The new Covid-19 Mask requirement.

Renée40
Level 4
Toquerville, UT

The new Covid-19 Mask requirement.

I'm really concerned about airbnb's new demands that we wear a mask in our own homes. I can't do it, nor is it necessary here. I have a B&B, which by definition in our town means I run this business in my own home and care for my guests personally. 

I do social distance as much as the guest would like me to. I understand fear, and I respect another person's feelings in general. But this is beyond intrusive. Most businesses are not requiring masks in Southern Utah, it's just a suggestion as we are at yellow.

That's not really the point. The issue is that they are making one rule for the whole of North America without any regard to local conditions.

Yes Covid-19 cases continue to go up, but at the same time the hospitalization and death rate is going down down down. The people we know who have had the disease and recovered did so at home without a doctor's care. I'm aware this is anecdotal, but it is certainly our experience.

I'm much more afraid of overreaching mandates than I am of this disease at this point. It's obviously mutated as all viruses do and is not as virulent as it was once reported to be.

Here's a scenario for discussion; What if a host has already had it? Immunity has proven to be the norm, just as in the case  of other viruses. You can only get it once. That one study stating otherwise was proven false. So if a host has already gotten it and recovered then why would one need to wear a mask? 

Renee S Garner
96 Replies 96

Now we are all epidemiologists ... I don't understand and maybe I misunderstand you. Today, treatments are still NOT sufficient in many cases, it is CLEAR that it is important to SLOW DOWN infections NOW. All experts say the same. Do you see what happens in Europe? Where everyone is treated for free, where everyone is a number and enters all hospital departments: few places in intensive care and therefore lockdown or a lot of deaths. It's not good not to have intensive care places, terrible for any disease. I have fear of those who live superficially without fear. @Renée40 

Now we are all epidemiologists ... maybe I misunderstand you. Today, treatments are still NOT sufficient in many cases, it is CLEAR that it is important to SLOW DOWN infections NOW. All experts say the same. Do you see what happens in Europe? Where everyone is treated for free, where everyone is a number and enters all hospital departments: few places in intensive care and therefore lockdown. It's not good not to have intensive care places, terrible for any disease. I have fear of those who live superficially without fear. @Renée40 

Your ICUs are filled to capacity with COVID patients! Your medical personnel are overwhelmed and crying out for people to stop spreading this around. If you don't think this matters, it's pointless to talk to you. @Renée40

This is false, ICUs are not nor ever have been filled to capacity....please stop spreading main stream media propaganda.

@Michael-and-Shelly0,

There are numerous comments regarding COVID-19 related hospitalizations, and available ICU beds (for all ailments).  Would you please provide us a credible source for the available ICU capacity in the US?  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

And it's ridiculous to compare the death rate of the Spanish flu to COVID as a way to downplay the danger of spreading COVID around. The Spanish flu happened in 1918-1920.  Medicine has come a long way i the last 100 years, in case you weren't aware. If we were still operating with the medical knowledge and resources of 1918, the COVID death rate would likely be in the same range as the Spanish flu. @Renée40

Gary869
Level 2
Williamsburg, VA

I also agree with you that this is too far... I live in the country in a rural area and I can not wear one either.  What if we all agreed NOT to agree to this? What are they going to do? Shut all of us down? We create THEIR income? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gary869,

There are far too many hosts who have already signed for the cleaning process and safety guidelines, because either they feel they have no choice, don't plan to really enforce the policy, or haven't really read the details of the policy.  Let's be prepared to see a plethora of postings from hosts who are angry when a guest claims beach of policy, and Airbnb doesn't contact the host for details before canceling the reservation, and not paying the host.  I expect to see things like, "I received a message from Airbnb that said I breached a safety protocol.  They have canceled the reservation for guest XX, and said I will not get paid.  When I contacted them to ask what did I do that was wrong, and when was it supposed to have happened.  They said that they cannot tell me, but not to do it again.  Otherwise, they will delist my place."

I totally agree with you Gary

Rosemary270
Level 3
Seacliff, Australia

We’ve gone off track again.

this thread is not a debate about the virus. It’s about air BnB imposing a global decision  not trusting us to respond in accordance with our region.

My city (Adelaide South Australia) has had no cases in the community for around 6 months. Our borders are closed and we are listed as currently one of the safest bubbles in the world. If we have a second wave we will respond accordingly.

In the meantime our guest would find it quite weird to be greeted by me in a mask requesting them to wear a mask  and stay 2 meters away??!

True! if the goal is safe practice....this moronic subjective mandate is useless and unenforcable!  there are clearly proven protocol and and UN proven. In specific terms of mask use there is very broad spectrum of efficacy which there are published scientific studies done over the past 20 years, most of which ive read and are ignored by the media and the state and airbnb..  the type of mask, material, and proper use matter and if you fail to use a proper mask correctly the minor alleged benefit is nullified.  With that said...... all airbnb asks is that you wear a mask!  a fishnet mask, a halloween mask, a mask around your chin. a filthy two week old mask!  There is no guidance or requirement other than wear one.  what where and how is irrelevant. 

Oh please. It's a given that when it is said to wear a mask, it means a proper mask worn properly. 

It's no wonder Florida has had 4000 new infections daily for the past week, if your attitude is anything to go by.

Doctors and nurses wouldn't have been wearing masks for the past 100 years if they didn't work to stop the spread of infection.

@Michael-and-Shelly0

Given?  that is just ignorant to make such assumptions with any mandated policy that may affect your business or life.  what is a proper mask? or its proper use?   Firstly Sarah, surgical ,ask are not design nor intended for use in preventing the spread of virus.   The is much published scientific literature and studies over the past 15 years addressing mask use and their viral efficacy, and yes I have read almost all.  The medical literature is very clear.... there is no evidence masks stop the spread of virus, masks at best are 10% effective. and....when not strictly used in conjunction with other measures they are no better than not wearing one. some studies show that higher rates of illness occured with those using cloth masks. Im glad to provide the literature if you care to be better informed. I am not here to debate the use of masks or to respond to rude comments.  I am here to learn and be better informed about a policy that may have a large un anticipated effect on my business.  It about being mandated by the platform on how to operate my business.

doctors and nurses throw theirs away after each use. Well except for the woman doctor who died, and she had worn the same mask for over one month

Good point @Michael-and-Shelly0 ! - When I go to the supermarket in the UK for essential food, I wear a snood/neck gaiter, pulled up over my nose & mouth. That meets UK requirements for 'face coverings'. - I was intending to use same for greeting guests (if Airbnb lift the blanket block on hosting in UK). 

Are you saying that's not acceptable @Sarah977 ?

I see your point about doctors & nurses masks, but they are high grade clinical, stop everything. The pretty floral ones, colorful ones, & basically fabric NON-surgical masks, which have become so ubiquitous are NOT surgical grade. Nor are the cheap disposable masks which look like medical masks, but are not that grade... I fact, in the UK, people have been told not to buy medical/surgical masks, so that the supply for doctors & nurses does not run out.