Tipping etiquette (in Mexico City)

Jean700
Level 1
New York, NY

Tipping etiquette (in Mexico City)

I'm a guest staying in a building with 24-hour security. There are two men who each work 12-hour shifts. How much do I tip each security guard (and, do I tip them?) Also, we will be leaving our bags with one of them when we need to check out, a few hours before we leave for the airport. How much extra do we tip that guard for keeping our bags? And, lastly, we have paid extra for a cleaning fee/service. But, I am assuming the fee is going to a company or the host, and not necessarily to the cleaner. How much should we leave the cleaner? Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jean700  How nice of you to think of this. People in these types of jobs in Mexico usually earn shockingly low wages and will be very appreciative of a tip. The Mexican minimum daily wage is something like about 90 pesos, the equivalent of about $4.50US, although many people get paid more than that, especially in heavily touristy areas. For instance, where I live, maids are up to about 100 pesos/hr. ($5) now. Which is still peanuts to most of us.

I honestly don't know exactly how much to recommend-one of the problems I've found living in Mexico is that some foreigners tend to tip so much that the locals come to expect it, and then start giving you dirty looks if you can't afford to tip that much. Also, tipping a security guard some grand amount might lead them to think you are loaded and maybe your stuff won't  be so safe. 

Off the top of my head I'd say if you tipped each security guard 100-150 pesos, they'd be appreciative. I'd tip the maid 50 pesos/day. But if it's a really fancy, high end place, they could be accustomed to getting larger tips. 

Maybe some other Mexican hosts will chime in here. And you could also ask your host what they feel is an appropriate tip for their staff.

Thanks, @Sarah977 ...very helpful response!

Juan2598
Level 1
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Hi, 
We are based in Mexico and my daughter, who married a European compiled this list, which we now use in our Guidebook for future guests. I hope it provides you an overview. For the guard, Id tip the same as for the cleaner below. 

In Mexico most service employees earn very little, therefore tipping is very important. Anyone who provides you a service expects to be tipped in Mexico. A range between 10-50 pesos per service is appropriate, depending on the service. This is an overview on how to tip:

• Taxi drivers: people do not normally tip taxi drivers. 

• Restaurant waiters/waitresses: it is customary to leave a tip between 10% and 15% of the cost of the food. The tip is given only after you have paid and the waiter/waitress is giving you change. Alternatively, you can also leave the tip on the table. 
  • Housekeeper/cleaners: housekeepers should be tipped based on the occupancy and cleanliness of your room; 50-90 pesos per bedroom, per housekeeping visit. Please tip more if your room is very messy 

• Musicians & bands: remember to leave a tip in the musician/band's tip jar.  For an evening of entertainment, 90 pesos is suggested as a minimum. 

• Skycaps/baggage handlers/bell boys: a tip of 20-40 pesos per bag is customary. 

• Grocery stores: most people leave the bagging clerks between 5 to 20 pesos, more if they take your cart out to your car for you and help you load your groceries. 

• Spa service providers (massage therapists, aestheticians, manicurists, hair stylists) are usually tipped 15-20% of the cost of the spa treatment. The exception to the rule: no tip is necessary if the service is provided by a medical professional, such as a nurse or doctor.

• Tour and activity guides, including fishing trips: the group should leave a tip that is equivalent to 15-20% of the cost of the tour.