Taxes: Canadian renting in Arizona

Stephanie191
Level 1
White Rock, Canada

Taxes: Canadian renting in Arizona

Hi, I am a BC resident (Canada) looking to potentially rent my Arizona house, any ideas on how taxes are handled or implications of the tax? At this time the house is just a holiday home.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephanie

3 Replies 3
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Do I Need To File A U.S. Income Tax return If I Rent Out My U.S. Vacation Property?

If a Canadian (U.S. non-resident) individual rents out their U.S. vacation property for 15 days or more then they may have to file a U.S. income tax return to report the rental activity.

A non-resident owner is required to pay a specified percentage (30%) of the gross rents received on account of withholding tax.  Although not required, the non-resident will normally engage a U.S. agent to collect the rents and remit the withholding tax to the IRS on their behalf. If the appropriate withholding is made then the non-resident should have no further income tax filing requirements.

However, in cases where there are significant rental expenses (such as mortgage interest, property taxes, management fees, etc.) the 30% withholding tax obligation may constitute a hardship to the nonresident owner.  Accordingly, the IRS has provisions that allow a nonresident property owner to make a “net rental election” and be subject to tax at the graduated tax rates rather than the flat 30% withholding rate.   This “net rental election” can be made by attaching a statement to the U.S. income tax return (Form 1040NR).

If the “net rental election” method is chosen, the individual owner should notify the U.S. agent that the 30% withholding is not required by providing the U.S. agent with a completed Form W-8ECI “Certificate of Foreign Person’s Claim for Exemption from Withholding on Income Effectively Connected with the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United States”.

http://www.wolrigemahon.com/tax-implications-canadian-owning-u-s-vacation-property/

Emilia39
Level 2
Novato, CA

~Stephanie,  Did you rent your property?  I am in Vancouver wanted to rent a home in Californina and am wondering about the taxes. Thank you

Mark1461
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Cynthia and Chris - thank you for your detailed explanation. I am wondering you state,

"If a Canadian (U.S. non-resident) individual rents out their U.S. vacation property for 15 days or more then they may have to file a U.S. income tax return to report the rental activity." 

I am just renting one week. So do you think withholding doesn't need to happen? I am declaring that one week of rental income on my Canadian taxes so not sure if I need to pay 30% to the US as well. Being double taxed is not something I want. Thoughts?