Third party booking because more expensive from the traveller's end?

Answered!
Toni173
Level 3
Fairlight, Australia

Third party booking because more expensive from the traveller's end?

Hi

I am new to hosting and finally received my first booking yesterday (my listing is near impossible to find). Unfortunately it is through a third party - they said it was 200 pounds dearer to book from the UK than it was for his friend in Australia to book. Neither of them have a profile/history although the booker has been verified. Given this is my first booking (I selected instant booking as I was desperate to get some bookings/ratings) I'm a little anxious that I may be too trusting  after reading some comments in this forum - I've communicated directly via email with the guest in the UK and he seems literate and sounds nice. What is the worst thing that can happen? We live on site and there's only 1 guy staying - should we be concerned? I'm awaiting my first review so my listing isn't so hard to find and realise this will be difficult given it's a third party booking. 🙂

Can someone please offer me advice so I can sleep at night? Is it possible that the 200 pound difference in price is true and if so how does this work?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Toni173   Third party bookings are against Airbnb's terms of service. If the person who books is not one of the people who stays, you will not be covered for anything should you have a problem with the guest. Don't accept this- call Airbnb to cancel it for you on the grounds that it's a third party booking, and let the guest know that you have to do this, as it's against the TOS. 

I know you're anxious to get your first booking, but this is not the way to start out. More bookings will come, be patient.

The guest's finances are his problem, not yours. He can call airbnb to question and complain about the discrepancy in price if he so chooses.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Toni173   Third party bookings are against Airbnb's terms of service. If the person who books is not one of the people who stays, you will not be covered for anything should you have a problem with the guest. Don't accept this- call Airbnb to cancel it for you on the grounds that it's a third party booking, and let the guest know that you have to do this, as it's against the TOS. 

I know you're anxious to get your first booking, but this is not the way to start out. More bookings will come, be patient.

The guest's finances are his problem, not yours. He can call airbnb to question and complain about the discrepancy in price if he so chooses.

Thanks Sarah - I appreciate the advice!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking.

Andrei75
Level 2
Danbury, CT

This is great, I've just has similar situation when someone booked for relative, thinking it could be whoever they say, but if something happens Airbnb wouldn't cover the situation with anything. 

Here is the link which explains our stance on third party bookings. You can find more information in the help center as well.

/help/article/427

I hope it helps anyone as it certainly eased my worries.

Happy hosting,

- Andrei