Taxes anyone else looked into this?

Taxes anyone else looked into this?

Hi I am in Georgia. Kept seeing these tax totals on my guest payouts and out of curiosity I tried to see a break down. No break down available and support keeps telling me that one method through reservations is down and when try the 2nd method export feature all I get is data for stay and no tax breakdown. Contacted my local tax authority and they have no figures. 

I went on vrbo and they are collecting all the required except my local city.  I KNEW WHEN THE GOVERMENT GOT INVOLVED THIS WAS GOING TO BE A CLUSTER. We should have banded together and lobbied against this.

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Charlie128 

Your listings says:

(Rome) Local Sales and Use Tax (Floyd) (Georgia)

More info can be found here:

Occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-georgia

How-does-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-work

Yes i have found all this but there is no way to see the tax details and the customer service person I am messeging has not been able to resolve this for several days. Just today she told me that guest pay the tax so it will not be visible to host. This is false and I asked to be moved up the food chain. Airbnb host communication and service is terrible. if these taxes are not remitted properly the autority goes after the host. Its happening all over the country.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Charlie128   Do you file your returns?  Even though AirBnB and other OTAs collect the taxes from my guests and (supposedly) remit them to the State, County and municipality on my behalf, I file monthly reports as required by law for my rental income.  I keep a simple spreadsheet of my bookings.  I tally the earnings I receive each month and submit them with the calculation (2.5%, 4.5% and 6%) of tax owed BUT already CREDITED.  I also submit a letter stating that the taxes were collected by AirBnB and VRBO and I owe ZERO.   This paper trail assures me of never worrying about an audit.