The struggle with short term rentals and Covid Cancellations questions.

Katy347
Level 2
Morristown, VT

The struggle with short term rentals and Covid Cancellations questions.

Hi There,

I am not new to Airbnb but new to this platform of bouncing idea's off one another to see advice. I need some advice on what others are doing during this time with renters that don't understand the risks of renting.

I recently have had a renter that was new to Airbnb that doesn't understand we are not like other rental websites. She kept referring to VRBO as her go-to.  She did not read the cancellation policy before booking and did not do her homework before booking a Christmas rental. This was also a mother trying to book a rental for her daughter and was reaching out to my personal email to get a lease. This was something she had done with VRBO. I tried explaining to her that Airbnb was not like VRBO in that the house rules are apart of your lease and when you book you are electronically signing an agreement to follow those rules.   She also forced me to send her a lease via email which I then referred her back to the Airbnb policies online. She asked what cancelation policy was if there was a COIVD shutdown and being a short-term renter our policy is set on Strict. We can not hold a rental if you are not able to commit to proper quarantining rules or a shutdown happens, There are people that are will or will need these homes if that occurs.  I tried referring her back to these policies but in the end, she got aggravated and downright rude forcing me to cancel her reservation. She still thinks her Reservation is in motion even though it has been canceled we also reported her for misuse of Airbnb and being rude to the host. She still continues to contact me via, phone and Email to work out a rental. What are other hosts doing in this situation? I spend hours explaining to people our cancellation policies and looking for a way to help people faster without spending hours doing so. 

Thanks for listening, 

Katy 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"She still continues to contact me via, phone and Email to work out a rental. "

Block her number on your phone and block her on your email. Tell Airbnb she is continuing to harass you and that that she seems to think she still has a booking when it has been cancelled. Ask them to explain to her that her booking is cancelled and that she needs to cease her harassment.

@Katy347

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Katy347 

In this situation - I would respond with "Sorry, Miss guest, this conversation is over. Please do not contact me again." And then I would stop responding to all communication. You are in charge here. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Katy347  If she didn't do her homework, why on earth should or would YOU do it for her? Given how rude she is to boot. I'm with @Emilia42  and @Sarah977 . Bye Bye.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Katy347  Cut your losses early.  Once I had told the person the details/rules/whatever one or two times and they continued to not get it, that would be red flag enough for me to not move forward because people who can't understand things that are pretty basic, Airbnb rules, while often moronic are generally straightforward, are going to be people who can't understand a lot of things and those are people you don't want in your property.