The host being irresponsible towards non-Airbnb resident in the apartment

The host being irresponsible towards non-Airbnb resident in the apartment

What can I do to report a host to Airbnb as a non-Airbnb resident in the apartment? And is there any solutions for me to deal with a dirty Airbnb guest?

I’m not either the host or Airbnb guest first of all.

I live in 4bd/1bath shared apartment in NYC which I signed through a broker(the host).

when I moved in, this apartment was empty and never be told that they are listed as Airbnb. But soon I moved strangers keep moving in which was surprising.

And now I have this strange guest who makes the bathroom really dirty with his fences over the toilet lid/wall/sink and leaves really strong odor.
It’s hard for me as a 20ish girl to clean for and use after this old guy, so often my other roommate clean for me. But definitely we are all upset about his behavior. We have talked to him and even put a note about it, but nothing is changed.

I've talked to the broker aka Airbnb host with pictures, but all they say is “we explained him a house rule already, and we are not even sure if he is the one making the mess because he says you did.” ? And also asked to send pictures if I found the mess. Which I already did couple times.

The host seems taking an advantage of me because I’m not an Airbnb guest so technically my complains won’t affect to their rating/reviews on here. I will ask the other guest to report about him to the host but I don’t think they will do any.

What should I do? And what can I do?

7 Replies 7

@Koharu2   That's an awful situation, and I hope that ultimately you can find somewhere else to live (not an easy task in NYC, I realize). But I don't see anything in your situation that would be of any interest to Airbnb. Nothing you describe is a violation of any specific Airbnb policy.

Do I understand correctly that the host is a third-party broker and not the actual landlord? If this is the case, I would try and contact the property's owner first. It's also worth reviewing the city's laws around short-term rentals and your legal rights as a tenant. 

Unfortunately, it's often the case that renters put up with all kinds of legal violations because they don't have the resources to fight them. You have to think carefully about what the end result you're after is. Do you want to get out of your lease? Or for the broker to stick you with long-term roommates instead of Airbnb guests?

Thank you for the answer and advice @Anonymous!

Yes you got it right, the host it a third party broker and there’s someone else as a landlord.
The landlord is living in the upstairs but I have never talked to them, maybe I should try to reach. Actually this strange guest doesn’t lock the main entrance, and I think that violates other lives safety including landlord’s apartment.

also I know Airbnb in NYC is ILLEGAL, even some guests are aware. But by listing as “30days+ stay only”, they are somehow managing it?

There’s also another strange thing; “the host” isn’t one person. I found several Airbnb listings of the same room under the different host names.. and the funny thing is none of those hosts isn’t really a “host”. I haven’t get this room through Airbnb so I’m not sure how it happens, but we all contacting someone else who is not seen as a host in any of the listings, eventually(guess it’s the person in charge of a broker company, and those “hosts” are just employees/staffs to list rooms or to check ins). We all have never met the actual host by the way.

Yes I know this place is really strange... I am leaving this place in this month, so I guess I just need to hang in there -cries-

It is really stressful and upsetting because it’s my place!!!

I just want ”the host”  and Airbnb to do the right thing for the future potential renter of this house.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Koharu2  That is the WORST!  Definitely do as @Anonymous suggested and get in touch with the property OWNER.  If they don't know the "broker" is putting the place on Airbnb, they might be very unhappy with him and force him to take it down.

Also take a second look at your lease to see if this is disclosed.  If it's not, you will probably be able to break the lease, as tenant rights in New York definitely favor the tenant.  Take screenshots of all the pages of the Airbnb listing and keep those together with your messages to the host and your pictures.

It's also not as difficult to find another place to live right now, since so many people have fled the city.

Thank you very much @Ann72 !

I will talk to the owner at any chances. Actually I think they knew that the broker is doing Airbnb, because when the first guest moved in I saw the owner signing to some papers. But I’m pretty sure they aren’t really aware what’s happening inside of this apartment downstairs. 

I also heard Airbnb in New York is technically illegal. So I will definitely check the law again and take screenshots of listings. As I mentioned on the reply for @Anonymous, I found several listings of the same room under different hosts name. To me, this broker company seems doing something sneaky by not displaying the company name but use several staffs name to take precautions, so they can keep renting out as Airbnb. I don’t know though!

Anyways, I decided to move out in this month and will fly back to me original country. Until then, maybe I just should shut up and keep cleaning the grown man’s stools;(

@Koharu2  Oh gross, don't clean up after the old fart lol!  Although you're in a bad spot because you don't want to go in there to use it after him.  Ugh!

You and your roommate should put all all kinds of makeup and hairdryers and every random thing you can think of all over the bathroom to make it uncomfortable for him.  🤣

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I would recommend lots of "feminine protection " items! Creepy old farts are often offended by anything associated with with things menstrual. When you are leaving for the day perhaps a spray down of cheapo perfume as well? I'm thinking the girl's version of Axe!

@Sally221  🤣🤣🤣