Third party bookings - prohibit or change the process

Erin147
Level 9
Madison, WI

Third party bookings - prohibit or change the process

We've recently had a number of inquiries from people who are trying to book on behalf of friends or family, but are not actually the ones who will be staying with us.  This raises security issues for us as a host since we have no idea who is actually staying with us.  We now have a policy (stated on our page) that we will not accept third party bookings, and that at least one traveler must make the reservation.  It would be great if Airbnb could enforce this policy, or at least require the booker to name the guests who will be staying, and "link" their profiles to the inquiry.  

7 Replies 7
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Josh & Erin

A simple solution would be an "Airbnb ID Card" at least one person must produce the "AidC" to gain entrance to one's property.

But what about keyless enter I hear you say, people who have keyless enter do not seem to worry much, about who stays at their property.

Don't hold your breath on this one.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Erin147  Actually the policy already exists on Airbnb Terms and Conditions.  3rd Party Bookings are not allowed unless they are booking for their employees to stay at an approved Business Approved Airbnb listing but both parties MUST HAVE a profile.  

You are more then welcome to send the policy link to the guests asking you  to take a booking if they are trying to book for a family member.  That solves all the issues.  I dont' get into chats with people, I just send them the link so they can read the policy about 3rd party bookings.  It quickly educates them.  

For your protections, just ask each person who contacts you if they are the one actually staying with you. IF they say no, send them the policy link from the website like I do.  

Take a look at my House Rules.  You will see why I  don't encounter these issues.  

Hope this helps you.

@Cormac0  A lot of hosts make this mistake because they haven't taken the time to read the T & C's.  Insurance won't protect any guests booking for another person.  Hence why everyone must registered each guests at my home with photo and full name prior to a booking being accepted by me.  I even ask them to register the profile if the guests is already on ABB with their own account.   It works great for me. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Erin147
Level 9
Madison, WI

@Momi0 Thanks so much for your advice.  I tried searching for the terms and conditions that prohibit third party bookings and could not find them. Could you please send me the linke that you mentioned?  We would really appreciate it!  We also include this rule in our posting, but it is difficult to get people to read anything thoroughly.  Thanks again!

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Erin147   - ARTICLE ON AIRBNB WEBSITE COPIED AND PASTED FOR YOU.  This is what I send to guests trying to book for a family member.  (IF you note, Airbnb language says:  We REQUIRE.....)

I specifically write:  "Please READ the policy of Airbnb.  Please have your family member set up their own account.  I am happy to refer my $40 promo credit to help them get started to book our home.  Thank you for complying with the Airbnb policy."

AIRBNB POLICY

Can I book on behalf of a friend or family member?

Transparency and trust are vital to the Airbnb experience. People rely on information in Airbnb profiles, reviews, and other verifications when deciding whether to host or stay with someone.

We require Airbnb reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the listing.

Instead of making a reservation for someone else, consider referring them to Airbnb. You can refer them to Airbnb directly from your dashboard by clicking the Invite Friends button. When a referred friend or family member successfully completes a qualifying reservation, you’ll earn travel credit.

For business trips, Airbnb allows designated bookers at companies enrolled in Airbnb for Business to book trips on behalf of others. If you book travel for a company, read more.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Erin147  You are very welcome 🙂

By the way, did you know you can save this Airbnb policy article as one of your auto saved messages in your account?  I have many things saved so I can send it to the potential guests without having to keep looking it up, to copy and paste. 

The new feature of auto -saved messages has been a brillant feature for me since I do A LOT of communicating with my guests....and I mean A LOT.  haha

I even have my 12 House Rules as a Saved message because I have discovered that some guests phones do not download the entire House Rules page (glitch in system on mobile app)  and it makes it so much easier for them to read it if I send it through the messaging site.  Many have thanked me for this.   You can also send photos now too.  

Aloha, Momi

Erin147
Level 9
Madison, WI

@Momi0  Yes! That is an excellent feature -- saves so much time!  Thank you for the link to the Airbnb Q&A.  Much appreciated!

Benilde0
Level 2
Montclair, NJ

Help! I have had a three different requests from potential guests who either don't have a profile or I can't access the profile. I've rejected the first 2 after having many emails back and forth to no avail. I don't want to reject a third person. I've been trying to figure out how to see the profile and how to help this person, who I believe is new to Airbnb, but I can't figure it out or get any help from Airbnb. Very frustrating. Ideas?