Third party booking and contacting the host

Alex7630
Level 1
Munich, Germany

Third party booking and contacting the host

Hello community 🙂

My friend booked a trip for us and added me to the trip. She was about to arrive first so she was in touch with the host. But plans changed so I will arrive earlier than my friend and I will check in.

Problem: I can only call my host (via Skype, browser-extension). I cannot message the host, only my friend can.

Question: how can I get in touch with my host via the message system on Airbnb??

Thanks for any help

Xandru

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alex7630 

It is up to the host if he/she will allow this, as useally the person who booked must be the person checking in. So your friend should first inform the host about this situation.

If OK you can contact the host on the listing via "cointact host" link (which is normally used to make an inquiry, so you have to select some random dates).

Hi @Emiel1 

Thanks for your response. My friend added me to the trip so I can see it in my trips + all the additonal info like directions etc. Only I'm not part of the conversation.

I understand your workaround, thanks. But it's only that - a workaround. Tedious.

So Airbnb does not offer this option? Do I lack any acces rights to the conversation maybe?? What's the point in adding someone to a trip then? This is poor user experience design actually, just my two cents.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi, @Alex7630,

Welcome to the community!

Is your title ‘third party’ booking? 

No, Airbnb does NOT allow third-party bookings. They require the person who made the booking to be the person staying at the property. Hosts must be aware that Airbnb's insurance policy does not cover third-party bookings.

I believe that the host will contact Airbnb and cancel the booking immediately if you mention a third-party booking.

Did your friend present every one name and id verify to the host?

If your friend did, that proves you are one of the guests who’s joined the group. Yet, if your friend fails to fill up all the names, I affair the host will not let you check in until the registered guest arrives.

That means it's no way for you to contact the host and access the booking information.

The host only replies to the registered guest.

Can I book on behalf of a friend or family member?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

Unless your friend has a business account, all others are violating Airbnb terms and policy.

Do contact your friend to resolve the issue, and I hope your friend does not make the booking on your behalf.

@Alex7630   If your friend who booked the trip is actually a part of the group who is staying in the property, that is not considered a third-party booking.  Third-party means that the account holder in the transaction is not physically staying as a guest. You're best off ignoring the advice of anyone who seems to have misunderstood the nature of your situation.

Most hosts would like to be informed of which member of a group will be checking in first, especially if they are conducting in-person check-ins. But they prefer to be informed in advance of the names of all the people in the group, to be sure that the person they supply keys to has been approved by the group leader.

In larger groups, it's really stressful for a host to have to coordinate a bunch of people who are arriving separately and disorganized. The person who placed the booking should accept the responsibility to relay any updates to the host about changes to the check-in plan. If you can't reach the alpha tenant directly, you can open the link from your confirmation email to the listing and click the "Contact Host" button to send a message to the host, but this should only be the last resort.