Pittsburgh, PA

Terrible news of a Pittsburgh Airbnb

24 Replies 24
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nina204 

The link shows no article...

Oh it does for me.  I’m not sure what else to post.  Maybe just search it in the news? 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emiel1 

It worked for me.

@Nina204 

Unfortunately these incidents can happen anywhere and are not only limited to ABB.

It's in many ways unfortunate that when incidents happen in ABB properties they get a bad rap.

Sad for everyone all around.

Sampathy to all.

Nina204
Level 6
Pittsburgh, PA
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Emiel1 Here I copy the article below

A woman who was wounded during a triple shooting in the Hill District Tuesday night died Wednesday, according to Pittsburgh police.

A man was also killed in the attack, which happened during a party at an Airbnb short-term rental property in the 3300 block of McNeil Place around 11:30 p.m. Both were shot to death; neither has been identified by authorities. A third victim was grazed.

A spokesman for Airbnb, an international company that allows customers to book stays in other people’s homes, said Wednesday that the shooting happened during a party at a rental property.

“We are horrified by the loss of life,” spokesman Ben Breit said in a statement.

He said that Airbnb removed from its platform the guest who had booked the house that night, and suspended the listing — so others cannot book a stay there — while the company investigates what happened.

Mr. Breit noted that the Airbnb listing for the property said parties and events were prohibited. He also said Airbnb tries to prevent violence and other problems at its rental properties in the United States by running background checks on guests and hosts, as well as by screening Airbnb reservations for red flags that point to possible suspicious or concerning behavior.

The owner of the property did not return requests for comment Wednesday.

Shelly Bradbury: 412-263-1999, sbradbury@post-gazette.com or follow @ShellyBradbury on Twitter. 

First Published June 12, 2019, 1:30pm

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mike1034 

Thank you. The second link @Nina204 provided did work, both ones to the "Gazette"  only displays a header with name of paper and a menu underneath, but leaves rest of page blank (no article). Choosing something from the menu does loads some data, but at the end again blank page. Gazette is not for Dutch eyes !

But is a horrible story.

paywall probably 

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Strange assumption.

Actually much more likely it is because  we are in Europe so cannot access many US media @Sammy35 

@Helen3 

Pardon? I don't understand "strange assumption".  I wasn't making any.  All I said was paywall probably.  So I really don't understand what you mean.

Many of our news papers in the states put articles behind paywalls--especially local and moreover community papers, over national news/media outlets.  If one doesn't subscribe you can't read.  If one reaches free article limits, you can't read.  At times of rallying for revenue.   The list goes on.  But I don't dispute other commenters, unless something is factually egregiously wrong...so if you think it was more likely a distance or location issue by all means...

This is a Pittsburgh tag so I wasn't even paying attention to any readers or commenters from across the pond.  But the horror stories are everywhere--a simple google will confirm.

~~~~~~~
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Nina204 @Emiel1 @Helen427 

A lesson is learnt that never never allow to have a party in your house for Airbnb guests.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I don't actually believe what the airbnb spokesperson said is true: that they run background checks on guests....

@Mark116 I don't believe that as well. If they had done the check, there would not have been so many bad incidences reported in the forum. One example is that a person could register in Airbnb with just an email. And a host just posted that she received a booking with just a first name and the guest profile does not have any information, no email and no phone number.

airbnb indeed states that they run background checks.  they MAY use algorithms to TRY to weed out derelicts however that could happen

don't believe for ONE second

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1308/does-airbnb-perform-background-checks-on-members

~~~~~~~
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark116  Agreed. It's hogwash. Sounds good for the press. Hosts are now reporting getting requests from users who don't even have an email address or a phone number listed on their account, let alone a profile photo, a written profile or verified ID. So how exactly does Airbnb check them out if they have zero information on them? A guest can open an account and book a place immediately. How does that leave time for a criminal records check?