Taxes

Paul246
Level 2
Midvale, UT

Taxes

Hi,

The location of my rental, Ponce Inlet, FL in Volusia County, qualifies for airbnb to collect and remit taxes without my involvement.  

However, when I submit a test booking on airbnb, the taxes being charged to the customer are far less than the actual taxes that should be collected!?

i.e. between State and County, the tax incurred should be 12.5% .  From what I am seeing, airbnb is collecting ~ 1/2 that .. 6.5%.

Hows does that shake out!!?

Paul

5 Replies 5
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Paul246 - I don't see a listing attached to your profile, but Airbnb may only have an agreement with one of the jurisdictions instead of both. You may still be responsible for collecting and remitting the remainder.

@Cynthia-and-Chris1 - Not sure where to I would put my listing in profile but, here is the listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14486706

When talking to airbnb, they act like it's all taken care of. I would hate to be penalized for not paying the correct taxes.  

I checked out your listing and it looks like they are collecting the following taxes:

General Sales and Use Tax (Florida)

General Sales and Use Tax (Volusia)

Thanks so much for having a look @Cynthia-and-Chris1 . Those two collection areas are correct.  

Odd that their rate is ~ 1/2 of that which is necessary to be collected!?  

Florida State is 6.5% and Volusia County is 6% equalling 12.5%;    airbnb collects about half that.

Dana102
Level 1
Buffalo, WY

Hi,

As of August Airbnb started collecting taxes in my State.  However the tax amount is not correct and they are collecting more than what is owed for Wyoming, Johnson County, and I am not located in the city, so that tax if any should not be applied.  I can not seem to get a message to AIRBNB nor can I seem to get this corrected. 

My concern is that I have submitted the tax for prior months to my State and now the August tax being collected is incorrect.  This will most likely cause a time consuming audit.  ANY ideas how to fix this????

Thanks All!