Tips and advice for a new host

Emma2894
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Tips and advice for a new host

Hi guys

This is my first time as a host and I'm a bit nervous because I'm Airbnbing out my own home - not a rental space but the place where I actually live. I've done everything I can to prepare for the guests and have come to accept that now I just have to let go and trust everything will be ok, or else that things are replaceable. Still any words of advice and/or reassurance from other hosts would be most welcome.

Also one small question: do you leave personal effects like photos up and around the house, or do you take them down? I'm sort of in two minds about it, to be honest I feel like it can remind people it's my home and I live here, and on the other hand I wonder if it's a bit intrusive if they're peering at me. ^^

Cheers

Emma

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello Emma,

Please note there is also a Dutch community: Community-Center-Dutch

I noticed on your listing first date available is 17 nov.

Do you already have a booking ?

i personally would not like strangers are looking at my personal things, like photos.

Happy hosting,

Emiel

@Emma2894  In earlier years, most Airbnb listings were places where people lived. Now, those seem to be outnumbered by soulless investment properties, so some portion of guests have come to expect that they contain no trace of a resident's daily life. Those guests are not a good fit for your home, so it's best for your listing to emphasize that it's an authentic, lived-in household and not just a holiday let.

That said, personal photos and documents are among the things I'd lock away when guests are staying - mostly for my own privacy. 

Emma2894
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hello @Emiel1 and @Anonymous thanks for your feedback! In the end I decided to leave (only a few) photos up because I thought it would help remind them it was someone's home and make it feel a bit more real - compared to somewhere that doesn't have a trace of it being yours at all. It was only a few photos on the fridge but either way they were lovely guests and I can only hope that it helped. 🙂

My place is available it's just that I have custom settings for minimum 4 days during the summer - since I will be away and a friend is helping me, it's too much trouble to be switching guests every 2 days or so. Thanks a lot for your replies!