The service level of Airbnb for hosts is not acceptable

Brynja0
Level 4
Akranes, Iceland

The service level of Airbnb for hosts is not acceptable

I had a guest  cancell a booking due to cancelled flight. There are other low cost tickets available for these dates and of course the guest gets the cancelled tickets refunded. There are no other reasons given for cancellation but still Airbnb lets the guest have full refund even though I said no and I have stict cancellation policy. The case manager that handles the case did not respond to my email where I protested and when I called Airbnb I was told that she would be in this morning and would call me. When she did not call me I called Airbnb and was told that she would not be in for the next two days. I was not allowed to speak to other case manager and denied to speak to a supervisor. 

I have a masters degree in business and was a branch manager in a service company for years. This would never have been accepted service level in our company. When someone is on holiday other employees step in and solve the problem. I think Airbnb should realize we, the hosts, are also their customers and without us they would not have any business.

24 Replies 24
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I have the same attitude. I have  a Strict cancellation policy, but I will refund the guest if I think it's reasonable, providing I get another booking. I will, however, wait until I know the new booking is secure and I know I'll get the full payment for it.

As for dealing with Airbnb CS. Yes, always better to phone. I find that they are very responsive via telpehone but pretty much useless at following up via email. You do sometimes get someone on the phone that is useless too, so then you maybe have to try again to get someone more reasonable.

Donna119
Level 2
Napier, New Zealand

Hi,  I agree with you 100%

Ive been hosting 2 years and earlier on I couldnt understand why people were cancelling a day before arriving !

My daughter who is also a host said to tighten my cancellations to strict because otherwise the day before they can find something else cheaper, cancel and get a full refund, go somewhere else, and I havnt got time to fill the dates. I did that.

Last week a lady told me she wasnt coming 3 days before(she had booked 3 months ago) the start date but because I had a strict policy she will send her husband instead as cancelling was not an option... she didnt ask if it was ok to send her husband, which is WAS NOT OK he doesnt even have an airbnb account,  and then I kept waiting for 5 days, I asked to advise me when he was coming, he didnt show up and no one contacted me at all. And now Im supposed to leave feedback for her. She did not ask for a refund, and I did not offer it. She has poor communicator noted on her feedback already... Its not easy being a host thats for sure. Good Luck, stick to your guns, guests must read the rules and stick to them.

Seems like it's a pretty straightforward review, no?

Linda-R-0
Level 1
Natalia, TX

This Happened to me, and now I’m advising guests to read the cancellation policy, because I’m no longer returning any monies due to cancelations...AirBNBwas very helpful, and said if I wanted to return it was up to me. But the  guest had my number and hartases me, so I returned her money I have strict policy as well! But I agree with you, canecelations. For reservations normally don’t give money back..... Hotels, Car rentals etc. 

@Linda-R-0    If a guest is harrassing you by phone,  just block her number, no?

@Linda-R-0  If the guest is harassing you this all the more reason never to refund them a dime. Do not give into it the next time, block the number and report the guest. You have a strict policy for a reason, use it as it was intended. If I can rebook I do refund, but only once I've been actually paid. 

Linda-R-0
Level 1
Natalia, TX

Yes I did! 

Eddy43
Level 1
La Thuile, Italy

It's incredible how Airbnb do not realise how their ridiculous cancellation policy regulations are affecting their business. Many owners won't accept booking requests through Airbnb for certain dates like high season periods just because Airbnb don't allow owners to list their own cancellation conditions appropriate to their properties. Guest will eventually find the same property on other OTA's that don't impose these stupid rules and still book anyway through them. Come on Airbnb you have a pretty good rating as being almost second biggest OTA in the world.....wake up and become no. 1

Marion406
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

AirBnB has in 4 years NEVER backed us as hosts. We are ready to stop hosting after the last incident

100 % agree. Just took money back. Because of their - to me - illegal cancellation policy. Extenuating circumstances...

Treat you as simple bank account.