The City Of Saint Petersburg

Laura1374
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

The City Of Saint Petersburg

The city is forcing me to stop, I’ve been reading that the state of Florida is making advances in allowing short term rentals, does anyone know more about this?

56 Replies 56

Hola Rubria , me mandaron una carta primero que tenía que parar , después me dieron una cita en la corte para ir , tú sabes algo al respecto ? 

No quisiera perder mi ingreso en la casa o venderla .Dejame saber si sabes algo 

grasias.

Hola Edgar, puedes informarnos como va tu caso?

Please review my resent language as to what you can do to advertise your AirBnB.   Keep in mind, your advertisement should read.....recommend 30 days or more ....in your setup.  You will get your renters, some might not, but more then not.

Hi John, @John1301 

The city tries to book for 1 or 2 nights, and if your AirBnB settings are not set to 30 day minimum, and they can book, you are still in violation. A woman I know was fined $250 a night for 7 nights and had to pay. No matter that the ad said "recommended stay 30 nights". Please see my comment in the thread.

Laura1374
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

You are allowed to rent it out once a month so switch to booking guests for longer stays. Also when the city did this to me they let me host the I stays I already had booked which was 3 months of bookings. Try to do that, lower you price and make the most money you can to at least get your investment back 

Hi Laura , thank you for let me know that, so 

is only 3 times a year more then 30 days min bookings?

Terry-and-John0
Level 1
Saint Petersburg, FL

We just got our letter today. It says 500.00 daily fine if we continue after September 23rd. Anyone else have this happen?

Robin614
Level 2
Clearwater, FL

Joining the thread here to help. I have a listing in Clearwater Beach and want to open a second in Uptown/Downtown St Petersburg as a 4-plex. I'm told it's allowed.

However that 4 plex is zoned as commercial.

Hi y'all, I've done this elsewhere but not yet in St. Pete.  I get the language in the ad, thank you. What about permits or licenses with the city?

David7342
Level 2
West Virginia, United States

I am from out of state and purchased a house in Treasure Island for a vacation home / vacation rental.  Unfortunately I did not do my research and I simply relied on my realtor who told me there were no rental restrictions for the house I was buying. So of course.. I had the same thing happen... within a month of listing I had 23 weeks booked thru airbnb and another rental site. I already would have had my mortgage covered for the year. Unfortunately on my 5th week of rentals, the city showed up. They noted that my listing already had 4 reviews posted in a month's time, proving the code violation. Thus I was made aware of the code (max of twice per year) and I had no choice but to sell. I did my research thereafter unfortunately. There have been a few bills proposed to remove Florida cities' grandfathered ability to restrict rental duration / frequency, but each of these bills have died. I would love to eventually purchase another place in Florida some day, but it'll be unlikely for me unless the laws change. 

How did the city know your location, was there a picture of your house? I'm noticing in several listings the ones that are available for less than 30 days generally do not have a front picture of the house. 

Michelle403
Level 2
St Pete Beach, FL

I’ve lived on St. Pete. Beach since 1979. Our house has been paid for since the mid 80’s and we’ve always welcomed guests into our small in-law unit. Mostly as a run off from a motel my parents owned and then sold when they retired. When Airbnb appeared in the scene, we were happy to open our doors to others as well.

Our guests love the old fashioned feeling of our clothesline for their swimsuits, our outside shower for after the beach, our library with over 50 Florida and Gulf Coast specific titles, the fruit trees and flowers in our yard, and our personable and welcoming knowledge of the area and it’s history. Many of them comment that this is the Florida they remember from their childhoods when they’d come visit their grandparents.

It’s not just a room, but an experience that we provide and now the city is trying to shut me down and is threatening me with a $250 daily fine. It’s my only income - my only livelihood and the visitors have been a blessing in my life. I’m devastated and don’t know what I will do now, financially. This has been my home for decades and without my Airbnb income I’ll be forced to sell my longtime home.

How can the city dictate who I bring into my 3rd bedroom? I don't believe they can.

I have guests who come year after year - as much for me and my knowledge as for the room. Not everyone wants the big, loud, overpriced, overcrowded and impersonal experience that all the hotels on Gulf Blvd. provide. I remember days of family-friendly themed hotels at the beach, back in the days of the Aquatarium and the wax museum... However, these days it’s all bars, bars, and more bars. The beach has changed, and not for the better. There are many people who want to avoid the “Spring Break” vibe that is now prevalent on this beach. Drunks are all over the place, day and night, and many travelers don’t want to see or experience that kind of tourism. There are still those who appreciate quiet, calm, and privacy.

I fill a niche which obviously people want. I pay my taxes and have never had a single complaint from my neighbors. I’ve welcomed guests into my home for years and now the city wants to shut me down. They’re economically murdering me by taking away my only source of income. How can this be allowed...?

I did not purchase my property as an "investment" and once again, I live here full time - I am just renting a bedroom and bathroom in my private home. AirBnB has been collecting and paying the tourist tax. I rely on earnings from my short-term rental to allow me to work from home. I've heard about HR 219, which states that over the last several years, local governments have attempted to restrict or outright ban vacation rentals — and it's in violation of Florida state law. A fundamental principle in America is private-property rights, and people who want to use properties as affordable housing can do so if they choose.

So what do I tell my local city code enforcement when I go to the hearing? Can they fine me or shut me down? I can't afford a lawyer, but state law says the city cannot shut me down.

Help! 

@Michelle403 

Sorry to hear what you are going through. I would recommend to talk to our lawyer. He is in Orlando, pro-Airbnb and represented us against the city the second time. Let me know and I'll give you his contact info.

Can you send me your lawyer contact.