That's it, I quit. AirBnB, that is. Who needs it?

Roger68
Level 3
Roanoke, VA

That's it, I quit. AirBnB, that is. Who needs it?

I just joined Air BNB last night...ready to quit today. I just don't like the way they do business. They control the booking process with out input fro the host or the renter. There is no chance for a dialogue before booking. IDON'T LIKE ANYONE TELLING ME THAT MY RESERVATION IS BOOKED BEFORE I SAY SO!. FINALLY NO ONE TO TALK TO IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY FOR AN ANSWER. I spent the better part of a day working a stay out with a first time renter...trying to get a deal that we both could live with.....because we were both facing a total of 10% undisclosed fees together if we canceled a firstimde booking for both of us. Meanwhile I have been waiting for

19 Replies 19
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Instant Booking is completely optional.  Turn it off and you can approve/decline each request.

Take time to learn the system and you'll appreciate it more.

Or: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/240/how-do-i-cancel-my-account

I don't *think* instant booking is optional for new members.

But then again I discovered a much better level of functionality when I moved from Airbnb website to the mobile app.

Cynthia and Chris,

Thank you. You are right, I need to do more reading......thought I had more time to do that. Unfortunately, so far all I've had time to read are emotional rants.

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Roger, I just looked at your listing and I think you have a bigger problem.  Why are you trying to put info such as your phone number in your listing? Airbnb has removed this.  Plus you are telling people they must pay by Paypal or check before the stay.  This is not how Airbnb operates.  The guest pays Airbnb first and then they pay you the day after the guest arrives. The fees are disclosed and the guest sees this breakdown when they put in their dates.  The fees come from the guest and the host.  You need to learn how Airbnb operates.  Plus I do not know anyone that is going to bring their own towels and linens for a variety of bed sizes.  Nobody in  the US would travel this way.  Plus yelling at the community through caps is not necessary.

Jennifer,

There is a world outside of this one. I have been a REALTOR for 24 years. I have been a real estate investor for 35 years. I advertise on 2 other web sites, and I can tell you that you are so wrong. In each of my two other web sites, I receive full payment at least a week before tenants come......it's done every day. I have been renting this property for years, and for all those years I asked people to bring their own bed and bath linens for sanitary and liability reasons.....never had a complaint......again, I am not the only one who does this. True, I am new to this site and I frankly do not know how it operates.....I just tried to do business as I do on the other sites. And yes, they do pay by PAy Pal or check prior to arrriving.....new to you....but not probably anyone who has rented outside of Air BNB. And again you are wrong, people follow the way I outlined here every day.....millions of dollars change hands......doing  business the way I tried. So there is a lot you need to learn about the world outside of your little Air BNB corner of it! 

Secondly, this web site is not user friendly for the first time user. When I wanted to add a fee to my rate, it was impossible to figure out how to do it. What idiot would say click on "calendar and more" to change a rate? How about a user friendly approach like an "edit listing button" which gives to you a drop down menu.....where calendar, rate adjustments, picture uploads, etc would all be menu options? That's the way the rest of the world does it. You might be level 5 in Air BNB world.....but you are definitely a level one in the rental world outside it.

Wait, you're not being serious, right? Please don't tell me you're being serious.

I'm always seerious when it comes to real estate. Comes with experience.

If you don't like the way AirBnb does things, you should not list there. As a REALTOR, you are aware of standards of practice and the importance of not deviating from those standards. eg: Would you take a listing where the owner stipulated that they got to interview each prospective buyer before they were shown the property? Probably not, because owners meeting prospects is not the standard of practice for REALTORS.

Only accepting payments through the AirBnB platform is one of AirBnBs standards of practice. AirBnB is not saying that it is not possible to handle payments other ways, they ARE saying if you use AirBnB to market vacation rentals, their terms of service require you to handle payments exclusively through AIrBnB. 

@Roger68  Please please read my post.

There was no way I was going to ignore this post of yours.  And I certainly wasn't going to let it go that you continously told @Jennifer178 she was wrong.  Sir....YOU are the one who is wrong.  I am beyond flabbergasted that you would brag about being a REALTOR for 30+ years and think that every company operates the same.  I know a Real Estate company that charges a Flat Rate commission here in Hawaii and not the 6% commission that other companies do....is that company wrong too!?!  No Sir they are not.  They just decided to do real estate a bit different to attact customers.  Just as Airbnb has done with their company in providing hospitality different from hotels.  And they have succeeded too!!! 

1.  The reason you are so frustrated is that you have proven to myself, Jennifer and everyone else reading this that you did NOT do your due diligence in reading the "ins and outs" of becoming an Airbnb host.  I am a Superhost, and have been for 18 months now.

I can assure you that I read EVERYTHING I could for 6 months before creating my listing and taking on booking requests.  I absorbed what everyone wrote here, read every article on the Airbnb website as well as read their Contractual Terms and Conditions. Something that is also required by every realtor to do when conducting the sale or purchase of any home no matter where you work.  And you and I both know that not every sale or purchase of a home is the same. SO READING IS KEY!

2.  Had you read the many articles and helpful tips on how to get started as a host, you would have been a lot less frustrated.  Clearly you are needing more business or you wouldn't have ventured onto a new site. Would your clients buy a house without seeing it, walking in it, reading the Home Inspection report, reading the contract, or escrow papers?  NO THEY WOULD NOT. This is no different.

3.  One of the many reasons mistakes are made by hosts every day is the lack of learning how it works.  There are so many things to read and understand before you start hosting including "What is Instant Booking?"  Clearly you didn't do that either. 

4. It is your responsibility to decide on your settings within your account and understand how it all works by using the many helpful tools that Airbnb provides. No one held my hand when I started in July 2015, and I sure as heck didn't post on the community wall that Airbnb is awful. Quite the contrary, its actually the BEST COMPANY I HAVE EVER PARTNERED WITH....and I have had many many business partners in my life working in law.  Airbnb cares alot!  And their Customer Service is beyond superior!  I speak from experience of working with Airbnb for the last 18 months.

5.  I personally hope you apologize to Jennifer for the simple fact that she was pointing out the obvious to you which I would have done as well had I seen your post first. I dont' think she was out of line at all.  Heck you may even attack me too, but know this, I am much more thick skinned.  A good idea would be to humble out and act like the mature responsible realtor you keep bragging about that you are.  

6.  Please feel free to contact Airbnb 24/7 customer service (they even work on Christmas Day, gasp!) as they can hold your hand and walk you through the process to help you understand a bit more of how this works....because believe you me when I say...IT WORKS and it works fabulously!!!  I love Airbnb and enjoy helping other hosts  on a dailly basis with advice they may need on how to best reply to a guests who has strange requests, or to offer my loving support to a host having a bad day like the awesome SUPERHOST  today who got a bummer of a review saying her 3 year old was too loud outside during the day.  Imagine that, a 3 year old being too loud while playing outside in the yard of HER HOME!?!?  If I could meet that guest, I would be reminding them they rented a room in a beautiful house WHERE A FAMILY LIVES.....and choose a hotel next time.

7.  I truly hope you can take a deep breath and realize that YOU are the one who made the mistake....actually a few of them, and close your listing temporaliy until you learn everything you can from the very helpful website that Airbnb provides to every host. And when I say everything, that includes the policy about what is allowable in your listing....since you chose to violate those policies by adding your phone number and payment system to your guests.  Major No No.  And you can't claim ignorance because its YOUR responsility to read EVERYTHING prior to becoming a HOST....not a REALTOR.....this community is made up of actual hosts..in all kinds of capacities. Some more personal like me who host guests from all over the world in my home....that's right...IN MY HOME.  And yes, I come across many guests who have not read the Airbnb policy on being a respectful guests who should follow House Rules but I can promise you they get a huge education from me. The first one being....READ READ READ.  🙂   (many have thanked me for taking the time to walk them through learning how to use Airbnb to book a home or how to follow simple House Rules)

8.  If you need the phone number for Airbnb, go to the search bar at the top of this page and type in HOW TO CONTACT AIRBNB. Trust me when I say.....the numbers are all there!  That's how I got it back in May 2015 when I decided to call and ask a few questions.  They were incredibly helpful. 

9.  And as far as the Real World goes, I can assure you that I have lived in it for 51 years as a wife, mother, lawyer, Airbnb Superhost, great friend, Award winning Businesswoman, mentor and yes, including working on real estate transactions. 

10. Something that just occured to me.....is that you might not actually read all of this even though I took great care to help you and share some helpful tips....but just in case you skimmed my post, like so many of my guests do by skimming my House Rules, and not read all 12, I am going to take this opportunty to repeat myself in #10 here by saying.....Do yourself a favor, and educate yourself on "How to be a Great Host" on the Airbnb platform by READING READING and more READING.  Knowledge is Power....it certainly isn't by putting other hosts down who were just merely pointing out the obvious. And I chimed in to say THEY WERE ACTUALLY RIGHT!

Wishing you all the best, but maybe this Airbnb platform isn't for you.....that can be said about a few other hosts too.  But the majority of us do know how Airbnb works and we partner with Airbnb to make money, provide for our families and open our homes to meet all the wonderful people around the world! Airbnb actually helped make my Dream come True.  I get to spend more quality time with my precious daughter teaching her that in the REAL WORLD.....one should always take the time to read what is in front of them.  🙂

oops....almost forgot to mention.... Yes, I too am one of those people who actually does travel with her own sheets.....why....because I just love my 1000 thread Cotton sheets and most places don't have them.  Even travel with my own pillow.  haha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

I stick by what I have written. I didn't realize that when I signed up I needed to go to Air BNB school. I just signed up one night....had a booking the next day. You are right, I need to take time to read all the rules....they are far different than other web sites. I shall do that. Still doesn't excuse the unfriendly interface of the dashboard. If Air BNB were my first attempt, I would have approached this differently, but there are other web sites that do things that while common to all of them are vastly different to this one, I made the mistake of assuming that this site was like the others I am on. Plus, I didn't think I would get a booking this quickly. That is why I signed up in January...to get time to learn the system before the season started. I signed up and told I had a booking in less than 10 hours. Still there are certain flaws in Air BNB that can not go excused. There is no chance for a dialogue between the host and the tenant before booking...that is a legal and logistic nightmare. If I have questions of a tenant or they wat to ask me something...we should have an opportunity before a "booking" takes place. Speaking of "bookings"...that should be a decision between the host and the tenant....not   Air BNB. Plus this is the only site I know that claims a booking before the host is paid. On VRBO as well as Vacation Home rental.com, hosts are paid in advance of occupancy. That is the industry standard. Granted I should have read that first, just didn't think it was done differently. Momi, a few thing you should know......while you have accalades in life....we all do...nothing special.....but the site was still difficult to maneuver in. When I pressed the "help" button or the contact button.....there was no phone nmber for me to view.....I actually used another site to find a number to call. Like anything else the more you use something....the more accustom you are to it......still this site is far from user friendly. While I was signing up, I saw no tutorials,and I thought I had time to go to youtube or whereever to learn the system. But as I said, in just a few hours, I had a "booking" and did not know this system was so different than tthe others I use. My fault, but I didn't see the freight train coming this soon. You can be as "flabergasted: as you wish.....but if you pick your head up out of the AirBNB sand, you would see that there are common "standards of practice" that other sites employ ......not done here. Your ridiculous example of real estate commissions is one I will not address for code of ethic reasons. I wasn't bragging....just giving "street cred" as a real estate profession with experience in property management. Funny you should mention that a potential buyer would not buy a home without seeing it first....that is exactly my point about AirBNB. No opportunity for dialogue is given before hosts and tenants can converse,,,in essence Air BNB sys who buys the house and when....you actually make my point. Actually I do know what "instant booking is"....called different things by diferent sights...but it's a disaster waiting to happen....I would never use it. There are so many things that can be misunderstood between tenants and hosts (landlord) that I would never book without dialogue first. One of these days when you open your wallet up, you will understand why. If you think Air BNB is the best of what's out there....you need to get out more. Finally, there is some merit in the Air BNB platform.....though I would not depend on it solely. 

you are lecturing on a host forum, to hosts that are so efficient and successful with Airbnb that they take the time to help out new hosts or anyone else in need of an answer.  why waste so much of your own time broadcasting your impatience and failed attempt? we did our homework and have answers, you didn't and don't want the answers. best of luck.

@Sabine42  Well said well said.

@Roger68  See Roger, unfortunately that is where you are wrong...yet again.  There is absolutely plenty of ample time to have a dialouge with a guests..I can talk to a guests for days or weeks if I want before I accept them.....its not up to Airbnb who stays in MY HOME....its MY decision and no one else....that I can assure you! Its actually required by me as a host for a guests to have an ongoing dialouge in order for them to stay here. I actually wish I could hold your hand myself like the host I am currently doing in Dallas Texas who called me this morning panicing over a bad situation regarding 2 seperate bookings and lack of payments going through on time.  (he made a HUGE mistake and took a 3rd party booking which is not allowed.)   But here's the difference....he was kind and humbly asked for help after finding me on social media...unlike you who has taken the less then humble approach and wants to blame Airbnb for your lack of education.  No one said you  had to "turn on" your listing when you did.  You couldve created the listing, then keep it UNpublish until you have actually read everything so you have a better understanding of how things work. Then once you have a good grasp of EVERYTHING , you couldve PUBLISHED your listing at that point.  I highly recommend that you do that now. 

Instead of standing by what you wrote, why not take the time to thank me and other hosts for explaining what you can do to avoid these issues?  I am quite perplexed by that.  It sems you are hell bent on being a "right fighter", instead of taking a step backwards and realize that all of these oingoing frustrations you are feeling comes from you trying to do swing through the jungle without knowing where the ropes are first.  I didn't have any of these issues when I started with my first booking request.  Is everything perfect?  Of course not, but I do recall my law professor telling me that the reason we have many lawsuits in this country including real estate cases, stem from responsible adults NOT READING.  Something you have come to realize which have helped you had you done that first.  There is no need to use You Tube....everything is there on YOUR AIRBNB ACCOUNT......not just their website.

And as fas as IB goes, that is absolutely not a logistical nightmare at all...I have been using it since 2/2016 and if I feel that someone is writing to me in a very inappropriate way during our dialouge on the Airbnb message board, I just call Airbnb and request they find that particular guests another place to stay.  I have done it 3x already since starting.  I have even called a guest out of concern and from that phone call determined they indeed were not a good fit. Airbnb helped me and they were moved to another listing. win win for everyone. Instant booking does not mean GUARANTEE stay for anyone. Its just a great option for a guests to snag a host dates without waiting for the host to send a Pre Approval.  Its quite obvious that you still don't understand the IB format.  

That being said, its good to at least read that you admit you had not done your due diligence at all....theres still time for you to turn this into a positive experience....but in order to do that.....put your listing to sleep and wake up your brain.  😉  You are gonna need it to focus on all that is Airbnb should you decide to do it THEIR way.  Its your choice.  That's the beauty of this world....its full of options.

And its MY option to put my head back into the "Airbnb sand" as you so eloquently put it....an option that I have enjoyed since July 2015. Funny you say I should get out more....my husband would prefer I get out less.....but quite frankly, I LOVE HOSTING MY GUESTS BY TAKING THEM OUT TO FUN CLUBS, RESTAURANTS and BEACHES while we all enjoy one of my Momi's Marveous Mango Margarita too. And I know they do too because I am still in contant touch with 90% of my former guests.....who are now referred to as my new friends.  And I am incredibly grateful for the ongoing referrals I get from them. 

Before I sign out, I just wanted to thank you for READING my post.  Let me know if you are interested at all in my helping you. But keep in mind, you will get "Airbnb Sand" on you.....HAHAHAHAHA  (that was meant to make you smile....you do smile right?)

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

@Sabine42  There was one thing that he wrote that entertained me the most was his comment that he didn't realize he had to go to "Airbnb School"....yet almost EVERY real estate agent I have ever worked with over the last 29 years signed up to attend and complete Real Estate School.  HAHAHAH.....guess some people think an education stops there.  I am teaching my daughter that there is an opportunity to learn something new every day. And if you think you should stop learning, then you might as well lay down and die. Right?  

Happy New Year my hosting friend.

Aloha, Momi

Hi @Roger68 Airbnb does allow you to screen guests prior to allowing them to book, but unfortunately you have "Instant Book" turned on on your listing - which means guest may book your place without having any contact at all with you. As someone has already done - as frustrating as that is, it means your listing is getting traffic & bookings straight away, so you will likely do very well on Airbnb.

About Instant Book: You may or may not have the option to turn it off. Airbnb rolled out a new initiative some time ago making a certain number of new listings without the ability to turn Instant Book off. I hope yours isn't one of those. You can check by going to Calendar & More --> Booking. Change it to "No one. All guests must send reservation requests".

Turn Instant Book Off

If you don't see this option, you have a couple of choices - as it's a percentage of new listings which have Instant Book, you can try deleting your listing and create a new one, repeating as many times as needed until you do get one which allows you to turn Instant Book off, or you can try contacting Airbnb & see if they will remove it for you. I'm not sure if that's possible, but it's certainly worth a try. All ways to contact Airbnb are HERE.

You are not alone in your frustration - there are pages of posts here having to do with the difficulty in contacting Airbnb support, Instant Book and the lack of ease in navigating the listing pages, editing, etc. As with anything else though, once you learn the lay of the land, it does become easier - much, much easier.

I'd suggest you snooze your listing until you get a good handle on how Airbnb works, then go live once you feel more comfortable. To do that: in the screen shot above, where it says Listed, you can change it to Snoozed, or Unlisted. Hope that helps - Karen