Terms for age restrictions

Answered!
Ari8
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Terms for age restrictions

Hello

I'm new on AirBnB, and I would appreciate some help from more seasoned hosts. Like most people, I understand that guest age can be a concern to some hosts. I also know that AirBnB's Terms require users of its services to be at least 18 years old. 

I would like to know whether AirBnB has a policy against hosts setting the age lower bound higher than that, e.g. at 25 years old on their House Rules for instance. I've come across a couple of threads on other forums that touch upon country-specific discrimination laws, etc, but they're not really relevant to what I'm after.

I'm actually looking for any sort of explicit rule by AirBnB itself that would, for example, result in closing the host's account. I would be grateful if you could help.

Thanks
Ari

1 Best Answer
Monta0
Level 3
Boston, MA

Hi Ari!

I checked out your listing out of curiousity, it's great! Makes me want to travel to Athens. It doesn't strike me as a place that would attract the younger folk.

There's a way to work around the age restriction without explicitly saying so---

1. Cost: If you're charging enough, the younger folk won't be able to afford it.

2. Make it explicit that your home isn't for partying- which, I see you have already, but maybe with more emphasis?

3. Enforce some sort of quiet time that begins at 10pm at night, for instance- for the sake of the neighbors.

The first guest we ever had was college aged. I was terrified he was going to burn the place down, but he was really quiet and totally respectful of the apartment. We haven't had any young ones requesting lately, probably because the apartment is now out of their price range. Charging cleaning fees and safety deposits will help you weed out people you don't want.

Also... if you don't instant book, you can always gauge the situation and decline. I hope you find this helpful!

Good luck! Your listing looks great.

Monta

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Monta0
Level 3
Boston, MA

Hi Ari!

I checked out your listing out of curiousity, it's great! Makes me want to travel to Athens. It doesn't strike me as a place that would attract the younger folk.

There's a way to work around the age restriction without explicitly saying so---

1. Cost: If you're charging enough, the younger folk won't be able to afford it.

2. Make it explicit that your home isn't for partying- which, I see you have already, but maybe with more emphasis?

3. Enforce some sort of quiet time that begins at 10pm at night, for instance- for the sake of the neighbors.

The first guest we ever had was college aged. I was terrified he was going to burn the place down, but he was really quiet and totally respectful of the apartment. We haven't had any young ones requesting lately, probably because the apartment is now out of their price range. Charging cleaning fees and safety deposits will help you weed out people you don't want.

Also... if you don't instant book, you can always gauge the situation and decline. I hope you find this helpful!

Good luck! Your listing looks great.

Monta

Hi Monta!

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, for sharing these useful tips, and for your kind words about my listing. I've also checked your flat and it looks great!

All the best

Ari

I feel your suggestion to "gauge the situation and decline" could lead to a discrimination charge and penalty. Isn't that something you should have explained more?

Jacquie2
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

My home is in the winter resort of Whistler, BC Canada.  It can sometimes be a magnet for young hooligans arriving to ski.  I have absoluely no issues with anyone coming as a guest but do have reservations on guests below the age of 25.  I sometimes make exceptions for couples but singles are a no no.  I am wondering if I can put a higher security for anyone under 25 to get past this new Airbnb rule.  I know Airbnb allows you to specify rentals to only those with "reviews" but there are a lot of first time guests who would not qualify and I would hate to discount them by using this feature.  Our HOA (strata) has advised all owners NOT to rent to under 25's but it is not a law in the community.  Are there any suggestions how to get around this rule?  my home is lovely, has been renovated and is in a great location so I do not want to risk having it trashed by some young people.

Jacquie,

Age is a sensitive subject, especially since it falls within the scope of Airbnb's discrimination rules.

As a guest, I was once upset with a listing that explicitly disallowed anyone under 40 years of age, or if you were under 40, they wanted people with kids. I was offended because we weren't planning on partying, we wanted to have a get together with some close friends. Though tempting because of locaiton, we ended up not requesting to book because we were put off. I would not put a age restriction on your listing.

What I would do is charge enough to feel comfortable if you encountered a disrespectful guest. People can be disrespectful at any age. Charge for a deposit that you can deduct if they break or hurt your property. But keep an open mind. People are mostly respectful! Make sure people read your house rules and respect them.

Ronnie12
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

A potential guest just asked if it's ok that he and his girlfriend are 17 years old. Should I not accept their booking?

I believe the company itself has a requirement that people need to be over 18 to book on the website. How did they get through?  Another issue..you might be hearing from an angry parent at some point in the future if you let a couple that young book. Are they local?  They might be just looking for some empty space for a few hours...

I wouldn't risk it.

We just had an 18-year old book.  And he brought 50 of his closest friends.  Police visits, bad feelings from neighbors, literally thousands in damages to the property.  It would not be worth it for us to take the risk again.  Though the risk we thought we were taking was that he was booking for 2 but may sneak in another 6, for which our housekeeper was on the lookout.  I would love to find a way to restrict bookings to 21 and older.   I haven't found it yet.

James494
Level 2
Sunnyvale, TX

I have the a 25 age restriction set for for my listing and well defined in house rules but still get inquiries that i must decline. Does this affect my rating or metrics?

Hi James,

I can't find where to restrict the age.  Do you remember where you found it?

thank you,

Lynn

@Lynn-And-Paul0 the only way to prevent someone under 21 years old from booking is if your HOA, insurance or company bylaws states it. You can be asked to show proof also if someone reports you for age discrimation.   

You can only restrict the age of children.  I do not allow anyone under 12 and there is a box to check not suitable for children 2-12 or infants.  But i run a 'tight ship' and guests have to agree to ALOT of rules before clicking 'request to book' plus i am too expensive for younger crowd.

@Jill2  You are incorret. Someone reported me for age discrimation on this community to AirBnB because I stated in a thread I do not rent to anyone under 21 years of age. The thread is somewhere here. When you're reported they will ask for proof and you simply send them a copy of the bylaws you are held to and/or your insurance policy stating such. Some other host was reported also and gave her HOA restrictions to them and she was okay also.

Here is the policy. I fall under the community restrictions as my property is classified as a Resort in the bylaws and limits the age of renters to 21 years old:

Age and Familial Status

• Airbnb hosts may not:
    • Impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.
  • Airbnb hosts may:
    • Provide factually accurate information about their listing’s features (or lack of them) that could make the listing unsafe or unsuitable for guests of a certain age or families with children or infants.
    • Note in their listing applicable community restrictions (e.g. senior housing) that prohibit guests under a particular age or families with children or infants.

@Letti0 Following italisized is cut and pasted from airbnb.......

You can say your listing isn’t suitable for infants or children if there are features that are dangerous for children or there’s a risk of property damage. If you decide to restrict guests with infants or children from booking, add an explanation so guests can understand why your listing isn’t suitable for their trip.

Under "House Rules" i checked the airbnb box provided not suitable for 2-12 or infants.  But you have to give a valid reason why.  I have a pool and no life guard on duty and falls under the unsafe  feature category.....

• Provide factually accurate information about their listing’s features (or lack of them) that could make the listing unsafe or unsuitable for guests of a certain age or families with children or infants.

I am not limiting minimum  age of primary renter which i think if i understand correctly you were trying to do (min age of 21) which i think hosts should be able to do on THEIR property if they want!   But we are not permitted to!  My higher price, many rules and level of rental and the fact i live on the property (rental is guest house in the back) younger people (not all) but partyiers dont want 'owner occupied' places anyway.  I have quiet hours stricly enforced as well.