Oceanside area.  How are you handling? 

1 Best Answer
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Nick199. If Airbnb is not collecting TOT in your area, you have several  options: 

1. Adjust your nightly rate to cover the TOT cost and pay it yourself out of pocket.  This is what I do since the alternative is cumbersome. 

2.  Disclose in your listing that guests will need to pay X% upon arrival.  They can pay you in cash, check or credit card (some guests will balk at giving you a cc number) which is one of the very few cash transactions Airbnb allows.  

3. Send the guest a Special Offer which includes the cost of the stay plus the TOT.  

Here are Airbnb's instructions for this: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it

Hope this helps!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Nick199. If Airbnb is not collecting TOT in your area, you have several  options: 

1. Adjust your nightly rate to cover the TOT cost and pay it yourself out of pocket.  This is what I do since the alternative is cumbersome. 

2.  Disclose in your listing that guests will need to pay X% upon arrival.  They can pay you in cash, check or credit card (some guests will balk at giving you a cc number) which is one of the very few cash transactions Airbnb allows.  

3. Send the guest a Special Offer which includes the cost of the stay plus the TOT.  

Here are Airbnb's instructions for this: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it

Hope this helps!

I appreciate the prompt and the detailed response. Thank you! 

@Nick199 You're welcome!  I've been having to do this for the past 3 years and now I'm doing the happy dance since Airbnb has recently formed an agreement with my county to collect TOT from the guests automatically when they book on or after October 1st.  Hopefully your county and Airbnb can form such an agreement to alleviate your having to collect and pay TOT.  I know what a pain it is!

Good luck!

Do you who this money (occupancy tax) is given to and can we get verification that it has been paid?

Thanks

Carolyn420
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

I heard that starting May 1 air bnb will be remitting TOT in the area. Can someone tell me if this is true. I have not seen any deductions from my guest total breakdown so far.