Tips on writing this negative review

Tips on writing this negative review

Hi there,

We have a beautiful tiny house which has been doing really well as a 'romantic getaway' since we moved to Airbnb in the autumn. However, last weekend we had some pretty terrible guests and I wondered if anyone has any good advice about how and when I should should write their review?

They arrived early and sent a message asking if they could go in - I sent them a lovely, 'Welcome! No problem, have a lovely holiday.' We heard nothing more and just assumed they wanted privacy.

However, when they had left we found our tiny house covered in bright pink sticky stains - this was all over the linen (white duvet cover, sheets and pillow slips), and two of the fluffy white towels were soaked in it. They had stripped the bed and rolled the linen in a ball on floor (I'm guessing to hide all the enormous pink marks). They had also turned one of the comfy seat covers upside down and when I turned it back there was a pretty disgusting yellow stain on it which looked and smelt like urine. The floor was sticky underfoot and when I picked up one of the kitchenette chairs it was sticky to touch. In the shower room they had run out of toilet paper (despite being left two large rolls) and were using make-up remover pads despite a clear notice explaining that we are not on mains drains and this can break the system.

Outside under the veranda the hot tub water had been half emptied and the water was grey with lumps of something disgusting in it (we suspect vomit). The blue hot tub towels smelt awful (we wonder if they used them to try to clean up).

Having said all this, they had clearly tried to tidy the mess, had done the washing up and left on time. There was also no damage to any equipment and incredibly, thanks to various stain removing products, I have managed to get the linen clean and the cushion cover is stain free (if a little shrunken).

My guess is that our guests were very young girls - probably students and, judging by the number of bottles of strawberry Sours, Prosecco, Schnapps and cans in the bin, were on a weekend binge. 

My question to you all is this: What is the best way to write a balanced review which doesn't sound like a rant? And how should I rate them on the star system? The girl who booked has had one previous review which was 5 Stars.

I would really appreciate some advice from you more experienced Airbnb-ers!

Obviously, I will not be having them back!!

Thank you very much,

Jane

🙂

15 Replies 15

Thank you Colleen, yes, I really want to warn other hosts because it wasn’t very nice and felt extremely disrespectful. I keep thinking there’s a mother somewhere who would be horrified with her girl’s behaviour!
I will use that link, thank you, that’s really helpful 👍😊