Theft of small items

Alicia828
Level 2
Sydney, Canada

Theft of small items

Hello. I’m new to hosting so I’m hoping someone can give me advice. I had a guest for two nights who stole one of my towels, multiple dish towels, and left a tear in my couch. I was able to fix the couch and the towels are not a huge deal so I’m not going to call the police or anything. But my issue is that I want to leave him a terrible review so no one else allows him to do the same. He lives only 30 minutes from me and I’m worried that he will find out. Is there a way to warn other hosts without the guest being aware? I know it sounds odd but it’s myself and my son living above this Airbnb. 

thank you for your help! ❤️

4 Replies 4
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Alicia828  It’s understandable, your hesitation to leave an honest review, given what you’ve shared. Your fellow hosts do appreciate your desire to do so anyway.  "Is there a way to warn other hosts without the guest being aware?" I'm afraid not. This is how reviews work on Airbnb,

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/13/reviews-for-stays

The thing is, if missing towels and a couch tear were the worst of the guest’s transgressions, I’m not sure a ‘terrible’ review is warranted (though  it would have been nice for the guest  to inform you of the damaged couch). Once you’ve had a guest throw a huge party, trash your home and/or steal the tv, smaller incidents like missing tea towels are often put into perspective. 

Was this guest new to Airbnb and perhaps a bit uninitiated in the etiquette of being a guest? Is it possible the guest used the towels for cleaning up some messes and they were ruined in the process and they threw them out?

You can always start a review for a guest you found difficult by saying something positive, and then mention the issue. Perhaps for this guest you could say their communication could be improved. You have the option to include private  feedback to the guest when submitting the review. You might just mention that it’s good form to let a host know when things get damaged or go missing, ask them what happened with the towels, and say that you would have appreciated a note about the couch. 

With Airbnb, prevention is the name of the game. Going forward, watch for certain red flags and don't hesitate to decline a guest you feel uncomfortable with. Local bookings can often lead to problems. Search this forum to learn about other possible red flags and various  hosting pitfalls.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Unfortunately, petty theft is endemic.   I can't tell you how many things have 'walked' with guests - quilted bed covers, decorative pillows, hair dryers, books (including expensive coffee table books), picnic blankets, an entire crockery setting for 4 people still in its box, numerous towels, items of cutlery (dessert spoons and knives mostly), table linen etc etc.   Unfortunately, I often didn't notice an item was missing until too late.

I now photograph every room in detail before each new check in, including opening drawers and cupboards. 

Even then, when politely requesting the return of an item a guest will always, always deny the theft.   I too live above my listing and it disgusts me when I realise I've rented to thieves.  It's such a sense of betrayal.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I would write something like: I hosted xx and he arrived on time and left the apartment nite and tidy (or whatever positive I could tell) so I was surprised to discover xx towels are missing and the couch was damaged when he left. Sorry to say but based on this experience I wouldn’t host x again

Very helpful, Thank you!