Terrible body odor after guest left

Answered!
Lisa5804
Level 1
Overland Park, KS

Terrible body odor after guest left

We had a guest leave and when he left the body odor is the worst smell I have ever encountered.  We have been washing, ventilating(in January) and professionally washing all bedding for days and it is still there.  We already had to cancel one guest because it wasn’t suitable to have a guest stay there.  I have a couple questions...

1. we are out hundreds of dollars with this now.  Is it reasonable to ask for any of this from the guest?

2.  Any ideas on how to keep this from happening again?  Can I put something on my listing to protect us from this again?

3.  anyone have any recommendations on wording for his review?  He did not break any rules but I also want to warn other hosts so they don’t have the same issue.

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Lisa5804 

It is weird that the smell is still lingering even after opening the windows and washing all sheets/towels. I have always been able to remove any unpleasant people smells simply by lighting a candle for a few hours. Are you sure that something didn't die or some source of the smell is still there? How long did this person stay?

It would be a miracle if Airbnb reimburses you since nothing can be proven and you would need receipts from some kind of professional smell remediation process.  And if you ask the guest to pay up it's really their choice whether they want to or not. 

For the review, I would definitely give him low stars and would click 'would not host again.' Something too the point and factual like "XX was clean and easy to communicate with (if true). There was a lingering odor left in the apartment that took days to remove."

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lisa5804 

I suggest to enter "body odor" in the community search box to find out you are not the first victim who hosted a skunk....

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Lisa5804 the first "rule" of any place is to leave it in such a state that it is immediately habitable upon your exit, so on that count, this guest, whether they meant to or not, did "break" that rule. Unfortunately, people who smell, simply do not know that they smell. So, to your #2 point, I don't think you can prevent this from happening. ( I will say though that my guest expectations do say that they should tidy up and not leave behind stains, trash or smells.) Furthermore, smells, excessive or not, cannot be "proven", so, yes, you could ask the guest to reimburse you, no way to know if they will or not. I'd lay odds that ABB will not agree to pay for "smells" if the guest does not take care of it themselves.

Febreeze and fresh air are helpful.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Lisa5804 

It is weird that the smell is still lingering even after opening the windows and washing all sheets/towels. I have always been able to remove any unpleasant people smells simply by lighting a candle for a few hours. Are you sure that something didn't die or some source of the smell is still there? How long did this person stay?

It would be a miracle if Airbnb reimburses you since nothing can be proven and you would need receipts from some kind of professional smell remediation process.  And if you ask the guest to pay up it's really their choice whether they want to or not. 

For the review, I would definitely give him low stars and would click 'would not host again.' Something too the point and factual like "XX was clean and easy to communicate with (if true). There was a lingering odor left in the apartment that took days to remove."

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lisa5804Do you have any idea what the lingering odour was caused by?
Vapes? or Chemicals such as sprays used in agriculture produced by Pharmaceutical companies can cause hideous smells and leave a person with body odours that are hard to rid oneself of as well as cause harm to those using them so it may be a little wise to tread carefully.

All the best

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Lisa5804   I purchased a commercial ozonator on Amazon to eradicate cooking and smoke smells (amongst others) for when I have had guests who broke the rules, or to really freshen up the property between guests.  It may help you with this smelly situation.

Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 6,000mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer (6,000mg - Black)

Ron6689
Level 1
Slinger, WI

We wonder what the hell?  Then we laugh about it.... then we stare at each other and we try again to laugh about it... then we realize they stole one of our mugs.   Now I am upset.

Disinfect, Febreeze, light multiple candles and windows.

Did I suggest candles?  BIG Scented candles...?

Ionizer-?

Best of Luck!

Ron