The new Covid-19 Mask requirement.

Renée40
Level 4
Toquerville, UT

The new Covid-19 Mask requirement.

I'm really concerned about airbnb's new demands that we wear a mask in our own homes. I can't do it, nor is it necessary here. I have a B&B, which by definition in our town means I run this business in my own home and care for my guests personally. 

I do social distance as much as the guest would like me to. I understand fear, and I respect another person's feelings in general. But this is beyond intrusive. Most businesses are not requiring masks in Southern Utah, it's just a suggestion as we are at yellow.

That's not really the point. The issue is that they are making one rule for the whole of North America without any regard to local conditions.

Yes Covid-19 cases continue to go up, but at the same time the hospitalization and death rate is going down down down. The people we know who have had the disease and recovered did so at home without a doctor's care. I'm aware this is anecdotal, but it is certainly our experience.

I'm much more afraid of overreaching mandates than I am of this disease at this point. It's obviously mutated as all viruses do and is not as virulent as it was once reported to be.

Here's a scenario for discussion; What if a host has already had it? Immunity has proven to be the norm, just as in the case  of other viruses. You can only get it once. That one study stating otherwise was proven false. So if a host has already gotten it and recovered then why would one need to wear a mask? 

Renee S Garner
96 Replies 96

Though we do talk about trails and look at maps together sometimes. Especially now that Zion Park is limiting how many people can go into the main canyon so people are looking for alternative adventures. We usually do that at the dinner table. 

Renee S Garner

You are quite correct, many people seem to have zero idea of how to wear and use a mask properly in order for it to be effective, it's like they're just going through the motions and they might as well not be using a mask at all for all the good it is doing.

I think there should be extensive public demos of how to wear, remove and deal with masks that people could readily understand. Like smear some peanut butter over the outside of the mask, and pretend that is coronavirus. Assume you've just had someone breathe on you who was infected. Are people going to wad up that mask and stuff it in their purse or pocket, smearing the peanut butter all over? Are they going to put the mask back on now that the peanut butter is smeared all over the inside of the mask as well?

The thing about distancing and masks- if you're outside in the fresh air, and you are maintaining a recommended distance, a mask probably isn't really necessary. But indoors, distancing doesn't really help that much, because the aerosols from people's breath can hang in the air for up to 3 hours. So if people are in the same room, or even the same house, and they happen to be infected, the virus is in the air- it doesn't really matter if you stand 6 feet away from them, you could still be infected.

@Renée40 

I agree.  Mask create fear. I live on 20 acres and own a tree care company where I am out side a lot or in my office. I am not going to wear a mask when I meet guest, nor would I wear a pink bunny out fit because airbnb wants the guest to have a good laugh when they come to your place.  This is a BS rule and the executive that came up with it must be fearful him or her self.  Mask do not decline the spread of Covid-19 unless all the formal protocols would be followed.  I have only seen a few people ware a N-95 mask and it looked like he had it on for the last week, gross.  Next thin airbnb will request is that we get vaccinated.  There are other sites to rent or new sites will become the norm.   

I couldn’t agree more! Where else can we list our properties?

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Renée40 "Staying at a distance is more important than putting on that dirty mask... But that's just me." - NO! - It's ME as well! 🙂

I too get something akin to panic attacks when wearing a face covering. I feel giddy & light headed, & have been worried in the supermarket I would faint.

After the initial panic that Airbnb were telling us to wear masks at all times in our homes, I now read updated info as ONLY NECESSARY WHEN IN THE SAME ROOM AS GUESTS! Which as you say does not happen much, and is indeed entirely avoidable, apart from showing them around on arrival!

@Helen3 , I reckon you'll be OK; quick intro. tour with mask, then don't mix with guests for the remainder of their stay! 

The more I think about it, of COURSE I don't need a mask when I'm in my downstairs living room, & guests are in their bedrooms..... There's no exchange of each other's air, & we can't see each othr, so neither party could report the other, should they be so ill-willed & yah boo... (Who would??!! 🤔😱😆😜)

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As I’ve explained to you now multiple times. I will not be able to continue to host. @Helen350 

Again. My shared house layout is NOT the same as yours.

it’s rather patronising to say all I need to do is say hello and then I wouldn’t need to see guests again. That’s not the reality. I have been in the same large open plan area as guests  7 times today. To do my washing, plant bulbs in the garden, put washing out, use the dishwasher cook my  breakfast lunch and dinner.

My guests have been in the space since 10.20 am this morning and are still there 12 hours later.

I know my home share situation. You don’t. . 

Helen350
Level 10

Was just trying to be constructive @Helen3 . I assure you I don't do patronising, not to anyone! It was certainly not my intention to offend in any way.

I was constructively saying that whatever your house layout, it is possible to always be in a different room from guests!

I won't be wearing a mask in my own house either, except when meeting & greeting. We'll take it in turns to use the kitchen, just as everyone does with the bathroom! (Not imposing, just some creative thinking.)

I'm not sure what part of "the virus hangs in the air for up to 3 hours" in indoor spaces you don't understand. It doesn't matter that you and a guest aren't in a common space at the same time. If you walk into a room where someone else who could be infected was less than 3 hours previous, you are breathing in whatever aerosols are in the room from the other person's breath. 

This has been shown to be the primary means of virus transmission. 

@Helen350

Helen350
Level 10

@Sarah977 I've read arguments for and against that, no one really knows. 

The point of masks is, if I wear one, it protects others from ME when standing close to me. So we don't need them in separate rooms. IF the virus is hanging in the air, I will still suck it in through a mask, so whether I'm wearing one or not, it makes no difference. I WILL wear a mask when interacting with guests; my point is: it's easier to stop interacting with guests, than to interact wearing masks... which is socially not nice, & makes me feel faint. 

"I've read arguments for and against that, no one really knows."

That simply isn't true. It's solid science and not a matter of contention as to how long aerosols from peoples' breath can remain in the air before settling. That is a measurable thing, not a matter of debate and has been known long before COVID.

And while wearing a mask does protect others more than it protects the wearer, it still offers some protection from inhaling others' breath and possible virus particles. This is also proven science.

@Helen350

I have listened to scientist that are on the other side of the fence with wearing mask, so I dis agree with you Sarah.  

I suggest you go to https://thehighwire.com  - you will find some compelling evidence that Mask are not the answer. 

shared ventilation, hvac, ducting, moving air probably biggest problem.

We don't have ducting in the UK. There is not much transfer of air from one room to another, apart from what escapes when opening doors.

The best compromise in shared listings would be for guests to STAY IN THEIR BEDROOMS & not have access to kitchen/dining room/living room. I'm sure most will be happy to compromise in the circumstances.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Renée40,

Almost all of the items that are displayed in the picture of the continental breakfast come in smaller, individual sizes (e.g., almond milk, cold cereal, yogurt, fruits, instant oatmeal, etc.), and could be placed in the rooms and fridges.  For hygiene purposes, just tell the guests to bring their used dishes to the kitchen, and that they can pick up a fresh set later in the day.

You've had different experiences than I have with guests and TVs.  We have three guest suites on the same level, and each has a TV, but the guests have never played any of them loud enough where the actual sound was discernable from the hallway.  However, I do have a house rule about noise.  

Everyone hosts a little differently, and here's what I do.  When I get reservations, I tell guests in my introductory message that during check-in I will be wearing a mask, and maintain social distancing during the walkthrough of their rented space.  Thus far, every guest has also worn a mask and complied with social distancing.  The interactions with my guests usually are not long conversations as I may speak with them for a few minutes when they are leaving or returning.    I don't foresee the need to wear a mask in my home for extended periods of time.  Even if we shared a kitchen, I wouldn't linger in the same space while they were preparing their food or eating in the dining area.

This is actually the first useful comment I have seen to help people work around this problem so thank you for the suggestions around a small bar fridge and TV. I had not thought of this before.  Personally I am seeing a decline in bookings at my property since this rule was introduced. I normally host every week or two in my home and have had not had a single enquiry recently. I live in Australia where like NZ, COViD is almost non existent so it is very restrictive given our current circumstances to need to wear masks especially in my home environment. My personal view is that it should have always remained optional and agreed upon between host and guest but I don’t live in a place where it is such a threat.