This thing with "surge pricing"

Satya8
Level 2
Pennsylvania, United States

This thing with "surge pricing"

I describe my question below. It is a copy of what I asked AirBnb to respond to (still waiting for a reply)."

I was trying to find a place for my daughter in Newark, DE. The first listing that came up was:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/31950308?adults=1&toddlers=0&check_in=2019-03-01&check_out=2019-03-15&g...
However there is a discrepancy in pricing. The list price is $28 per night and it jumps up to $31 /night when it gives the total cost. When I asked the host, her response was that it was the result of surge pricing practice by AirBnb. Here is how I responded to her:
I read through the surge pricing info on Airbnb. What I do not get is the listing still showing $28 (at 4:54 pm) but still jumping to $31 on the booking screen. This is clearly deceptive of the "bait and switch" kind. So the weekly discount is more than offset! It is only a $42 difference, but it is a practice (on the part of Airbnb, as you said) that I don't like. I will wait to see what my daughter has to say.

Can you please explain this price increase to me? I would think surge price would show on the listing page, and then be consistent throughout...

13 Replies 13
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Satya8 unfortunately Airbnb shows only the lowest available rate until you enter your dates. You can avoid this problem by always entering your dates to search.

That isn't the problem. Logged in and with dates selected it does exactly what the poster said above. It switches when you go to book it. I'm having the same exact issue where the house I want to book is $141 a night, when I click to reserve it, it jumps to $190! I contacted the host because earlier I was logged into an old account that isn't verified and it let me book at $141. Something isn't right or glitching. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Air BNB does not have "surge pricing" per se as seen with Uber and Lyft, @Satya8. However, if a host selects an Air BNB price management, the host provides a range of acceptable rates and Air BNB will select the rate that meets the level of demand.  This is also what hotels do, so it is not unique to Air BNB.  As @Lisa723 has noted, the rate is related to dates and without dates the published rate is the lowest.  

I am curious how you find this process different than other accommodation searches.  I do not use the Air BNB price management, but I do have an idea of when there is more demand and therefore I adjust the rate for those dates.

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

The airbnb Algorithms give you suggested pricing which is a good guide but I would treat with caution as they are very generalised. Best bet is to study your market and test until you hit the sweet spot...this generally get you better than the auto pricing suggestions

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Linda108 VRBO shows average price, and labels it as such, and has a red banner saying "enter dates for accurate pricing." Much better.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Satya8   I have the same price for my listing every day of the year, I don't use any pricing engine, so there aren't any surprises according to dates chosen. Unfortunately, there aren't any filters for finding places like that. 

Satya8
Level 2

Thanks Sarah.  That makes it clear.  Where are you in Mexico? We are planning a trip to Mexico in June.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Satya8 It says right on my profile- I'm in Sayulita- it's about an hour north of Puerto Vallarta.

Satya8
Level 2

Yeah. I caught that, but a second late!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Satya8

On my version of Airbnb's website, it only shows the price per night after I put in dates, which is obviously the simplest solution.

Satya8
Level 2

I agree. In order to show price, maybe putting in dates and no. of guests can be required.  Then, as Cormac says, there would be no problem with changing prices.  Do people think that this would be a burden to people looking for prices?

1. I cancelled a reservation over this very thing. I booked a home in Woodward PA that was $141 a night, after logging in it had increased to $190 a night! I relized this after my booking and cancelled it right away. I might cancel my entire trip (flights, summer camp for my son at Woodward) over this!!! Price matters, as does integrity in pricing. 

In the travel industry, it's quite common to see the lowest possible price for a flight or hotel or car rental....... until you put in specific dates/times and other details.