The service level of Airbnb for hosts is not acceptable

Brynja0
Level 4
Akranes, Iceland

The service level of Airbnb for hosts is not acceptable

I had a guest  cancell a booking due to cancelled flight. There are other low cost tickets available for these dates and of course the guest gets the cancelled tickets refunded. There are no other reasons given for cancellation but still Airbnb lets the guest have full refund even though I said no and I have stict cancellation policy. The case manager that handles the case did not respond to my email where I protested and when I called Airbnb I was told that she would be in this morning and would call me. When she did not call me I called Airbnb and was told that she would not be in for the next two days. I was not allowed to speak to other case manager and denied to speak to a supervisor. 

I have a masters degree in business and was a branch manager in a service company for years. This would never have been accepted service level in our company. When someone is on holiday other employees step in and solve the problem. I think Airbnb should realize we, the hosts, are also their customers and without us they would not have any business.

24 Replies 24
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Brynja0

@Brynja0 I understand your frustation - today we just put up with it.. Legislation and poliices favour the customer and we benenti from that when we travel too as guests.  Honestly don't waste too much time (phusical or mental on this as it will not hel and only stress you out

Does anyone have the number to air bnb

@Randy116  Here you go:

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Brynja

Perhaps it's better to phone directly and speak with an air bnb operator rather than email as I've found I get much quicker and better advice

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Brynja

Perhaps it's better to phone directly and speak with an air bnb operator rather than via snottogram ,as I've found I get much quicker and better advice if I speak very nicely to the operator .

Hello Victoria

I phoned but with no result.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I would try again and be overly extra polite as goodness knows what **bleep** the phone operator had to listen before they took your enquiry.....just a thought.

I hope you get this resolved.

What about suggesting a 50% refund or have they just shut you down?

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

But how could your response be worthy of a  business degree?  The plane ticket was cancelled. End of story. That is an extenuating circumstnace and is fair. FAIR. Why would you expect them to take another flight? ABB did the right thing although it doesn't seem like that now.  Anna

I think you should read Airbnb´s extenuating circumstances policy. It seams you don´t know what you are talking about.  Flight cancellation is not enough, you need two things, not one.  Airport and road closures that make it impossible to travel to your destination. This includes closures caused by natural disasters like earthquakes or severe storms. You’ll be asked to provide a notice of the road closure, or notice of the airport closure and proof that the flight was canceled.

@Andreas-and-Anna0 It's not at all extenuating circumstances  when it is just a simple flight cancellation. The guest should have travel insurance. And they should cover the loss not the host. Do you think a hotel would give the guests her money back? Of course not!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Brynja0 ,

why are You opening 2 identical threads on the same topic?

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Strict-cancellation-and-yet-Airbnb-refunds-gusts-in-full/m-...

And why don't You refer to the advise You got from Letti and me but come up with something completely different all of a sudden in the other thread?

Hello Ute

No, this is about the service level of Airbnb and how they treat their hosts.  In the other I´m looking for advise regarding the case. I didn´t think it´s the same but of course this one is based on my frustration with their service. I´m really thankful for your advise and am trying to use it, but that is difficult when you don´t get to talk to a person that has a say in the matter.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brynja0   I agree that many of Airbnb's service reps are clueless and aren't well versed in actual written policy. I know how frustrating that is.

But I also have to say that refusing to refund a reservation that's still 4 months out (you said in the other thread that the reservation was for February) is pretty greedy. Surely you have time to get other bookings for that period. It would be different if they had cancelled a week or two before, then I think hosts should stick to their cancellation policy, unless they are able to rebook the dates.

@Sarah977  I agree with you and I always tell guests if I can rebook I will refund them and then I do once the stay is paid for to me. They will get a refund it may take a bit of time, but they are refunded. I am not going to refund out of pocket until I am paid no refund, so in this case they would not be refunded until February but they would be refunded if I rebooked the dates in question. I had a guest cancel and someone rebooked the dates I refunded in full then new guests who booked a month later canceled two and half weeks before trip, so until I see the funds no refund been burned once not going to happen again.