Taxes

Mohamad13
Level 1
Tacoma, WA

Taxes

Hi, I'm new to hosting. Airbnb just now asked me to fill out the taxpayer information. There were three forms: W-9, W-BECI, W-8BEN. I'm an international student and don't have SSN. Which form should I choose? Do I need to request ITIN?

2 Replies 2
Jennifer955
Level 5
Martindale, TX

Hello Mohamad,

I used to do taxes so I hope this helps you. You don’t need a SSN o TaxID but it’s better if you do. Otherwise Airbnb will withhold 28% of your income and send that information to the IRS. Then you will have to file a tax return to get back some of it. If you do have a TaxID, then airbnb will send you everything but you will have to pay taxes yourself in April. 

I’m not sure of your particular situation but, also make sure if you are subletting your landlord is okay with it. If you do it without landlord consent and they find out about it, you could be evicted from your apartment. (Check sub-leasing in your contract).

Airbnb is much better than roommates, and it’s a great way to make money, but be up-front.

I hope this helps!

🙂

Mohamad13
Level 1
Tacoma, WA

I'm sorry but I totally am confused about tax laws in the United States. Can you help me clear out things?

I filled out the W-8BEN and now Airbnb withheld about 30% of my payout. Could you tell me the basic of income report and tax laws in the United States. When do you do it? What should I do?