Tips to discourage spring breakers

Rebecca1204
Level 1
Jacksonville Beach, FL

Tips to discourage spring breakers

Hello Everyone-  we are newer hosts and have a small condo in traditionally family-oriented beach community.  However once a year there is a traveling spring break party that comes to our beach.  I do not want to rent our condo to a young partying crowd but I do not know how I can decline a potential guest that I might not want to host without getting dinged for it.  So for now I have that weekend blocked which I hate to do.  Does anyone have any suggestions that might help us avoid being penalized and keep our property open to more responsible guests?  Thanks so much in advance for your wisdom!

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Rebecca1204  Do you have instant book on or off?

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Rebecca1204 

I would:

-Try to rent it! Even responsible adults take a spring break. Every teacher I know is ready to get out of Dodge as soon as mid-March rolls around. 

-Turn off instant book if you have it on 

-Install an exterior camera if you can (I use a Blink that just runs on batteries). 

-Set a minimum stay that you would be comfortable with for the spring break weeks

-Increase your price a bit for the spring break season if you think you can (you know your area best)

-Copy and paste your house rules up in the listing description

-Ask that all guests be registered with an AirBnB profile 

-Don't be afraid to just say: We are so happy to host you for what I hope is a relaxing spring break! Just to make sure we are a good fit before we finalize everything, I want to make sure that you understand that this is a quiet neighborhood and we don't host disruptive gatherings of any kind. Also, we have an awesome cleaner but she doesn't clean vomit, glitter, or anything of that nature. Will this work for you and do you think you can take good care of the apartment during your stay?