Technical Issues with the Community Center

Answered!
Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Technical Issues with the Community Center

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to highlight some issues on the CC that have been reported to me by @Sarah977 in the past few weeks. She has been very patient, but the team are still struggling to recreate the error in order to get to the bottom of it, so I wanted to see if anyone else had had similar issues when using the Community Center?

Below are some details, (and I know Sarah will chime in to correct me or add more info where necessary):

• When posting a comment with a tag at the start, you get an "Invalid HTML" message. If you put the @ tag at the end of the post, it still shows the error message, but if you hit 'Reply' a second time, it posts.
  • The same "Invalid HTML" message when replying to DMs in your CC inbox.
  • When navigating through a thread with different pages, you get a "Leave page? Changes you made may not be saved" message, even when you haven't written a post.

Sarah has been getting these issues on Google Chrome on Windows 10 - is anyone else seeing this at all? 

As ever, screenshots and/or videos would be super helpful. Please do let me know and fingers crossed we can do some detective work here 🔍

1 Best Answer
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Katie @Helen350 @Emiel1 @Sarah977 

Interesting you say this has been going on for around 2 weeks @Sarah977 bc it ties in with around the time frame Microsoft did an update Roll out which saw major outages across the world which has left users having problems & vulnerable to hacks.

Have a look under Microsoft news technical problems.

There's always IT issues which are jolly annoying each & every time they do a Rollout.

You may need to go to where Updates are in your Computer and uninstall the ones they have recently installed.

Hope this helps get to the bottom of it.

@Katie  it would be helpful if ABB worked directly with Microsoft on these issues to prevent them arising in the first place as it impacts directly on internet " plumbing/ road" networks wherever people are connected.

It's worse when it happens on mobile phones as one is limited in finding how to fix these things.

It does ones head in and don't start me on the hands /fingers!!

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Katie 

I do not encounter the issues (but i use Firefox....and do not use DM)

Only the "invalid HTML" is a frequent message, mostly when you paste a picture or a emoji or an external link.🙁

Emiel1
Level 10

@Katie 

So here is the screenshot what happened when i posted the message above (as i included an emoji in it). But after presseing "reply" a second time, it is accepted.

Emiel1_0-1603144309027.png

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 @Katie Same here, Chrome & Microsoft edge, Windows 10

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Emiel1 @Helen350, are you adding the emoji from the menu above the message, or from your own device/keyboard?

Also @Emiel1 which operating system are you using? 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Katie 

I select the emoji from the menu (icon: "insert emoji") above the message.

OS = windows 7 prof, 64 bits

Firefox = latest version

To add:

when the emoji is added and error shows up, the emoji is displayed very large.

I will reproduce another screenshot with this😊

Emiel1
Level 10

@Katie 

here it is:

Emiel1_0-1603217991527.png

Emiel1
Level 10

@Katie 

And finally i include a screenshot of the warnings and errors as detected by the Firefox web console (technical feature) when loading this page:

Emiel1_0-1603219718214.png

That's exactly how it was appearing to me, as well, Emiel.  That's the error I first reported to Katie, which she said the techies couldn't "reproduce". 

Then all these other errors started happening. 

@Katie

Emiel1
Level 10

@Sarah977 

The other errors seem to be related to the Chrome browser (as you stated also elsewhere)

For example: in my screenshot about warnings/errors i am "worried" about the last one, which could(!) cause mouse action problems on other browsers, as being typical command for Firefox (Mozilla) browser (although depricated it still works), but maybe ignored on other browsers (?).

Let's wait for the tech people...

@Katie  I have the same issue as Emiel describes. Windows 10 home, Chrome, all up to date. I select emoji's from within the message. Other than that, no issues.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Katie I add the emoji from the menu above the message.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much for the feedback @Helen350 @Emiel1 - and the screenshots are super helpful 😊

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The issues are a bit more extensive than that. I'll try to make them clear here.

1. When I compose a post, and hit Reply, no matter whether I used a tag in it or not, I always get the "Invalid HTML, correct the highlighted errors" pop-up. There is nothing highlighted.

2. When I hit Reply again, I get the "Leave page?" pop-up. If I click on that, my post then posts.

3. If I put a tag at the beginning, when I hit Reply, the entire post disappears from the reply box, except for the tag.

4. If I put the tag at the end, the post remains. If I tag more than one poster, when the post posts, only the first tag is there.

5. Every time I hit the back browser, or click the page numbers to move onto another page, I get the "Leave page? Changes you made may not be saved" pop-up.  I have to click on that to proceed.

6. If I add an emoji, no matter where in the post I put it, it always shifts to the end of the post when it posts.

7. I cannot answer any DMs at all but Katie's. Always get the "Invalid HTML". If I hit Reply again, it does it again, until it says I've tried too many times.

All this is when working in Chrome on desktop. I use the latest version of Chrome. It's been going on for over 2 weeks now. 

All works fine in Firefox, but that isn't my preferred browser.

@Katie 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

And the emoji error that Emiel screenshot is exactly what was happening to me that I asked to be looked at by the techies, that they seemed not to be able to fix, before all this totally messed up stuff started. @Katie