The So-Called Host Guarantee and Guests from Hell - let's get organized

Diana141
Level 2
Oakland, CA

The So-Called Host Guarantee and Guests from Hell - let's get organized

I just had a horrible experience with a long-term guest in Oakland, [name removed]. Things were fine until her 6-year old daughter got into my makeup and fingerpainted the bathroom with my foundation. I made a respectful request to [name removed] to talk to her daughter about not getting into my things. This had happened before because this guest would spend the entire day in bed, smoking marijuana, leaving her daugther to play and run all over the house. She seemed to think that leaving her bedroom door open was sufficient supervision of a small child. After making my respectful request, this guest sent me a very abusive message via the AirBnB app, cursing and insulting me, accusing me of smearing the makeup on my bathroom walls myself to "set up" her child because I was "bored, lonely" and "needed drama in my life." I posted a screengrab of her message on Facebook, and my friends and family were APPALLED. She threatened to slander me and my nonprofit work if I didn't give her a refund of the four weeks she had remaining on her long-term rental, both by bashing me on AirBnB, and by taking out an ad on Craigslist. Her demand was in violation of both AirBnB's long term rental policy, and my strict cancellation policy, so I said no. And it would've left me stuck at the last minute without a tenant for the next four weeks. Actually I asked her to cancel her reservation so I could re-list the room and offered to refund her whatever I could recoup. She refused to do this. Her message was so bizarre and abusive, I was afraid to go home. I called AirBnB immediately to cancel her reservation and get her out of my house. They said if I did, they'd penalize me and block my calendar off for the next 30 days so no one else could book my room. So I was stuck with her in my house. For the next four days she proceeded to terrorize me in my own home, yelling at me to refund me her money, calling me a liar, telling me to not speak to her daughter, and to stay in my room. In a panic, I called AirBnB every day. No one called me back. She threatened me with a knife. I called the police. I put locks on my bedroom door. She also accused me of never giving her clean towels, that her bedding smelled, and that the house was filthy. All lies just to get a refund of all of her rent, even the four weeks that had already passed. Every review of me as a host has been stellar. Funny that in the four weeks she had been here already she never had a complaint. She had even asked me, just a few days before this debacle, to babysit her daughter to she could take a yoga class. Four days later, she started moving her stuff out. I hid in my neighbor's house. She made several trips all day, leaving the front door open and unlocked. I came home to my front door open three times, while another guest was asleep in the living room. Finally, all her stuff was gone, but she kept my key. So I called AirBnB. I had been calling them every dasy for four days with no return call. I was put on hold four times and each time their system disconnected me. It took me two hours of calling to finally get a return call. I spent an hour on the phone with them, only to be told this was a personality conflict and they were giving her a refund of the next four weeks, the days she hadnt used. I guess I'm lucky she didn't succeed in getting a refund of everything. But now I'm stuck with no tenant and no rent. I am furious and exhausted. Now my neighbor is upset with me because apparently [name removed] went to his house to ask him what I told the police. He is angry I brought drama to our neighborhood being an AirBnB host. I am furious with AirBnB for their lack of response to me in what was a threatening and unsafe situation. I feel like their Host Guarantee is a joke. They make billions off hosts like us opening our homes to strangers. I'm going to get a lawyer and sue them. Would anyone in the Bay Area like to join me? I'm also reporting them to our local tv news station Seven on Your Side, to see if they can be shamed into repaying me the rent for the next four weeks. Now that [name removed] has left, I noticed the fitted sheet on her bed is gone; she left many bags of garbage in her room; and she didn't return my key. I had a locksmith change it last night, for my safety. But I'm still nervous now because she is staying with another AirBnB host somewhere here in Oakland, so she's close, and she knows where I live and what car I drive. Does anyone want to join me in a legal challenge against AirBnB? I'm a well-respected activist with 20 years experience holding government institutions accountable. I am going to try to do the same to AirBnB. Who wants to join me?

26 Replies 26
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Obviously there is a lot going on here but my first thought was that any legal action should include the Guest.

I am not a legal expert but the AirBnB terms and conditions require Arbitration. I have seen this discussed but nobody who has gone through it has every said so.

David
Veer0
Level 4
Goa, India

Extremely sorry that you had such a bad experience. I wish I could join your petition, but I live in a different country.

My guess is that the laws (and potentially amended laws) in your country still won't cover 'bad behavior'. So I suggest (these priorities are based on your being an activist... for other hosts the priorities would be different) you focus on:

1. Getting this woman blacklisted on ABB. Flag her account.

2. Warning fellow hosts of the potential problems.

3. Getting ABB to not butcher your rightful fees.

4. Getting ABB to compensate you for losses.

Social media is very powerful. Prithee use it to abuse the woman AND ABB. Apparently ABB responds very positively when abused on social media. I have no personal experience with this though. In summary, all I'm saying is have a multi-pronged approach. Best wishes.

Oscar136
Level 2
Cabarete, Dominican Republic

ABB are jackasses. I would have made her life a living hell.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Diana141

I am sorry to hear about this guest. I really don't understand how if your guest behaved in this way. BNB penalised you rather than her.

I would contact them again on social media and ask them to reinvestigate.

By the way. It's always best to start a new thread if you want a response.

Because Airbnb always penalizes the host. I had to cancel a reservation because of a death in the family and was penalized - and I'm an award winning superhost, so go figure.

@Charlene6  You have dropped your post in the middle of an unrelated old discussion thread.  I believe you would get more host response if you started your own discussion thread.  However, that being stated, it appears you had an extenuating circumstance that would fall under that policy.  Did you contact Air BNB and request the automated system response be overridden?

What automated system Linda? I've tried twice to call Airbnb and have sent them an email. Feeling very dispirited.

If you do not tell them it is an Extenuating Circumstance and not a Cancellation they will not know, so always call or maybe Tweet. I would call.

David

I have no idea what an Extenuating Circumstance is? I won't cancel I just need emotional support and practical advice, which it seems Airbnb won't give until they get negative publicity and then they blame the hosts (although the recent stories from the Netherlands & Boulder were shocking, but perhaps they could have been avoided if Airbnb had counselors/lawyers to help us)

@Charlene6   Most of the platform is automated responses based on specific actions.  As @David126 recommends, do not cancel without involving  AirBNB.  Calling is best but can be discouraging as the customer service is overwhelmed.  So my trick is to call when I think the call volume is low.  So I call at 5 AM.  I am usually awake because I am a morning person, but if that is early for you, I would recommend you set your alarm to call at that time, or even earlier.  Just a thought.

I'm an early riser too, so I will try although I emailed them the whole sorry tale ydy. They claim that they respond in 24 hours - so far it has been 24 hours and no response.

I don't want to cancel, this can be managed, I just need emotional support and wise advice, I need to know that Airbnb has my back and as of now I feel that they don't care - unless things go wrong and then it seems the hosts get blamed.

I do appreciate you and David taking the time to reach out.

AirBnb is a booking service, I think you are asking for more than they could reasonably be asked to do.

You can eventually get though to them but will be on hold for a long time, when it comes down to it, it is your business and you need to determine how you want to run it.

David

I do not think Airbnb supports hosts. I do not intend to continue hosting. 

Oscar136
Level 2
Cabarete, Dominican Republic

I price high enough to avoid such guests.